i pad mini 4 on sale at beatbuy.

It's a convenience mostly. You can easily have the maps download to the Go4 app and see where the drone is on the map, in relation to the launch point, if you're connected. Without cellular service in the iPad/Tablet, you'll have to use your phone as a hotspot to download your maps in the field, which is just a little different is all. You can also pre-download maps at home before you fly, if you know where you're going to fly, but I find this restricting because I'll often fly spontaneously when I see something as I'm driving along. I'll just pull off the road and fly at a moments notice if I see something interesting.

Also important to know, that with iPad's, when connect to a hotspot, like your phone, you CANNOT reset your homepoint, during flights, if you move the RC location, like in a boat (RTH needs this) You must have an iPad with Cellular to have GPS location services, in order to reset the launch HOME POINT in the GO4 app. Most Android tablets that are non-cellular have GPS for location services, allowing HOME POINT RESET, so that's not an issue with Android.
A BT external GPS works just as well on a Wifi only iPad. That's what the real pilots use in their airplanes, instead of a cellular iPad. Far more accurate and reliable, and won't burn up your iPad battery, like using internal GPS in a cellular iPad will.

A BT external GPS works just as well on a Wifi only iPad. That's what the real pilots use in their airplanes, instead of a cellular iPad. Far more accurate and reliable, and won't burn up your iPad battery, like using internal GPS in a cellular iPad will.
That's a good idea GadgetGuy, especially for someone that already has a wifi only iPad they'd like to use to fly their drone. It appears they only cost around $50.

Blue-tooth GPS receiver

upload_2017-8-23_9-44-38.png

Keep in mind, this is another device you have remember to charge, and you'll need to always be within 30' of this blue-tooth GPS device with your iPad for a good connection, not to mention just making sure you take it with you each time you fly, and remember to turn it on each time you fly. When using a Wifi only iPad, to get equal functionality to a cellular iPad, you'd have to connect to the phone hot spot to download maps in the field, and you'd have to make sure you're connected to the blue-tooth GPS receiver to relocate home point.

For someone making the decision which iPad to buy, "with or without" cellular, I'd suggest paying the extra for cellular support, especially if you're already on Verizon or ATT. It's only $10/mo to add the iPad to the data plan. As much flying as I do, it's just so much simpler IMO. But if you already have an iPad you'd like to use to fly, a booth-tooth GPS is a great alternative.

That's a good idea GadgetGuy, especially for someone that already has a wifi only iPad they'd like to use to fly their drone. It appears they only cost around $50.

Blue-tooth GPS receiver

View attachment 87223

Keep in mind, this is another device you have remember to charge, and you'll need to always be within 30' of this blue-tooth GPS device with your iPad for a good connection, not to mention just making sure you take it with you each time you fly, and remember to turn it on each time you fly. When using a Wifi only iPad, to get equal functionality to a cellular iPad, you'd have to connect to the phone hot spot to download maps in the field, and you'd have to make sure you're connected to the blue-tooth GPS receiver to relocate home point.

For someone making the decision which iPad to buy, "with or without" cellular, I'd suggest paying the extra for cellular support, especially if you're already on Verizon or ATT. It's only $10/mo to add the iPad to the data plan. As much flying as I do, it's just so much simpler IMO. But if you already have an iPad you'd like to use to fly, a booth-tooth GPS is a great alternative.
With a 23 to 30 hour battery life in continuous use, these external BT GPS devices will easily last for 50 flights before ever needing a recharge. I just keep mine in the case with my aircraft, ready for use, should I need to reset my home point, and mine comes with a lanyard, or can easily fit in a shirt pocket. I always connect to the hotspot of my iPhone before launch to have live maps. The cellular iPads are carrier specific, and cost at least a $100 more than a generic Wifi only iPad. In my case, I already owned the BadElf GPS used for a golf GPS app, so my additional cost was zero, and I don't have an extra $10 monthly cost. One other benefit to the Bad Elf is it gives me the altitude I am launching from. This is useful when flying to sea level, to know how far I can descend before getting wet, in case the VPS is thrown off by flying over water. The Bad Elf can be shared by up to 5 devices simultaneously. It's also great when flying in a commercial airline, to find out how fast you are flying, and exactly where you are. Same when riding in a car or a bus. It can be placed in the window or in the cockpit of an airplane while the iPad is inside the cabin where GPS isn't available. It's another cool gadget for a GadgetGuy! :cool:
IMG_6077.jpg

Yes! I put my phone to the airline window all the time to see the speed and elevation. That data is usually on the entertainment display, if you have that on the plane, but I just like to see it, in amazement, knowing how GPS works. It's quite amazing to me how the triangulation works so well, so accurate. That BADboy Elf is a small device, very nice, with a longer life battery. I have a hard time remembering turning stuff off, so the battery life is important, Hah. I know I'd forget. I'm always getting reminded to turn off the RC with the BEEP BEEP BEEP, which has save my *** a few times. I seem to get in a hurry to pack and drive/ride to the next launch site. Does anyone else suffer this, or is it just me? LOL.

The advantage of the BadElf is that it works with all of my WiFi iPads, so I only bought the cellular iPad version when I bought my very first iPad 2, when I didn't know any better. Every other iPad since has been WiFi only. That's 7 Wifi only iPads and one iPhone for hotspotting all of them and one BadElf BT GPS that can be used by any 5 of them at once!

With the LCD display, it's easy to tell when the BadElf is on or off, but a little 10,000 mAh USB brick can quickly recharge it, in case one forgets. I carry the playing card size USB battery brick in my drone case, too. Great for charging or recharging the phone, while being used as a Hotspot.

I still us an ipad mini retina, purchased garmin bluetooth gps receiver for 65 bucks.. it’s old, it runs a little hot, but all still works.. even with IOS 11. flying one of the first phantom 3pro,s sold by B&H photo. Three batteries still all in great shape. Once a months I recharge all batteries and run for 5 minutes each. I always flash to latest rev of firmware, never any flight issues. Just my experience with DJI.. Don’t fly much lately, waiting for a Mavic 2

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94