Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

How long can I store a charged battery?

Discussion in 'Phantom FC40 Discussion' started by hakasan, Nov 30, 2014.

1. hakasan

Hi guys. Just recieved my phantom fc 40. had my maiden flight. what an awsome machine. it flies gracefully. Loving it.
    A couple of questions I have on correct battery usage Are
    [I'm probably only going to be flying it on the weekends.}
    So:
    1)With what charge should I store the batteries (the original 2200 DJI lipo) if left unused for periods up to 7 days?
    2)Should I leave them as I did when I used them in the phantom (up to the red light warning) charge
    3) Will I damage the battery if left fully charged? I have 3 fully charged batteries and won't be able to use them for 7 days
    4) how do I discharge the Lipo (without flying)

thank you for your help. a couple of photos of my first flight

Attached Files:

2. wattage

Hi. Tolerances can be quite tight for storage voltage. If you're frequently having to leave batteries unused for a week at a time, it's definitely not recommended to leave them fully charged for that time or their life span will decrease.

The chances are you're going to build up a collection of batteries over time so you should get a better charger than the one included with the FC-40. If you get something like an Imax B6AC, you can set it to charge/discharge to a safe storage voltage, which is typically 3.75v per cell of your 3 cell battery.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ac_charger_discharger_1_6_cells_genuine_.html

3. hakasan

thank you!!! any chance I can discharge them without flying?
    Thanks!!!

4. LandYachtMedia

I have a Venom battery charger that I use with my other LiPOs. It has a "storage" program that will either charge or discharge the battery to a safe level. You just connect it and hit start.

5. hakasan

Thanks!! I guess I´ll have to buy one as well.
    do you think that storing them for a week with the battery charge left from a flight (not o but the red light warnign) is ok?

Thanks!!

6. LandYachtMedia

Storing them with a lower charge is safer than with a high charge state. The problem with a low charge is that if the battery cell voltage drops too low it quickly damages the battery. If you have a couple of lights showing on the battery when you land you won't be at risk of damage.

7. wattage

FC-40 doesn't use the Phantom 2 smart battery.

8. LandYachtMedia

Quite right. If you haven't reached the low battery warning you will be fine storing it for a short time.

9. Vintage Mark

Until you get a charger that will charge/discharge to storage state it is easy to fully charge, then hover for 3 or 4 minutes. With stock battery, that will be close enough to not be at risk from too high, or too low charge state for storage.

10. 2014fc40

OK for all of us that don't fly all the time, lets say we store fully charged batteries for 2 months. Whats the educated info on this? I will pull them and charge them before I fly next time. Would that be bad>?

That's my MO. Seems ok for now.

11. wattage

Read this article. An entertaining and exhaustive explanation of lipos.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

12. Beario

Good read this has changed things a bit for me with LIPO's lots of really good into thank you for posting!