Has anyone here NOT crashed a drone?

So far so good. One close call. 110 flights and 12 hours of flight time on three birds, Phantom 3 Pro, Mavic Pro, Inspire 1 Ver. 2
The key is pre-flight planning and situational awareness.
My demo:

I like the transitions, very well done. I struggle with them myself, either they end up being to ragged and abrupt or to slow and unprofessional looking. What video editor software do you use?

Reactions: Phil DeVore
I just got a Phantom 3 Standard as my first drone. I plan on being super conservative with it. I got to do mostly family aerial video and high B roll. Nothing too far away.

I’m a little concerned because it seems like everyone says that no matter what you will eventually crash your drone. I don’t really have the funds to replace it. So I am wondering if it’s possible to not crash if you’re careful.
Maybe I’m a pessimist but I think unless you’re unbelievably fortunate or you have extraordinary beginner skills a crash is in the cards for any drone pilot. There are just too many things that can go wrong when you’re dealing with a computer with 4 or more propellers attached. I have crashed my P3S several times with all but one being my fault. Also like the man said DJI and other drone manufacturers don’t have a really good record when it comes to quality control for their products. I personally bought an Inspire 2 that was defective and even after repeated (10+) calls to DJI to try and find out what was going on I had to use my DJI care refresh I had purchased in order for it to finally get resolved and have a bird that flew like it was supposed to. I guess the point that I’m trying to make is if you wanna fly drones then there’s always something that’ll be a challenge and you just have to be as diligent as you can and enjoy your time up in the air. Even after all my struggles I will continue to fly because there’s nothing else like it for me. Hope you get as much fun as I do out of them.

"I don't intend to crash", somebody said.
Yes! I believe that almost all of you think the same. Experience and a lot of practice are the best to avoid making stupid things.
But...! Yes, I fly the drone for nearly 3 years. Once I flew into the tree because of my false predicting where the drone should be without direct visual contact. It happened to be at least 150 m away from the predicted point. I decided then: I'll never fly not seeing what is in front of the drone. At least on the screen (I flew it backward than).

Now I bought the P4P. I had it only few days when I decided to make filming the house flying circular at around 30 m distance (manually, not with intelligent flight mode). There was only that object and all around were plane fields, so I had no fears to hit something and I flew a bit too fast. It was very sunny day. I couldn't see the drone when it was in front of the sun. The distance from the object to the drone according to the screen picture was estimated wrong, as I was not very familiar with the build in display on RC. It turned out that this distance was near 60m. And the same was the distance to the group of trees behind me. Suddenly the RC began beeping and before I recognized this as the obstacle warning sound I heard the drone fighting with branches of those trees and of course the picture on screen began spinning.
In spite of the soft grass under those trees one leg of the drone was lightly bent and one propeller was broken. This last thing was of no relevance as I have always some of them in the box. I can turn the motors on after that but I've got the warning message that one of the compasses is not connected. In this situation would be unreasonable to fly onward.
The drone is now at service for repair. On my costs of course.

So much about the experience and skills I believe I have and I also had no intention to crash the new P4P+. And for the top of it, this was the same principle of accident as the previous crash with the old P3A last year.
What to be learned out of this?
The estimated position of the drone if you not been able to see it is usually false, so act having this in your mind. This drones are very fast and they can be far away from the point you predicted to be. And always fly above the highest object around the drone.

Andy

I just got a Phantom 3 Standard as my first drone. I plan on being super conservative with it. I got to do mostly family aerial video and high B roll. Nothing too far away.

I’m a little concerned because it seems like everyone says that no matter what you will eventually crash your drone. I don’t really have the funds to replace it. So I am wondering if it’s possible to not crash if you’re careful.

Yes, it's also possible to drive a car for 60 years and never have accident. A crash can happen, and probably will happen. If this is not something you can accept, then don't buy one. On the other hand I've had mine for about a year and just the amazing pics and vids I have so far are worth it if it does end up dead in the water so to speak. Crashed it two weeks in because I got cocky with it and had to raplace the hole camera Assembly,$649. My son has crashed is twice on landing with no damage to the quad. The batteries are very likely to crack th front housing where the lights and button is, but they still work and latch in properly.

It is very important to make sure the upper and lower larches are engaged when installing the batteries. Have fun, tke a little risk every now and then and you will enjoy the rewards, I guarantee it.

I've been flying a P3S, P4P, and a Mavik for 4 years and am happy to say I've never crashed once. I did get my P4P caught about 85 feet up in a tree once and when the power company was getting it down, they dropped it - an $850 oops.

Sorry my friend, it WILL happen. The best you can hope for is to clip a small tree branch and land upright or grind a propeller. The worst is dunking it. The propeller you can replace. Land in the water and the only thing that will be worth anything will BE the propellers.

Roughly 40 hours, 700+ miles over 278 flights. Mostly 5 mile+ round trips. Only 2 lows altitude prop destroying bone head moves. Phantom P3.

Over 550 flights (1.6 million meters) with the P4 and P4P and never had a crash. A few heart stopping moments, yes, but never a crash. Experience and knowledge with the controls, buttons, switches and display data on the RC unit is a must. Watching and knowing where the AC unit is and location of obstacles (including mother earth) is mandatory. I also increase my vigilance with the wind speed.

Last edited:

Its hard to crash, you'd need to be kinda dumb to crash one. They fly themselves

Never YET... I keep pushing the distance with modified antennas etc and if I keep going maybe one day my luck will run out

I just got a Mavic Pro Platinum but I still treasure my Phantom 3 Standard. What I love is its simplicity and dependability. It is so reliable, fun to fly and takes beautiful photos. If it weren't for portability with the Mavic I would not have bought it. The Mavic is really so complex you have to study photography to figure out the many many options. Just be careful where you fly. Watch for obstacles and keep an eye on your battery level. It has most of the fancy options the more expensive ones have. You are buying at a prefect time, getting it for a great price.

It's perfectly possible not to crash. It just needs careful flight planning with conservative margins for error, attention to details such as aircraft conditions (props etc.), wind speed, launch location hazards (magnetic interference etc.), and careful, undistracted piloting.
"Perfectly"? It's just a matter of time, no matter how careful, ATD or prior planning.

I crashed 2 drones with in half an hour. The first was because I was trying to follow a new bike trail that was being installed by my house. I brought the drone down next to a tree and flew into one of the branch's. The second was a Typhoon H that would not turn except when flying very slowly. It flew straight when I wanted it to turn. I snapped off parts of at least one propeller maybe more. I still had some control for about 30 feet then it crashed. Both of these were my fault The Phantom 3 was not repairable the Typhoon H was. I sold the Typhoon H and bought a Phantom 4 Pro+ and a Mavic Pro. The only problems that I have with either bird is flying into the sun.
Are you still riding the 1600?

I've crashed my P3 at least three or four times. Once I hit a tree and it landed upside down on the frozen pond...props still spinning. Thing is...they are really built well and can put up with a lot. I have yet to damage it.

I had my first major crash today when I sneezed twice in a row. Ripped the. Gimbal arm off and broke the ribbon cable. Already ordered a used 2.7k camera with gimbal to replace the broken one.

Also, I have to go farther away than the neighborhood park, too much WiFi interference there but I will see where can I go that is not too far away. Before the crash the P3S was having problems with commands from remote.

If you own a drone and fly it in enything less than 100% perfect conditions you have crashed it!
The skill is to know when and how this happens, if anyone says they have been flying for more than a year and never crashed great, but not me!
If you cannot afford to risk crashing a drone then this probably is not the hobby/ skill for them

Reactions: AA2PR and gsreinke
The only quad I've crashed is my Blade QX1 and that was due to the GPS error. It was a meter or so out on a RTH and settled on the top of my backyard fence where it tumbled to the ground (on the neighbours side too, so I had to jump the fence to retrieve it). No damage.

Never crashed my 2 P3S's

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart