How far are you flying with newer firmware and less than 32 channels?

Reaction score
I've been hearing of people with limited range since firmware updates reduced the channels from 32 to something smaller. How is everyone getting with newer firmware (non-32 channel)?

Although not the newest firmware still had just channels 13-20 when I did it

P3 record.JPG

That's good to hear!

What kind of LOS did you have...trees? I am interested in sending mine across a similar pond, I'll have almost uninterrupted LOS.

using any antenna enhancements?

Thx, looks like a nice ride across there.

Tricky were you by chance a Satcom guy in Colorado? Guess not you're too young.

What kind of LOS did you have...trees? I am interested in sending mine across a similar pond, I'll have almost uninterrupted LOS.

using any antenna enhancements?

Thx, looks like a nice ride across there.
fully stock Out bound open standing on dock at lake edge, but as seen in flight shot stayed fairly low for the distance.
There was a lot of trees and homes on far side I crossed then into open farm land could have gone further as had full signal just got freaked out by low battery warning so came blasting home. Only to have like 25% on battery alarm I'm sure it had another mile in her
But let me tell you I had that feeling like I just missed a car crash as it came home not knowing if it would make it back over lake
:):)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tricky
I've been hearing of people with limited range since firmware updates reduced the channels from 32 to something smaller. How is everyone getting with newer firmware (non-32 channel)?

I did a mile flying in a queens nyc park holding full signal the whole way and flying roughly 300 feet up. I used the windsurfer add on. There were a fair amount of RF next to me at the time including someone flying a phantom 2 with their 2.4ghz controller near me. So not too shabby even with the reduced channels. The windsurfer helps a lot.

I did a mile flying in a queens nyc park holding full signal the whole way and flying roughly 300 feet up. I used the windsurfer add on. There were a fair amount of RF next to me at the time including someone flying a phantom 2 with their 2.4ghz controller near me. So not too shabby even with the reduced channels. The windsurfer helps a lot.
I get about the same give or take a mile in city flying a lot of wifi and cell tower near

p3 intown.PNG

I'm not convinced the reduced channels makes any difference as long as at least once channel is free of interference. I was consistently losing signal around 2000 feet until I learned that to get the serious distances you need a few things.

First, nothing beats line of sight. Put a tree or a building or even a person between you and the bird and forget about it. That means the further out you go, the higher. 400 feet is best for distance records in my experience.

Second, get away from interference. My distance is easily cut in half or more when I fly in an urban area with everybodies wifi blasting.

Third, orient the antenna properly, or even better make yourself a parabolic DIY range extender. This almost doubles my range.

Here is my record distance flight. 5km

Over water is where signals exceed expectations.... they can go quite far... the water is like cladding on the outside of fiber optics.

I'm not convinced the reduced channels makes any difference as long as at least once channel is free of interference. I was consistently losing signal around 2000 feet until I learned that to get the serious distances you need a few things.

First, nothing beats line of sight. Put a tree or a building or even a person between you and the bird and forget about it. That means the further out you go, the higher. 400 feet is best for distance records in my experience.

Second, get away from interference. My distance is easily cut in half or more when I fly in an urban area with everybodies wifi blasting.

Third, orient the antenna properly, or even better make yourself a parabolic DIY range extender. This almost doubles my range.

The number of channels increase only the probability of a free frequency, avoiding interference. Range is not related to number of channels. If you are in open field 8ch are more than enough. In a city context that may be different. Keep in mind that the video lag is directly proportional to number of ch used! Frequency hopping does increase video lagging!
For what I've seen the p3 tx isn't capable right now to hop more than 8ch, but RC Can do that.

Newbie here what's the windsurfer?
Cheers

Chris, what app or program is that with the dashboard and gauges?

Re: Windsurfer. Just opened that PDF and it's a template, but no other instructions at all. What materials, size, how to attach, etc. unless I'm missing something...

Works great and I have more range than I know what to do with! Grab it before they do another firmware update closing the loop hole

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT