How to Upgrade Phantom 2 Vision Remote Control

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased the Phantom 2 Vision and I have upgraded all Firmware using the Phantom Assistant. However, I can not figure out how to upgrade the Remote Control's firmware. I have downloaded and installed the RC Assistant. However, I can not figure out where to plug in the USB cable to the RC. My Remote does not have a visual USB jack and I removed the batteries and did not see one in there either.

Do I have to take the unit apart by removing the screws on the bottom of the remote?

How, exactly, do you upgrade the Remote Control. Are their any YouTube videos that explain this?

Your help is highly appreciated.

-DJ SYDVICIOUS

Remove the 4 screws from the back of the RC. Carefully slide/wiggle the back down to get it loose from the antenna ring.
The USB port is on the board inside.

CityZen said:
Remove the 4 screws from the back of the RC. Carefully slide/wiggle the back down to get it loose from the antenna ring.
The USB port is on the board inside.

Thank you! I found it with your help. Unfortunately, after all of that work, the only change in the firmware applies to the new remote.

Apparently, this is considered to be the "old" remote. If I just purchased my PV2 last week, shouldn't I have received a "new" remote (with external USB port) at this late date in the game? I'm guessing they sent me a unit from old stock.

Are there any differences that warrant me shipping this unit back and requesting a unit with the "new" remote? I have 30 days to return or exchange.

djsydvicious said:
.....I'm guessing they sent me a unit from old stock......Are there any differences that warrant me shipping this unit back and requesting a unit with the "new" remote? I have 30 days to return or exchange.
I would at least check with the dealer and ask why old controller.

The only change I know of for the remote is making the USB port external. I don't know of any changes for the Phantoms that use this remote.
Now the new remote (with the dial), that's a different story. But the newest Phantoms cost more too.

Happyflyer said:
djsydvicious said:
.....I'm guessing they sent me a unit from old stock......Are there any differences that warrant me shipping this unit back and requesting a unit with the "new" remote? I have 30 days to return or exchange.

I'm going to call on Monday morning. I would love to not have to open my remote control. Also, I would love to have the updated batteries as well. I ordered an extra battery.

djsydvicious said:
Happyflyer said:
djsydvicious said:

I'm going to call on Monday morning. I would love to not have to open my remote control. Also, I would love to have the updated batteries as well. I ordered an extra battery.

The new transmitter does not come with the Phantom 2 Vision. It only comes with the Phantom 2 Vision +. You would have to purchase the new transmitter separately, as it does work with the Phantom 2 Vision. $99.00 from DJI, BTW...

-Slinger

gunslinger said:
djsydvicious said:
Happyflyer said:
djsydvicious said:

The new transmitter does not come with the Phantom 2 Vision. It only comes with the Phantom 2 Vision +. You would have to purchase the new transmitter separately, as it does work with the Phantom 2 Vision. $99.00 from DJI, BTW...

-Slinger
I'm not referring to the new RC with the wheel on the side. I was informed that zone P2V came with RC that require you to open it to access USB port and the newer ones have the USB port in the outside.

I had to unscrew my RC apart and plug in directly on the board versus just plugging in on the outside.

The revision update changes for the TX were prior to March 2014. IF you had a Vision before that date. then the update required you to open the TX and connect to the USB for the update. If you have Ver 1.4 (see tiny placard and barcode on back of Transmitter) then you do not need to update the TX for the Vision.

The modified 'external USB was only for the Phantom 2 TX. Although, there is a mod on the internet to 'DIY' an external USB connector,... its really not necessary as DJI has stated, there will be no more TX updates for the P2 or Vision,...only owners of the P2 V+ should be concerned with the current TX update.

The Rookie

RCRookie said:
The revision update changes for the TX were prior to March 2014. IF you had a Vision before that date. then the update required you to open the TX and connect to the USB for the update. If you have Ver 1.4 (see tiny placard and barcode on back of Transmitter) then you do not need to update the TX for the Vision.

The modified 'external USB was only for the Phantom 2 TX. Although, there is a mod on the internet to 'DIY' an external USB connector,... its really not necessary as DJI has stated, there will be no more TX updates for the P2 or Vision,...only owners of the P2 V+ should be concerned with the current TX update.

The Rookie
I just bought mine at the beginning of the month. The remote is V1.4 So shouldn't I be concerned that I was shipped Phantom 2 Vision that was shipped before March 2014?

I have already opened it up and updated the firmware even though it did state that the only changes in the update were for Vision+.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl