How to storm chase with your Phantom 4 series drone.

PhantomWetSuits

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Storms happen fast and furious, you have to be ready at a moments notice.

Here is how we do it : Be prepared. Be fearless. and breathe in the adventure of the storm.
Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 7.25.13 PM.png

Get a good battery charger something that charges your batteries and controller , we use the Pro Plus Controller which has proven to be extremely water resistant.

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 7.27.23 PM.png

We stopped using the case long ago and now we keep the props on at all times ready to fly:

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 7.31.13 PM.png

Some of the best storm come when we least expect it, so we make room on the Motorcycle.

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 7.32.35 PM.png

There are a ton of Apps that can help you find the storms coming to a house near you.

Dark Sky is an app that tell you to the minute what is up with the rain , but lightning is hit or miss.

Once your drone is equipped to handle the rain, the next thing is to capture the beauty of the storm.

Most of us will never have the chance to storm chase a tornado but with your phantom 4 pro we do have a chance to capture the adventure of it.

Below is a really nice Capture of a Lightning Strike that is nothing more than a 4K frame of video .

strorm 4.png

We dont always get the shot, but every storm offers a different opportunity to capture something of the adventure.

Below I was hoping to capture some lightning strikes over the city as a back drop , but the lightning never came, just a burst of rain with some light gusts of wind , nothing the Phantom 4 cannot handle easily.

Video starts out slow showing the storm clouds and what they may or may not bring with them.

Approved Vendor: Phantomrain.org

F1 tornado took out the Bridge in PA and now it back up with a new glass skywalk,
to gain some traction they are allowing with approval from the park drone flights that will help inspire visitors.

We are on the list with a 3 month wait.
Only those that can feature the video will be approved is what we were told.
The goal : Capture the epic beauty of some storm clouds.

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 3.40.13 PM.png

Update Status: 8/26/2018

Denied flight as the Park Authority was not on sight.. took some great pictures turns out you need more than a written permission you need a baby sitter. .lol

The original glass used was clear on the skywalk but , visitor were afraid and so they changed it to a frosted glass, ugly. You can only see thru it if you put your face to the floor and press .

Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 12.41.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 12.47.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 12.59.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 12.48.44 PM.png

We had the flight path for the drone all planned out, but could not fly.

Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 12.52.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 12.54.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 12.55.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 12.56.54 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 12.43.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 12.43.27 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 316
Last edited:
i like that storage container you've got strapped to the wide glide? can you tell us who makes it or where you bought it? looks to be a better option than strapping my hard case to bike or wearing my backpack.

i like that storage container you've got strapped to the wide glide? can you tell us who makes it or where you bought it? looks to be a better option than strapping my hard case to bike or wearing my backpack.

Bikersfriend.com.

We have close to 4000 thousand miles this year on the bike alone not to mention the miles in the car with it sitting in the trunk with the net. We found the case to problematic for the drone in many ways.

One of the problems was that the horizon would tilt on the camera, that is what led to trying other things .

We also got rid of the Gimbal Guard, that to caused some problems with the Horizon tilt.

If you have the case strapped on the bike, than you would know if the horizon shifts on you.
Its an easy test to determine which is best for the drone.

Last edited:
MOBLUE...........your question is looking like a new thread.....you missed the right one...Oh that drone in the round storage case hangn OFF the sissy bar on the Harley after a few bumps in the road with be all broke UP.......it would dangle on ever bump and road patch....NOT a Smart IDEA......your user back pack.

thanks for the responses. looked like possibly a good idea, but mc man makes a good point. besides, they're a little pricey. i'll stick with my other cases.
sorry to have taken the thread off topic, but there is waay too many topics on this forum already that actually relate to each other.
my question should have just been a private message.

Bikersfriend.com.

We have close to 4000 thousand miles this year on the bike alone not to mention the miles in the car with it sitting in the trunk with the net. We found the case to problematic for the drone in many ways.

One of the problems was that the horizon would tilt on the camera, that is what led to trying other things .

We also got rid of the Gimbal Guard, that to caused some problems with the Horizon tilt.

If you have the case strapped on the bike, than you would know if the horizon shifts on you.
Its an easy test to determine which is best for the drone.
It is comforting to know that you know more than the DJI design engineers.

Its not that we know more than anyone else, its that we have much more trust in the DJI engineers and product they developed.

Example : the vibrations of the motorcycle or the trunk, is nothing compared to the stress of high winds and a gimbal flip .
Gimbal flipping is stress on the camera, but vibrations and pot holes from the motorcycle has never been an issue.

Its been almost year and half now that we have put the Phantom Drone and the controller thru a war zone , Storms, Pouring rain, Lightning, Snow, Hail, blizzards, and continue to drive it thru the pot holes on the motorcycle and the car and the video remains flawless.

As you know Everything has been well documented with videos and forum chats , and it shows how much trust we had in the engineers and the Phantom 4 series drones.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart