Here's Why You Shouldn't Parachute Toy Army Men From Your Drone.

some people need to lighten up?hmm..his wife told him it was a bad idea and he didnt listen..the drone crashed...its one thing to have fun and its another to use common sense..drones arent toys ..

I have dropped the hint for the dual release for Christmas. This cheap one is a blast but I also want the 500 yard range that the dual release offers. Plus the dual drop. https://www.amazon.com/PAYLOAD-RELE...58&sr=8-1&keywords=dual+release+payload+drone
Good Luck , hope it works for you.
Be sure to order the right mounting brackets for your drone too. The release does not come with them. I was very interested in this product too, but my desire to make a fishing rig for my drone won out over the cool release system.

Reactions: PJC5301
some people need to lighten up?hmm..his wife told him it was a bad idea and he didnt listen..the drone crashed...its one thing to have fun and its another to use common sense..drones arent toys ..
Drones are absolutely toys. Especially DJI drones.

Drones are not toys? Oh, I disagree with that. It all depends on how you intend on using the drone and your investment. I have crossed that bridge and back. I have a P4P, and for the quality of the cinematography it takes, although good, it is not professional. For the clips and pictures that can bring in the big bucks, count on spending over 3k and it might not even come with a camera.

Then there's the other side of that triangle. The drones that are under 1k. I recently purchased a $300 Bee for my sons first drone. It has GPS, a camera, and a 15 minute flight time. But it's range and altitude are severely limited compared to DJI products, which is perfect for my son! He cannot fly out of sight if he tried.

The P4P is a good midrange drone. Good video. Good pictures. Good distance and altitude. Flight time is too short for paid cinematography or aerial surveying, but it is fun. Many people seem to be inventing new ways to play with it too. Dropping parachute men (and women), fishing, the follow me mode is fun for anything under 30mph.

So, yes. There are drones that would be classified as "toys". There are drones that you can make you serious money from, and can cost over 11k (look for the Yuneec the next time you watch an NFL game). And there are the racing drones that can fly in excess of 100mph (something I haven't tried yet, but definitely going to).

I personally do drop Parachute men from a wire cradle on the side of the leg on the drone. Wrap the man in the parachute and then put the bundle in the cradle. Then take off and rock the drone side to side so he falls out. No risk of entanglement.

I take no responsibility for crashes or the like, harm to people or animals or property. ;)

Drones are not toys? Oh, I disagree with that. It all depends on how you intend on using the drone and your investment. I have crossed that bridge and back. I have a P4P, and for the quality of the cinematography it takes, although good, it is not professional. For the clips and pictures that can bring in the big bucks, count on spending over 3k and it might not even come with a camera.

Then there's the other side of that triangle. The drones that are under 1k. I recently purchased a $300 Bee for my sons first drone. It has GPS, a camera, and a 15 minute flight time. But it's range and altitude are severely limited compared to DJI products, which is perfect for my son! He cannot fly out of sight if he tried.

The P4P is a good midrange drone. Good video. Good pictures. Good distance and altitude. Flight time is too short for paid cinematography or aerial surveying, but it is fun. Many people seem to be inventing new ways to play with it too. Dropping parachute men (and women), fishing, the follow me mode is fun for anything under 30mph.

So, yes. There are drones that would be classified as "toys". There are drones that you can make you serious money from, and can cost over 11k (look for the Yuneec the next time you watch an NFL game). And there are the racing drones that can fly in excess of 100mph (something I haven't tried yet, but definitely going to).
Plenty of people are making money with the Mavic with the right clientele and clever marketing. Others are using the P4 and P4P. The latter produces results on a parity with an Inspire 2 with the least expensive camera option. No need to drop $3K, plus the cost of a camera and lens to produce pictures and clips "that can bring in the big bucks." The Inspire 2 offers a Wow factor, but the output, and not the tool, should be what you are selling! Aerial surveying does not require long flight times, as the needed missions can be chained in succession over multiple batteries in most apps. If additional flight time is required, battery mods are available for the P4P for $250 from FPVCustoms.com plus the cost of external batteries. Not sure why you don't consider the P4P results professional. 4K 60fps at 100mbs is sufficient for video, as are 20MB DNG's for stills. YMMV.

This had bad idea written all over it, but being the fun (and dumb) dad that I am, I had to try it.

Yup, after two successful parachutes, I got the chute caught in a blade and crashed my Phantom 3 Advanced. The good news is that the TV show, Right This Minute, is going to air some of this footage and they paid me $150, which will go toward repairs.

Enjoy!

Pop cans are more fun!

Not to be a spoil sport, but I do believe it is illegal to drop anything from a drone as per the FAA. Now I know this wasn't explosives like ISIS, but to the FAA anything being dropped is a no-no. And the risk of having a parachute foul a prop should have been immediately obvious.

Well, at least someone had fun...

Brian

Not to be a spoil sport, but I do believe it is illegal to drop anything from a drone as per the FAA. Now I know this wasn't explosives like ISIS, but to the FAA anything being dropped is a no-no. And the risk of having a parachute foul a prop should have been immediately obvious.

Well, at least someone had fun...

Brian
Kill joy! :rolleyes: It was all among consenting adults, even if the kid receiving the "cold one" wasn't old enough to shave! ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews