How High Can The P3S Go With Litchi App?

Reaction score
So I bought the Litchi app because im able to get great video at distances that the P3S cant reach. Ive only eve been able to get my P3S to about 400ft. I want to get a little bit higher so I can get some nice footage. I thought if I were to set a waypoint for about 600ft, would that be safe? I know about it hitting a aircraft and such, but without that, would it be safe? For example, if the wind was about 9mph on the ground, would that be to much for the P3 at 600ft? Thanks.

400ft is by law. Unless otherwise specified or you have the permission.

I personally thing 400ft is high enough for 99% of peeps.

Reactions: Partx
400ft is by law. Unless otherwise specified or you have the permission.

I personally thing 400ft is high enough for 99% of peeps.
I have been given permission to fly below 650ft if im 2.3 Miles away from my little town and I see no flying objects other than my own.

I have been given permission to fly below 650ft if im 2.3 Miles away from my little town and I see no flying objects other than my own.

Sweet, who actually gives permission, and what town you at?

I think there is a option in the dji go app to turn OFF maximum altitude, don't know about litchi but sure there will be, anyways maximum height I believe is 1640 feet ish, but don't quote me on that.

Sweet, who actually gives permission, and what town you at?

I think there is a option in the dji go app to turn OFF maximum altitude, don't know about litchi but sure there will be, anyways maximum height I believe is 1640 feet ish, but don't quote me on that.
I talked to the head of my town district and they said they were fine as long as I followed all of the other stuff as in line of site and airports

yeah sorry to burst your bubble dude, but you need permission from whoever controls the airspace.

Reactions: Matts175
But Mayor Quimby said......

Mayor_Quimby.png

I see what you are saying but you are mistaken. When I said I got permission I got permission by my state government. I live in Illinois, I couldn't find there commercial flight limits and laws on unmanned aircraft. So I went to my representative in Springfield just so I could make sure. They got me the information I needed. They said there legal flight limit is line of sight and 500ft high. I asked about the FFA height and they said the FFA is for if there are no laws in a location for unmanned aircraft. If a state was not to make laws for drones, you follow FFA laws. Thin I got permission from state of Illinois to fly 650 or below 2.3 miles away for urban area. I had to get permission by my local government last.

I see what you are saying but you are mistaken. When I said I got permission I got permission by my state government. I live in Illinois, I couldn't find there commercial flight limits and laws on unmanned aircraft. So I went to my representative in Springfield just so I could make sure. They got me the information I needed. They said there legal flight limit is line of sight and 500ft high. I asked about the FFA height and they said the FFA is for if there are no laws in a location for unmanned aircraft. If a state was not to make laws for drones, you follow FFA laws. Thin I got permission from state of Illinois to fly 650 or below 2.3 miles away for urban area. I had to get permission by my local government last.
FAA sorry, phone kept correcting it

No one but the FAA controls the airspace, regardless of what city/county/state would say. Now, depending on said airspace, you may need to contact your local airport to notify them when and where you are flying. Flying 2.5 miles from an airport, and not contacting them seems like a bad idea, especially @ 650'.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
ok i only skimmed this article but a paragraph says

"The technology itself will make enforcing the new rules difficult. Drone pilots are often hundreds of feet away from where the craft, which move through the remote manipulation of multiple rotors, hover high above the ground. The ordinance sets a ceiling of 400 feet in Chicago skies, but drones can go much higher than that."

Full article here

and another

"The proposed rules also say you can't fly drones above 400 feet, to which Hinkle wonders: "If you fly 401 feet, will you get fined and arrested?""

here

and another, again only skim reading - but only trying to keep you out of trouble and possibly wrecking your drone or hurting something

"Under the terms of the ordinance, a drone cannot fly higher than 400 feet, beyond the operator’s line of sight, or between the hours of 8 p.m. and 8 a.m. The rules prohibit drones from flying"

here

I couldn't find there commercial flight limits and laws on unmanned aircraft. t.

Are you saying this is for commercial use and not hobbyist?

Which would also mean you have passed the right exams?

anyway HERE
Which States Have Drone Laws?

Arkansas, California, Florida, Hawaii,
Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia and West Virginia have passed drone laws; the AUVSI Advocacy group offers an interactive map of state drone laws, detailing each state’s regulatory environment.

FAA sorry, phone kept correcting it
Your state law specifically states that it will not conflict with Federal Law. Therefore, they cannot grant you permission to fly over 400 feet. Your local FAA office has more power than your state governor. Remember, marajuana is legal in most states and you can go to a federal penitentiary for possessing it!

The Emerging Use Of Drones In Illinois - Law360

Last edited:
We used to fly electric motored gliders to dizzying heights. 1000ft plus was not uncommon. Most of the time it was hard not to as the thermals often dictated where we flew in summer. And that was within 5k of a military air strip. That was 25 years ago. We never gave it much thought back then.

I shudder to think looking back.

Reactions: Andy Ritchie
We used to fly electric motored gliders to dizzying heights. 1000ft plus was not uncommon. Most of the time it was hard not to as the thermals often dictated where we flew in summer. And that was within 5k of a military air strip. That was 25 years ago. We never gave it much thought back then.

I shudder to think looking back.
I was thinking about 10 years ago flying 10ft Delta kites at 1200ft within a few miles of the two airports. It wasn't odd to have the police pull up and check the kites out and even take the reel to see what a kite felt like at that altitude. We never thought about a plane sucking one of these kites into an engine or it striking a windscreen. At least with a drone, we have half a chance of bringing it down very quickly compared to a kite in strong winds. It took us 20-30 minutes sometimes to bring them down.

Reactions: Andy Ritchie
I was thinking about 10 years ago flying 10ft Delta kites at 1200ft within a few miles of the two airports. It wasn't odd to have the police pull up and check the kites out and even take the reel to see what a kite felt like at that altitude. We never thought about a plane sucking one of these kites into an engine or it striking a windscreen. At least with a drone, we have half a chance of bringing it down very quickly compared to a kite in strong winds. It took us 20-30 minutes sometimes to bring them down.

Even today, you hear glider flyers in their jingo talking about 'specking it out'.

Gliders are meant to fly high. They are fast, can be quite large & relatively hefty. No one seems too fussed.

There seems to be a disliking of 'drones' among the public.

A glider (sailplane) is ok though as it looks like a proper airplane.?

The 'nanny state' mentality has bit hard too in the past 10+ years. You can't f**t these days without getting a lecture or locked up.

Reactions: Dazzauk and Unit505

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl