How to get 12MP photos wth P3 professional

Reaction score
This may seem bazaar, but I am unable to shoot 12 MP stills, I only get 3-4 MP stills. Am I missing something here?? What settings do I need, since I want high MP photos for large enlargements.

RAW + JPG

EDIT: Sorry, spouted off before understanding his question. Are you talking about MP or MB?

SD

Last edited:
This may seem bazaar, but I am unable to shoot 12 MP stills, I only get 3-4 MP stills. Am I missing something here?? What settings do I need, since I want high MP photos for large enlargements.
The P3 will shoot 12MP stills if you have the resolution set to 4000 x 3000 pixels.
4000 x 3000 = 12000000 = 12 MP
But if you look at the file size of the jpg files you'll notice they are usually 4-5 MP because jpg is a compressed format.
In the formula jpg uses, there are shortcuts so that every pixel does not have to be recorded individually, hence the smaller file size.

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
You are shooting 12MP stills....the 3-4 figure you're referring to is MB (Megabytes), which is the size of the jpeg file created.

Edit. beaten to it while I was typing!

Also, don't get mega pixels and mega bytes mixed up. The pixels is the camera resolution and the megabytes is the file size on your computer. I normal jpg will be around 5mb and a RAW file will be around 23mb, all at 12mp.

Shoot in RAW (DNG) format and use Adobe Bridge (or Lightroom) (Camera Raw) and Photoshop for the best results. There's less loss of detail in the dark or highlighted areas. Or, JPEG is OK if your main goal is to merely resize and post your photos.

Reactions: m0j0

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl