Hand Catch Motor Off

Reaction score
I have not done a hand catch yet but would like to give it a try, but I have a question about the method for turning the motors off. The two methods you can use it you land it on the ground is: pull the left stick back and hold it for 3 seconds, and a CSC using both sticks. Now, the problem I have with hand catching is that it only leaves you one hand to turn the motors off so doing the CSC would seem to be a bit too awkward to do but I'm not sure the left stick back trick works if the bird is still in the air. So, what's the deal?

Brian

hoover above you hit autoland catch it hold it and motors will shut off automatically without touching controller

I have not done a hand catch yet but would like to give it a try, but I have a question about the method for turning the motors off. The two methods you can use it you land it on the ground is: pull the left stick back and hold it for 3 seconds, and a CSC using both sticks. Now, the problem I have with hand catching is that it only leaves you one hand to turn the motors off so doing the CSC would seem to be a bit too awkward to do but I'm not sure the left stick back trick works if the bird is still in the air. So, what's the deal?
It's left stick down for 3 seconds while you hold the Phantom level and steady.
If you wobble the Phantom it won't stop until it's been steady and level for 3 seconds (that's how the Phantom knows it has landed).

I never do CSC to land the aircraft. Use only left stick down for 3 seconds. Any time phantom can't go down further with stick holding down for 3 seconds, all motors will stop. That's the landed position.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Καλλιστώ
I always set remote down walk over catch it and motors just shut off

Easy Peasy Raptorman! Hover just above or at top of your head high. Walk up and grab it as high as you can on landing skid and pull down left stick for 3 sec. Done. It's not hard to hold the controller in left hand and do this buddy.

Thanks guys, that's what I needed to know. I wasn't sure the left stick back for 3 seconds would work if the bird was still in the air and if you hand catch the bottom sensors will be able to see that the bird is feet above the normal landing height.

Brian

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Thanks guys, that's what I needed to know. I wasn't sure the left stick back for 3 seconds would work if the bird was still in the air and if you hand catch the bottom sensors will be able to see that the bird is feet above the normal landing height.

Brian
You will be beeping some as the sensors can see you Raptorman. But just pull it down to the right height and walk up from the side of it and grab it. You'll never let it touch the ground again once you do it this way. Really appreciate your research and help in the video capture of these birds man! Happy flying!

One more thing ... if you move your hand to catch the bird but the rear sensor/camera sees it wont the bird lurch forward? I guess the trick is to approach with you hand from the side and below. The P4P is not the same as the P4 and the rear sensors could pose another risk with lurching forward. So, has anyone with a P4P/P4P+ used hand catching yet?

Brian

One more thing ... if you move your hand to catch the bird but the rear sensor/camera sees it wont the bird lurch forward? I guess the trick is to approach with you hand from the side and below. The P4P is not the same as the P4 and the rear sensors could pose another risk with lurching forward. So, has anyone with a P4P/P4P+ used hand catching yet?

Brian
It will only lurch forward if you have that enabled. I leave that off. It's the enable backwards flight button. It's off by default I'm pretty sure. No reason to be on imo. It could accidentally get backed into something on its own. lol I have the P4P btw.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl