How do you land this thing??

Reaction score
After several flights I can now land the Phantom instead of just crashing. Progress!

On the other hand... the pasture where I'm now practicing has knee-high grass that is soon going to be waist deep. I read somewhere that it is better to shut the motors off before touching down in tall grass. I'm sure this would be helpful, as the props can quickly jam with grass if they are still spinning.

My question is: how high above the ground or grass should the Phantom be when I cut the throttle? I tried this today at about 8 feet above the grass but the props still spun into the grass.

GearLoose said:
After several flights I can now land the Phantom instead of just crashing. Progress!

On the other hand... the pasture where I'm now practicing has knee-high grass that is soon going to be waist deep. I read somewhere that it is better to shut the motors off before touching down in tall grass. I'm sure this would be helpful, as the props can quickly jam with grass if they are still spinning.

My question is: how high above the ground or grass should the Phantom be when I cut the throttle? I tried this today at about 8 feet above the grass but the props still spun into the grass.

I've never landed mine like that, shutting the motors down at a certain height, and I can touch down feather light.

However, I have ran into tall grass. When I did it the Phantom acted like a weed whip. There was cut grass all over it. Obviously not recommended but I can't believe how tough this thing is. Only once did I get grass wrapped around the shaft. Today I accidentally landed on top of a high voltage line, no radio breakup, then when I freaked out, I flew over and barely ran into an evergreen tree. Same thing, needles flying everywhere. No crash.

Some flyers have mastered the art of catching-by-hand and then cutting the motors. and swear by it.
helps if you have a neckstrap, but it definitely works when landing is sketchy.

I just properly land mine then cut the throttle. Touches down nicely without any problems. Only cut the throttle when fully down and landed. Landing should not be a problem, it's as easy as taking off.

Gizmo3000 said:
Some flyers have mastered the art of catching-by-hand and then cutting the motors. and swear by it.

While some flyers do this, be very careful, you can get seriously injured doing this.

denodan said:
Gizmo3000 said:

While some flyers do this, be very careful, you can get seriously injured doing this.

Indeed! it def takes a bit of timing.
use extreme caution if you have CF props!

Flew my phantom for the first time yesterday. After a couple flights, I was catching it to land. It is actually very easy with GPS mode. Though i'll admit a little scary my hand would slip and hit a propeller. that would hurt =)

socman said:
Flew my phantom for the first time yesterday. After a couple flights, I was catching it to land. It is actually very easy with GPS mode. Though i'll admit a little scary my hand would slip and hit a propeller. that would hurt =)

It would more then hurt, but cut you badly.

4 steps to safe catch on landing:
1) Tie your TX with a cord around your neck (hands free ! this is the most important clue to get it)
2) Move your back against wind direction, descend phantom and hover in front up you, pointing nose also in same direction that wind (Suggested: ATTI mode)
3) Hold TX and throotle stick with your left hand (let TX rest / hang by the cord around your neck)
4) Catch Phantom from right leg while moving throotle stick full down. (here you'll see the importance of hang TX on your neck!).

NOTE: after catch just stay, no move wait at least 5 seconds and don't touch throotle to avoid restart.;)

I always perform a safe catch on landing. (more than 80 times, so i can say It works for me !)

Here a guy shows perfect catch performance:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_cDUxKEMeM[/youtube]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing