If I mount a right handed polarized cloverleaf antenna on the bottom of my phantom 3 Standard

Reaction score
If I mount a right handed polarized cloverleaf antenna on the bottom of my phantom 3 Standard facing upside-down. Does that change it to a left hand polarized?

On accident I ordered two different polarized antennas online and I'm hoping that I made a mistake on purpose.

I ordered a right hand cloverleaf antenna for my phantom 3 Standard and on accident I ordered a left hand Helical antenna for my controller.

From what I can remember, they have to match to get the best performance. I've always thought about doing this on my P3S.

Make it happen! I bet it's worth it. I used to fly a Hubsan with a VAS "mad mushroom" bird side and a VAS "pepperbox" on the TX both RHCP. My diversity receiver went out the window. I didn't need it. I never lost video feed! Pretty sure circular polarization will kick the crap out of linear performance.

Make sure to post your results!

Last edited:
The only time opposing rotating polarities would be used is in the case of a single or odd number of reflections.

Even then it is not a perfect 'match'.

Cool, I appreciate the help. Yeah I was doing these upgrades to achieve farther range and a better reliable signal (TO CONTROL THE P3S )

Yeah the helical antenna I ordered isn't going to be delivered until next month. So for now I was going to use my ARGTEK Patch antenna on my Sunhauns 2w 5.8ghz booster. But I'm not quite sure what polarized direction it is. Right or left ?

Regardless I ordered 2 different Cloverleaf antennas, Right and left.

But I figured I'd ask someone if they knew before I started trying to switch antennas around.

Also, does anyone know what polarized direction the factory 5.8ghz phantom 3 standard is ?

I was going to use that until I get my power booster, it should be delivered Friday.

Attachments

• 20170423_175519_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20170423_175519_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 574
But yeah, this is what I ordered, the only thing I have installed is the SMA adapters on my Phantom 3 Standard. So far I've tested the Left Hand polarized cloverleaf antennas with the stock antenna on the transmitter. I was going to test the right hand polarized cloverleaf antennas next to see if I can notice a difference with the stock 5.8ghz transmitter.

Yeah its weird that the transmitter has one 5.8ghz antenna and on the drone there is two antennas. I was stuck for 3 hours trying to do some research and find a wiring diagram, to find out what antennas are what. I could not ever find anything, the only thing I could do is search for the part and compare the picture.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-22-14-19-26.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-22-14-19-26.png
    245.3 KB · Views: 448
  • Screenshot_2017-04-22-14-19-18.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-22-14-19-18.png
    286.3 KB · Views: 458
  • 20170423_162553.jpg
    20170423_162553.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 489
Okay, so right or left doesn't matter until I have matching polarized antennas.

Yeah I almost think that I watched a video once about patched antennas and the was they explained it that some do spiral to the point where is does make it circular

Okay, so right or left doesn't matter until I have matching polarized antennas.

Yeah I almost think that I watched a video once about patched antennas and the was they explained it that some do spiral to the point where is does make it circular

Well now you got me thinking lol. I am a big fan of my DBS antenna. If it's circular polarized then running a set of clover leafs for video should increase my feed 10x.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If depends on the brand AOMWAY make some that are circular polarized.

Not sure what method ARGTEK Uses.

Reactions: 805hd
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And this guy shows you how to make a circular polarized patch antenna

I'm almost wanting to open my ARGTEK patched antenna and check and if it's not. Try to modify it so it will be.

Reactions: 805hd
I'm almost wanting to open my ARGTEK patched antenna and check and if it's not. Try to modify it so it will be.

I bet it's linear. I run the DBS and someone just verified for me that it's linear. So I'm stuck with that if I want to keep my DBS. Which I do. At least with the ARGTEK you can change the antennas individually on the TX to match the mods on the bird.

Something like this
5.8GHz Black Cannon V1 (12.5dbic) Helical (LHCP) or this 5.8GHz Crosshair (RHCP) with a properly matched birdside would be intense.

Btw video aerial systems makes some top notch antennas, there are a bunch of videos on their site with some good information.

Still waiting for my helical antenna to come in the mail tomorrow, but I got my 5.8ghz wifi booster today and OMG It makes a huge difference. I had to use my ARGTEK Patch antenna but it still worked and it worked good.

Attachments

• 20170427_182222.jpg
    20170427_182222.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 404
If I use a bunch of cables on my controller, do you think it will bring the power down?

Attachments

• 20170430_114003.jpg
    20170430_114003.jpg
    953.3 KB · Views: 400
Bring the power down? Like signal loss? I wouldn't worry about it unless you got a foot of cable.. lol

This company sells all sorts of sma cables from 2 inch to 200 feet. I can always find the exact length I need rather then settle for something that's too long and they are very high quality.
SMA male to SMA male cables for wireless antennas

I want to see what you get with that heli!

Yeah I got my helical antenna and I tested it and it did not do good at all period before this I was able to go 1500 feet. I was getting farther with the ARGECK patch antenna, after looking at the specs for a helical design, I think the reflector plate is too far away from the coil. With the patch antenna I was able to go 4000 feet. I did look at the specs for the booster and it says it's linear and maybe that's why the helical didn't do good. I think the reflector plate doesn't.

Attachments

• 20170428_191052.jpg
    20170428_191052.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 409
  • container_5-8ghz-helical-antenna-3d-printing-53714.jpg
    container_5-8ghz-helical-antenna-3d-printing-53714.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 401
  • helix6a.jpg
    helix6a.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 330
I'm going to try and do a dual antenna, one helical and one patch

Attachments