How to check your Phantom 3 for stress cracks *VIDEO*

I can't understand why we can't get a replacement for a clear manufacturing defect. I wonder how many of these crack right on the assembly line when the motors are installed
Because they probably figure they'll need to replace less of them if they make you send the $1K product to China for 2-3 months. I'm afraid I'll never see it again. Makes me a little nervous. I guess if you want to fly the best value for the money, you have to live with this ********. But I can live with zip ties as long as it still flies ok. Now if it stops flying for some reason within warranty period, then obviously I'd have no choice but to send it in.

I left them all in place. Just added the zip-ties.

Interesting - I'm having a hard time understanding how the zip ties help then? I don't doubt your claims, I just can't see the physics of it

Interesting - I'm having a hard time understanding how the zip ties help then? I don't doubt your claims, I just can't see the physics of it

It keeps both shells together as one piece. Makes it a lot more rigid. When the screws start cracking the shells arent tight together and become two pieces, thus a lot weaker.

Reactions: Trumple
It keeps both shells together as one piece. Makes it a lot more rigid. When the screws start cracking the shells arent tight together and become two pieces, thus a lot weaker.

Ah, I see. Thanks

Strange...maybe not all P3s are created equal?
Also how did you convince them to send you a whole new unit?

I got a replacement for my cracked unit. I have not flown this one yet. I did following shown in the photos along with backing out and re-tightening the screws where the cracks occur to try to prevent this from happening. I tightened the screws just a little bit less than factory. They were definitely in there tight.

2_zpsoneyb52j.jpg

1_zpsoyws8ogu.jpg

Got my new unit today. Guess what...

Good Lord. I bet this just makes you want a refund. Hopefully, they will send you out a third. You would think that they would inspect a replacement unit. Proof right there that these are being shipped this way. I bet that crack spreads on the second unit. Mine sure did.

I have a feeling that what you're looking at on the new bird is just an imperfection that was left from the mold, it has yet to turn into a crack. Having said that, it will probably end up being where the crack appears. I have the same exact mark on mine, in the same location, and it has not developed into a crack after about 20 flights... I also glued the seams on this unit immediately after taking it out of the box.

I got a replacement for my cracked unit. I have not flown this one yet. I did following shown in the photos along with backing out and re-tightening the screws where the cracks occur to try to prevent this from happening. I tightened the screws just a little bit less than factory. They were definitely in there tight.

2_zpsoneyb52j.jpg

1_zpsoyws8ogu.jpg
How are you guys getting replacement units? I called them and have even worse issues because my gimbal doesn't work and I have to send it in before they send me a replacement. I was extremely polite to the rep when I talked to her yesterday but could not talk her into it. Any tips?

How are you guys getting replacement units? I called them and have even worse issues because my gimbal doesn't work and I have to send it in before they send me a replacement. I was extremely polite to the rep when I talked to her yesterday but could not talk her into it. Any tips?
I'm gathering that they have to be not flown. If you fly them, you are married to them.

Sorry - that was misleading. I BOUGHT a replacement after returning my cracked unit to the company I bought it from (HeliDirect). I had to fight with them about it too. They thought I was crazy for wanting to return it because of the cracks near the screws.

Sorry - that was misleading. I BOUGHT a replacement after returning my cracked unit to the company I bought it from (HeliDirect). I had to fight with them about it too. They thought I was crazy for wanting to return it because of the cracks near the screws.
Thanks. How many weeks in were you into use in your original unit? Mine was purchased May 22nd and the dealer, Allerc.com refused to take it back. I'm tempted to use Amex Purchase Protection at this point because it's unacceptable that something that is 6 weeks old needs to go in for service for 8 weeks. First world problems, I know......

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT