IPad 2017 A9

Reaction score
Hey gang. I've been using my Amazon Fire gen5 for my Phantom 4. I won't go in to that. Anyway my wife has given me the green light on a new tablet. I'm thinking of getting the 32g 2017 iPad with the A9 chip. I've searched but there's not much out there so I'm wondering if anyone can give some real world updates on using the 2017 iPad. Is the screen OK in direct sunlight, any lagging or crashes, lines.. Yada Yada? I can get one through Verizon, it will be wifi/cellular 32g since we already have several lines of unlimited data with them for only $259.00 Thanks in advance.

Hi S,

I had the opportunity to try both the new 2017 iPad 9.7" (A9 processor, no anti-reflective coating) and the 2016 iPad Pro 9.7" (A9X processor, with anti-reflective coating).

I felt both processors ran the DJI Go 4 app equally well. The Pro with the anti-reflective coating was noticeably easier to see outside than the non anti-reflective coating iPad. I ultimately chose the Pro as I do not use a hood. Might not make a difference if you are a hood user.

Don Barar

Reactions: vekthor and BillBa
Thanks, I haven't been using a hood though I'm not opposed to one. I knew using my Amazon Fire was temporary so I held off on any accessories. Yeah the iPad Pro is out of my price range right now as it's like $400.00 above the iPad 2017.

Hi S,

Yesterday, Apple released a new iPad Pro with a 10.7" display. The older iPad Pro 9.7" might be available very soon at a substantially reduced price.

Don Barar

My impression was that it is significantly noticeable. The display is already difficult to see when using "flat" styles when capturing in DLog or DCinelike.

What has changed since I did my test is that the most recent release of DJI Go 4 app has an improved preview where the display is enhanced even if you are shooting one of these "flat" styles. So it may make less difference now.

However, if you using Litchi where there is no enhanced display, then display can be very difficult to see under full sun.

Don Barar

I was never an apple user. I had the P3S and with the original djigo app and a samsung galaxy tab E everything was fine. No crashes. With the upgrade to a Phantom 4 and the horrible android version of djigo4 it was just impossible to be confident in long (and even short) flights. So i decided to go for the Ipad 2017 and will never look back. Looks like DJI and Apple are sharing SDK and engineering vecause it's like a new machine. The app itself on the Ipad 2017 works flawless. It's worth saving some to go for it.

Reactions: Per Timmermann
I have used my P4 with iPad Pro 9.7 and 5th gen (2017) iPad now. The 5th gen is a slick bit of kit. Couldn't notice any difference between pro and 5th gen running DJI GO4.

Can anyone tell me if the iPad Pro 9.7 inch has changed within the last year? I know someone that has one for sale that was "bought less than a year ago". Will it have the same A9x chip and True Tone display as say the one you look up on best Buys website?

Last edited:
Ask for the model number listed in the ABOUT section. I just looked at mine and then Googled it. I have the A9x 3rd gen and Tru-Tone.

Geo

She said it was bought within a year. She said it was in perfect condition and she's been using it with Verizon which is who I'm with. It's a 32g iPad Pro and I can get it for $350. Downside.. It's Rose Gold lol

Mine is awesome. I bought it for business, before I got the P4. My first couple of P4 flights were with my Galaxy S7 as usual. (from P2 days) Then, I bought the required cable for the iPad and a hood. I could never go back! Not only the larger display, the IOS version of the Go4 app is much better.

Geo

iPad Air 2 is what I use flawlessly. I got mine for $300 used and as others have mentioned dji and apple must be working together cause it's amazing with no more lag or broken transmission feed. I hear the pros are even better if in the budget. My iPad Air 2 met my budget and I could not be more relieved when I fly now. I use my Samsung galaxy note 3 to fly litchi app and those two work perfect as well. So it appears iOS equals dji, while android equals litchi but I'm sure u know this already.

Reactions: jogforfitness

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumperswaves