Haven't flown since April

100% up to date on P4P (and MP) with no issues. iOS/iPad 4 Mini. (iPhone 6+ for the MP).
Indeed some of my furthest distance flights were on Friday afternoon.

Good to hear since I have the identical set-up (except iPhone 6s)

DJI issues do include (in my case) class C warnings where there is no class C airspace at all...

As long as it's just a warning that can be confirmed as invalid and not something that prevents the P4P from flying then I can live with that.

As long as it's just a warning that can be confirmed as invalid and not something that prevents the P4P from flying then I can live with that.

Yep - just check the boxes and confirm. PITA if filming a sequence at a nice fixe speed.

I think it's perfectly fine to roll back to any firmware that DJI actively supports (even if it requires a 3rd party app to do so). Why DJI doesn't allow it to be rolled back to some older versions from the DJI Assistant app is a different story. It's common practice for all of their drones.
Hmm, I kinda follow your lead with always updating to the latest FW then to see you recommend that "its easy" to roll it back even via a third party app kinda surprised me thats all.

I've read threads where some people experienced such issues, but I've had no trouble with my Phantom (so far). I've been able to fly anytime and anywhere I wanted to fly.
I wasn't allowed to take off this morning at two different locations I always fly at so I came home and tried to unlock the NFZ but was told that area didn't need to be unlocked but I think just by logging into my acct it unlocked something in my aircraft because I returned to the same park twenty minutes later and was able to take-off..

I just completed a 20 minute flight without any issues running the older SW/FM apart from ignoring the firmware upgrade notice in the DJIGo4 app. The P4P performed perfectly with no errors or warnings beyond the "high wind velocity" which IIRC is an issue with the older FW. So given that I didn't run into any issues with the older SW/FW I am going to skip the upgrade process for now. This might turn out to be a mistake if something comes up in the field and I have to do an upgrade to remedy any problem, and then run into issues. If that happens then I'll be turning to the experts in this forum rather than spend any time with DJI support.

With any computer technology I learned a very long time ago that if it ain't broke don't fix it and that vendors will always blame the end users for any and all problems. A lot of "user errors" are symptomatic of bad design and or engineering in the first place.

Ordinarily I will wait 30 days before applying any firmware updates but with DJI and its NFZ implementation it seems prudent to wait indefinitely. I knew this going in with my purchase of the P4P but would have been more than a little upset had I bought an Inspire 2 and later found I was limited by DJI on how and when and where I could operate it.

Reactions: eeire54
Maybe drones is not the best hobby for you. It seems to make you a very negative person (check out all of your recent posts where you're attacking other forum members).

If @azgeek decides to upgrade and needs help downgrading later, I'd be happy to help. I'm here every day helping other forum members.
Thanks for all you do. I learned a lot here just by reading.

Reactions: msinger
100% up to date on P4P (and MP) with no issues. iOS/iPad 4 Mini. (iPhone 6+ for the MP).
Indeed some of my furthest distance flights were on Friday afternoon.

DJI issues do include (in my case) class C warnings where there is no class C airspace at all...

OTOH, I updated to iOS 10.3.3 on my iPhone 6+ and iPad Mini 4 - "CPU overload" has occurred on both since - despite "kicking out" all apps and turning off many features in iOS to reduce CPU load.

Saw on the Play Store, 500,000 to 1,000,000 downloads of Go 4.
You would think that mostly it must work, or these boards would be literally overwhelmed with new reports of issues.

I know there has been a host of software updates but I'm hesitant to upgrade anything because of the concerns I was hearing about the new process for activating software and firmware updates this past May. I'm going to be doing some flying next week and really don't want to have any problems when I'm out in the boonies. Recommendations?

Just leave it where it is. The update is nothing but grief and you will have a paper weight on your hands.

That is COMPLETE nonsense! Once you update you CANNOT roll back anything without hacking. Better think twice and actually read thru some of the threads before following msingers advice. Just remember DJI WANTS you to update to take control OUT of your hands and IN TO THEIRS!

Don't buy a drone or update if you are not experienced with digital systems and good firmware maintenance techniques. Rolling back IS doable, but so far not necessary. I do wish DJI would release software that handles getting into and out of Intelligent Flight Modes reliabily. In my case, by necessity, I have had to avoid Intelligent Flight Modes and focus on improving my manual flying and camera control skills

NO, NO, NO!!! DO NOT UPDATE!!! I have not updated my P4 since May of 2016 and had zero problems and no real flight restrictions have been put on my bird.
Do a test flight and if all seems normal, then leave it alone. All I read on here is complaints about firmware and software updates leading to issues and restrictions. So I have no intention of updating ever if I don't have to, no reason to change it if it's flying properly.

I just returned from my trip. The P4P worked well with no upgrades. I did 30 flights in 6 states and captured a total of 5 hours and 46 minutes of video. I did my first "over water" flights and, aside from being more nervous than usual, no mishaps or close calls. The only place I wanted to fly but couldn't was Alabama Hills near Lone Pine, CA. Although there are lots of drone videos of the area I discovered it was in an MOA and I wasn't going to fly there.

Now that I'm back home I have more time to do some of the upgrades and see how that goes.

Reactions: Bakersfield Quad
I just returned from my trip. The P4P worked well with no upgrades. I did 30 flights in 6 states and was in the air for a total of 5 hours and 46 minutes. Now I have more time to do some of the upgrades and see how that goes.
Hey, that should prove interesting. Mine hasn't had problems and completely up to date, every time I link.

Reactions: azgeek
The only place I wanted to fly but couldn't was Alabama Hills near Lone Pine, CA. Although there are lots of drone videos of the area I discovered it was in an MOA and I wasn't going to fly there.
upload_2017-8-27_11-27-57.png

You were good to fly from the surface to 200' there, and anytime on weekends; and anytime outside the hours above.

Reactions: azgeek

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3