Interesting places UK

Reaction score
Watched a drama last evening about Sir Robert Watson Watt who with his team build the first aircraft radar detection system.

Eddie Izzard played Sir Robert and very well too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_Home_Low

The last remaining mast is still standing and approx. 8 miles from where I live, so a visit from my little bird is required.

9504212-4.jpg

Done some filming with my Phantom on Orfordness where they developed Radar. I know that program was a drama but there were so many inaccuracies in it. Those 'maverick' weather men who just came up with aircraft detection had been working for years on developing a similar system to locate lightning by bouncing radio waves of the ionosphere. The idea was to warn pilots of nearby storms but it didn't work that well as you had to have been **** lucky to have the device pointed in the right direction at the right time. Orfordness looked nothing like Orfordness (it doesn't have trees for starters) and Bawdsey Manor looked nothing like the real thing. But hey ho, it was an ok effort.

paulajayne said:
Watched a drama last evening about Sir Robert Watson Watt who with his team build the first aircraft radar detection system.

Eddie Izzard played Sir Robert and very well too.

The last remaining mast is still standing and approx. 8 miles from where I live, so a visit from my little bird is required.
That should be a great video. Would like to see it. :)

Just be careful if flying close to any aerial mast that is still active in any way, as strong radio signals may swamp your receiver and cause you to lose control - as well as possibly affecting the GPS at the same time.

Even relay dishes like this mast appears to have can affect things and you often find amateur radio set ups on old masts as well.

noiseboy72 said:
Just be careful if flying close to any aerial mast that is still active in any way, as strong radio signals may swamp your receiver and cause you to lose control - as well as possibly affecting the GPS at the same time.

Even relay dishes like this mast appears to have can affect things and you often find amateur radio set ups on old masts as well.

Weather here is not good at moment - low cloud and haze - I was planning to film from about 1/2 mile away as not to sure about RF from it.

I will most likely film another location today if the cloud lifts - sunny spell later. I hope.

You will be fine at that distance, I would not get close than that to a large TV transmitter, but with the equipment that's on that mast 300' would be adequate clearance.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl