How do we deal with Cold?

Nothing, downloaded all 5 options and followed to second and third page and not installed. Switched phone on and off. Nothing.

U.K. Side pushing the Phantom 4. Peace

Well that's all I have... I don't use Apple. It might be blocked by their system. Love android.

A home-made option that has worked for me is taking one of those gel heat-packs, wrapping it around the batteries (with a small cloth in between, so that they don't get too much direct heat), and sticking them in a fanny pack.

I then activate the heat pack before leaving the house, and by the time I set up and power up the Phantom in the field, the batteries are at a cozy 32C (per the DJI GO app telemetry). I've done this flying as cold as 9F outside, and so far had no issues, with the batteries giving out almost as much flight time as in warmer temps.

Now the finger frostbite issue is another story... God it hurts!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Last edited:
The subject this thread is covering has to do with flying in cold weather. What is it about cold weather flying the is related to apps that record the screen view?
As the starter of this thread, I wonder the same thing.

Person asking about the screen view recording: START YOUR OWN THREAD. Hijacking other threads is rude.

Thanks Skyer!

Now the finger frostbite issue is another story... God it hurts!

Yeah, I carry around 3 different grades of gloves, from those with dexterity but the least protective, to the ones I want to soon switch to that warm up the hands but have no stick moving or screen touching abilities at all.

Chris

I know there's a battery warmer you can buy, but it takes juice from the battery, so you're not taking off with 100%

How do other deal with really cold temps?

The last few days have been clear, but too cold to take off without the 'cold battery' warning from the DJI Go app. It takes off, but if you push it while monitoring the batteries in the app, you can see cells drop into the red zone.

I thought about carrying a few inside my jacket next to my body, but bailed on the flight due to freezing fingertips (I had gloves, but they were thin). Is that the ticket?

If you pre-warm them, can they still drop into the Danger Zone* after take off?

Thanks,
Chris

View attachment 71115
Here's a good tip: Buy some of those chemical hand warmers, open one or two and wrap the battery with them in a towel for several minutes before you fly. If you have additional batteries you can pre-warm them as the warmers last for hours or you can keep your hands warm with them.

I recently flew in 24f weather, 25mph gusts. Warmed batt's to 75/80f in car... flew just fine. I couldn't feel my fingers, but Phantom sang well. (I fly Litchi)

Awesome video. The music went really well with it too [emoji4] [emoji4]

Neon Euc

Here's a good tip: Buy some of those chemical hand warmers, open one or two and wrap the battery with them in a towel for several minutes before you fly. If you have additional batteries you can pre-warm them as the warmers last for hours or you can keep your hands warm with them.
Good tip (someone else mentioned them as well). I can get a box of hand warmers at Costco for relatively cheap.

How about the reusable gel packs; just microwave them before going out and keep them with batteries in a thermal bag?

Chris

Last winter I brought the P3S to Lofoten Islands in Norway and it was very cold. I used to keep warm the batteries in the car as long as possible, then at the last moment I trow them out and I kept inside my backpack covered with a warm scarf.

I never had problems fly below 0°.

here is some clips:

Last winter I brought the P3S to Lofoten Islands in Norway and it was very cold. I used to keep warm the batteries in the car as long as possible, then...

Amazing landscape! Very nice flying and editing. Subscribed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94