How to Install FPV

Reaction score
OI Photography said:
What version of the Phantom do you have?

What's the video source (what camera)?

Do you have an iOSD? Zenmuse?

I have the Phantom 1
GoPro Black Hero 3+
Zenmuse H3-2D
No iOSD, but could I hook that up to my rig?

Thank you!

Sure, the iOSD mini just inserts in-line in your video feed between camera and transmitter. You'll also need a canbus hub, which you'll already have if you have a PMU.

Both of the cables that came with the setup in your pic have a plug that connects to an obvious port on the transmitter. One of those cables has a red JST plug...that gets connected to the spare power lead coming out of the Phantom (you'll need to splice the cables or add a connector to the Phantom's lead). The other cable in your pack has 6 leads on the other end, and you'll only need two of them, whichever two the manual says are for video lead and ground...probably the green and black leads that are in a little black plug unlike the 4 other bare leads. The video and ground lead will need to connect to the corresponding leads from the Zenmuse, but I don't have one and honestly can't remember offhand where/how to tap the video lead from it.

OI Photography said:
Sure, the iOSD mini just inserts in-line in your video feed between camera and transmitter. You'll also need a canbus hub, which you'll already have if you have a PMU.

Both of the cables that came with the setup in your pic have a plug that connects to an obvious port on the transmitter. One of those cables has a red JST plug...that gets connected to the spare power lead coming out of the Phantom (you'll need to splice the cables or add a connector to the Phantom's lead). The other cable in your pack has 6 leads on the other end, and you'll only need two of them, whichever two the manual says are for video lead and ground...probably the green and black leads that are in a little black plug unlike the 4 other bare leads. The video and ground lead will need to connect to the corresponding leads from the Zenmuse, but I don't have one and honestly can't remember offhand where/how to tap the video lead from it.

I hate to ask probably simple questions, but the transmitter is the Naza piece in the Phantom that everything is plugged into, right?
What does the spare power lead look like? Will I remove the reg plug and solder those red and black cables to the cables that I soldered the PMU power cables to?
Unfortunately these parts did not come with a manual. Any idea how to go about finding one? The only paper work was for setting the channels on the transmitter.
What is meant by "corresponding leads from the Zenmuse"?
What do I do with the bare leads?
Thank you for your help it is more than appreciated!

Yes, wiring the black/red power leads for the transmitter (the two on their own cable) straight to the power connection point on the phantom's board where you soldered the PMU would be the cleanest solution for that.

The "transmitter" I'm referring to is the small module in your picture with the little yellow "32CH" sticker on it.

If the diagram on the front of the manual in that picture is correct, then the two leads you need there are the yellow one and either of the black ones. The rest can be taped off or removed. However, I'm not 100% sure that's correct for that transmitter so you should confirm that before connecting everything.

The top right of this diagram shows you where you need to get the video feed from your upgrade board, right next to where the zenmuse connects to it: http://www.sarawuth.com/2014/01/dji-pha ... ack6/#main

You should have a spare cable DJI provided that will connect to that port. The "ground" (brown) and "signal" (yellow) leads from that need to be connected to the ground (black) and video input (yellow) leads on your cable, respectively.

OI Photography said:
Yes, wiring the black/red power leads for the transmitter (the two on their own cable) straight to the power connection point on the phantom's board where you soldered the PMU would be the cleanest solution for that.

The "transmitter" I'm referring to is the small module in your picture with the little yellow "32CH" sticker on it.

If the diagram on the front of the manual in that picture is correct, then the two leads you need there are the yellow one and either of the black ones. The rest can be taped off or removed. However, I'm not 100% sure that's correct for that transmitter so you should confirm that before connecting everything.

The top right of this diagram shows you where you need to get the video feed from your upgrade board, right next to where the zenmuse connects to it: http://www.sarawuth.com/2014/01/dji-pha ... ack6/#main

You should have a spare cable DJI provided that will connect to that port. The "ground" (brown) and "signal" (yellow) leads from that need to be connected to the ground (black) and video input (yellow) leads on your cable, respectively.

I totally misread the part about the transmitter. I understand what you mean now with that. :)
Upgrade board... Is that board in all Phantoms or is that an upgraded board that I'd need I get? Because my 8-pin connects into one of the Naza black pieces (not sure if it's the PMU or the other) and then down and into the gimbal.
As for the red and black power leads, can I solder them right on top of the other soldering points? Or would new points of contact need to be made?
The 4-pin with the black and green leads, does that stay as is of would/could the yellow replace the green into the 4-pin? That way the 6-pin would be yellow and black to the 4-pin? Does that even make sense?
Have I said thank you yet? Because THANK YOU!

I have another kit Phantom that came with these kind of upgrades and am attempting to modify another I have in an attempt to learn as well as have two solid rigs. The one that came with the mods had the 6-pin with just the black and yellow, but I couldn't follow the other end of the cable because it looks very different inside than the one I'm trying to put together.

It's my pleasure! Can you post a pic of the inside of your phantom? That'll help with determining exactly what you're working with. I may not be able to check it out till tomorrow sometime though.

Yeah I think I have it figured out.

As far as the power lead, you can solder them straight to the board where the battery lead connects (or run an extension from there).

Photo 11 in your set shows the GCU (gimbal control unit). With that you should have a cable with what looks like a headphone plug on the end...that plug goes in to the port on the GCU, and the other end is what needs to connect (solder) to the yellow and black leads on your transmitter's cable. I don't have the Zenmuse or that cable that plugs in to the GCU so I don't know the color coding for the leads that come out of it, but what you need to find is the ground (for black) and the vid lead (for yellow).

OI Photography said:
Yeah I think I have it figured out.

As far as the power lead, you can solder them straight to the board where the battery lead connects (or run an extension from there).

Photo 11 in your set shows the GCU (gimbal control unit). With that you should have a cable with what looks like a headphone plug on the end...that plug goes in to the port on the GCU, and the other end is what needs to connect (solder) to the yellow and black leads on your transmitter's cable. I don't have the Zenmuse or that cable that plugs in to the GCU so I don't know the color coding for the leads that come out of it, but what you need to find is the ground (for black) and the vid lead (for yellow).

Holy cow, thank you so much!
The headphone cable has black, red, and yellow. Solder each of those to their respective wires for the transmitter? I also have another black lead and a green lead that go into a 3 pin (I don't know what else to call it). Does that get plugged into the Naza somehow or is that piece not going to be needed? Also, there's a white cable coming out of the transmitter plug, would that be a ground wire?

No problem! That's what the forums are here for...crowdsourced help ;)

Hook up only the black and yellow leads coming out of the headphone cable to the same colored leads on your transmitter's cable. Do NOT connect the red cable from your transmitter, that's a power output on the transmitter and from the GCU as well, so joining the red leads could damage either or both components when powered up.

All the rest of the leads on your transmitter cable (besides the yellow and black) can be removed or taped off. I'd suggest just pushing down the little pins in the plug where those leads are connected and remove them completely.

Red = power output from Tx (for FPV cameras that need a power supply)
White = audio input (for those cameras that output audio)
Green = "NC"
Black = just another ground lead

The only connections you should end up with to your video transmitter are the 2 leads for power (+/-, black/red, first cable), and the 2 for video (yellow/black, second cable).

OI Photography said:
No problem! That's what the forums are here for...crowdsourced help ;)

Hook up only the black and yellow leads coming out of the headphone cable to the same colored leads on your transmitter's cable. Do NOT connect the red cable from your transmitter, that's a power output on the transmitter and from the GCU as well, so joining the red leads could damage either or both components when powered up.

All the rest of the leads on your transmitter cable (besides the yellow and black) can be removed or taped off. I'd suggest just pushing down the little pins in the plug where those leads are connected and remove them completely.

Red = power output from Tx (for FPV cameras that need a power supply)
White = audio input (for those cameras that output audio)
Green = "NC"
Black = just another ground lead

The only connections you should end up with to your video transmitter are the 2 leads for power (+/-, black/red, first cable), and the 2 for video (yellow/black, second cable).

Thank you so much! I am so stoked about your help! Should I wrap the wires in electrical tape after they're soldered? Does it matter?
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, if you don't have heat shrink insulation to put on it then electrical tape is probably the best option (in tape or liquid form).

If you want to post a pic of the wiring connections after you're finished I can see if they look all look right, but if you're comfortable that everything is good then go ahead and fire it up! Just be sure the power (red) lead coming out of the transmitter (on the plug with 4 other wires) isn't connected to anything...the only red lead connected should be the one in the separate 2-wire plug for power.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl