How likely it is for P4P to crash? Should I get DJI care or not?

I bought DJI Care and I'm glad I did. I was flying mine in the woods behind our home and a tree branch fell out of a tree, triggered the sensor, the drone went backwards, hit a tree, then crashed and the motor wouldn't stop. It dragged itself across the ground. The legs were cracked, the gimbal was messed up, and the optical sensors no longer worked. I sent it back via DJI Care and they sent me a replacement.

On something this expensive and with the random chance of accidents, I think it is worth it and I say that as someone who never buys the care plans.
I am a newbie here but really close to pulling the trigger on this. Bestbuy doesn't allow warranty on this product. So just trying to decide where to buy from. Who offered the DJI care?

I am a newbie here but really close to pulling the trigger on this. Bestbuy doesn't allow warranty on this product. So just trying to decide where to buy from. Who offered the DJI care?

Do you have Staples? I think their affiliate is Office Depot? They have their own plan and it's great... $150 and covers EVERYTHING. As long as you can find enough to bring back.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I checked staples. For drones 1500-1999 you can get one year easy care repair plan for 699 bucks. The P4P is over that amount so no plan offered. Best buy also has a return policy that states only in unopened box within 30 days.

Hi there,
I just bought my first Phantom 4 pro and I am super excited...Finally was able to take off and land safely (total newbie;))
Before I get out there and explore, I wanna know how likely it is that a P4P might crash...Should I get the DJI care or not?
I live in Los Angeles, CA...If Anyone lives in the area, I would love to go for a flight together to learn a few things.
Thank you for all your suggestions and feedback!
Get the insurance, I'm glad I did I had my second accident yesterday while doing some practice flying in a huge soccer field ( operator error) within an hour of the accident it was at the UPS Store .
I laughed as soon as it happened because I went to the same field for my first drone flight about six months although my flying improved a lot since then ( things happen when you least expect it ).

You see this bit of wisdom frequently but it's not true. Real (non-UAV) pilots don't believe it, nor do most passengers, or no one with any sense would ever fly. Besides, not every crash will be benefited by DJI care anyway. As above, it's not cost effective for minor incidents, major incidents where you lose the aircraft aren't covered, and it's only good for one year. There is essentially a window of usability, and to suggest that everyone will experience a crash that falls within this window is just wrong.

Smiller, I think your explanation is probably the best and simplest for the question of purchasing or not purchasing insurance for a DJI Phantom.Say, for a commercial drone it would probably make a lot more sense.

So far I have 70 hours flight time between a P4P, P4, Mavic , P3A with only one crash. I was hovering my P4 in my living room when I first got it and crashed into the wall heater haha. Stupid mistake. Only damage was 2 broken props and it now has 40 hours of flight time on it working perfectly. Even though, I have DJI care on all my drones. I believe its the smart thing to do.

I think knowing yourself is the most important question. Are you the type of person that learns the machine inside out before taking the next step? If you are a risk taker, and don't like reading/heeding directions and practicing skills, you definitely will crash and need insurance. I learn all I can and take measured risks as my skill improves. That being said, I still bought the insurance and will probably not renew after the first year (if that's an option). I also know myself enough to know that after the first year, I will probably be flying less often. Your situation will vary of course. I have yet to crash after several months of use. I am not willing to say I won't crash though, careful that I am, as I do make mistakes, especially as my confidence rises.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl