Internet access and waypoints map

Reaction score
I am getting ready to purchase the vision plus V3 which will be my first purchase above the tiny Hubsan quad copter I've been playing with for a few months. I have a question regarding the map used for waypoint flights. Is there a way to download maps to your device so that you do not have to be connected to the internet at the time of flight? I would like to use my 7" Samsung Galaxy tablet since it has a larger screen than my cell phone but it does not have cell service except within Wi-Fi range. Also, what map app does this use or is it built into something in the DJI app? Thanks for any answers in advance.

What you want is possible. You should go about as follows. Before you go outside flying connect your samsung galaxy to the internet using a wifi connection. Open the google map app on your samsung and direct it to the area where you plan to fly. That way the area map will by downloaded in the cache-memory within your samsung. Now you can go out flying, using your wifi to connect the dji app to the bird. You don't need a internet connection for maps as the map you need is already available in the cache-memory within you samsung.
Hopefully this helps you.
Regards FA

Thank you. That's wonderful info. After receiving your answer I went out and found out that you can select an area 50 km x 50 km in Google maps on your mobile device and choose to save. You can also save multiple 50 x 50 maps as well and select which one for the area you are going to fly. This is great.

you might find it best to zoom in on the area you want to fly, if the map hasnt cached a close zoom you will be stuck with whatever you cached, this can make a big difference when you are flying as a close zoom on your flying area makes it easier to plan waypoints.

Not sure what the other poster meant about casememory, i find it best to actually open the DJI app and open the ground point section (swipe right to left) on the camera screen and use that to move around your chosen flight area

I just checked and found this on Google's support site: "Your saved map includes streets and maps data. Zoom in to see a detailed view of your offline map." So by downloading the 50 x 50 map it downloads all data to allow you to zoom. This makes me happy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan