High-flying drone almost collides with Edmonton police helicopter - Edmonton - CBC News

Pretty some the only place we will be able to fly is farmers fields. Thanks to A$$holes like this.

I sure hope they DO find these jacka$$es!!! They are the ones that are giving our hobby the bad press and forcing all the restrictions!
They should also be made an example of. They were breaking alot of rules.
Those snot nosed punks!

I know this is off the subject, but in the article it said the pilots of the helicopter could land even if the helicopter had no power.

Maybe someone out there who has actual pilot experience can explain how that is possible ? I'm just curious, is there some kind of backup power that would keep the rotor spinning ?

I know this is off the subject, but in the article it said the pilots of the helicopter could land even if the helicopter had no power.

Maybe someone out there who has actual pilot experience can explain how that is possible ? I'm just curious, is there some kind of backup power that would keep the rotor spinning ?
It's called "autorotation". In a steep descent, the air traveling through the rotor system keeps the blades spinning. They actually glide a bit, kind of like a Frisbee, so the descent isn't that bad. Once near the ground, flaring the helicopter to slow forward and downward speed actually imparts more inertia into the system which can be used to further slow the descent and cushion the landing as the energy is exchanged.

Reactions: FT in Japan

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl