Headtracking set up?

Reaction score
I have seen some videos on YouTube of people using headtracking on their P2's. I realize that to do this I would need to switch to a new radio but am wondering how many channels would I need to do this? I am thinking of getting a spektrum dx8 if it will work. Also is it possible to move the h3-3d in all 3 directions with headtracking? For those of you who have done this what are some of your experiences/results with headtracking on your P2? Is it something that is actually useful or not. Just FYI my set up includes a P2 (2.4ghz), complete fpv set up with h3-3d gimbal, Dom HD goggles.

I think your mistaken in how these goggles work. In the video (Dom HD goggles) they are not flying P2's but fixed wing aircraft with an attached camera and all flight movement is controlled with an RC unit not the goggles.

By the way where abouts in MI?

I beg to differ, look at this video (https://youtu.be/oE3CVSC2jqs) it is one of many that show up when searching for "headtracking phantom 2". This is an example of what I want to accomplish. The cameras movements are controlled by the goggles headtracking option. My question is how many of the gimbals 3 axis can be controlled like this? This video shows that at least 2 is possible! I don't think the 3rd axis would really ever be needed to be used like this but I am curious if it would be controllable. I am also wondering how many channels I would need to be able to control as many of these movements as possible? I assume 7 would be the minimum just like the current radio but that should only let me control the gimbals tilt. I imagine an 8th channel would be needed to control the pan of the gimbal and possibly a 9th channel would be needed for the final axis of movement. I guess I might have just answered my own question but I would like others experience/opinions with this to be sure.

Oh and I'm from the Mt. Pleasant area.

In the video you provided it looks suspiciously like the camera starts to tilt BEFORE he moves the goggles. Hmmm...

Goggles and fpv will almost certainly not be elimated for use, visual observers will most likely be required for this. Plus these are proposed rules, not actual rules in effect as of now. I don't want to come off as a jerk but if I do oh well. If anyone has experience or input that would help answer the actual question that I started this thread about that would be great! I am not going to debate proposed rules or weather or not other people think this would be worth while! In my opinion this forum is for all of us to help others with issues/problems and to come up with new creative ways to use our phantoms. If we take what others state as fact and never question what is possible the future of our hobby will be very bleak.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl