Increased distance

Reaction score
I have been looking around forums and can't find a discussion on this. I see they are advertising a greater distance on the P3's, did they change anything or just the advertising?

Just wondering.

I have been looking around forums and can't find a discussion on this. I see they are advertising a greater distance on the P3's, did they change anything or just the advertising?

Just wondering.
P3's were good for over a mile in the right locations when they first came out-- the antenna modifications has pushed that beyond 3 miles at the right locations.

P3's were good for over a mile in the right locations when they first came out-- the antenna modifications has pushed that beyond 3 miles at the right locations.
Are you saying after market mods or the mods DJI made?

They had them originally listed around 2km's (I think), now they say 5km, but I might be quoting the numbers wrong.

I'm probably buying one in the spring to replace my P2, not worth buying now, snow and cold on the way here. Lol.

Are you saying after market mods or the mods DJI made?

They had them originally listed around 2km's (I think), now they say 5km, but I might be quoting the numbers wrong.

I'm probably buying one in the spring to replace my P2, not worth buying now, snow and cold on the way here. Lol.
You wont be disappointed:D There are the cheap windsurfer antenna mods, and the More expensive DBS and FPLRV mods. All very good at increased distances in the right locations.

You wont be disappointed:D There are the cheap windsurfer antenna mods, and the More expensive DBS and FPLRV mods. All very good at increased distances in the right locations.
Thanks.

I'm happy with the distance on my P2 for the most part. The odd time I could use a bit more. Stock on a P3 is more than I will ever need. Especially if it is pushing 5 kms. I live in Saskatchewan Canada, flat as a pool table for the most part. Lol.

I haven't pushed my p3p at all and just got some windsurfers delivered today. People that are flying several miles do they still have good live video?

I haven't pushed my p3p at all and just got some windsurfers delivered today. People that are flying several miles do they still have good live video?
It worked well for me-- since gone to the DBS to increase penetration in wooded areas. It helps when there are a few trees in the way if you don't get too close to the ground.

Like always, as long as you've got some clear air between you and the machine, you will definitely have a very significant increase in range. I think some people are expecting a bit too much from their Windsurfers in that some seem to think it will allow them to fly lower/behind buildings etc. This is definitely not the case, they will just allow you to fly further with good video in areas that were safe to fly before with previously shorter distances. I'm getting, on average, about an extra km or so.

That would depend on the area-- somtime you only loose video, but sometime both. The video usually will go first.

Yes, windsurfers will usually double the distance, I've gone over 2 miles, and often go 1.5 to 1.75mi on a typical flight. This is usually limited by battery and my video agenda. The Windsurfer mod is the only mod that doesn't void the DJI warranty, which most people seem to avoid talking about for some reason. They also fit nicely in the backpack, assuming to you get the two piece kit, with two parabolic reflectors. Since these reflectors work pretty good they are a good interim solution until you're outside the warranty period, at which time you can elect to try other mods that involve opening up the controller to make wiring changes to the antenna wires inside. I personally like the mod that replaces the stock antenna with an SMA RF connector, using the same holes. This allows you to screw on a variety of folding antennas in different lengths with omni-direction. Being able to fit the controller in my backpack is important, it adds to the variety of locations I can fly, folding antennas are essential.

This is all on stock set up - over 2.5miles. I could have gone further but the wind was playing up that day. Only on the return was the video feed cutting out sometimes.
Flat dried up lake, no trees etc

20151011_170701.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl