Ha ha. You can actually buy this.

PUBLIC PERCEPTION is exactly what this is about.

WE may know it's just a vest, but to the public, it makes a statement and if it keeps the ones with an attitude towards us at bay - then I'm all for it.
See posts 38 and 39.

And to be honest and a little less glib than my thread title, I’d have to say that I would be concerned about the public prtcrep
PUBLIC PERCEPTION is exactly what this is about.

WE may know it's just a vest, but to the public, it makes a statement and if it keeps the ones with an attitude towards us at bay - then I'm all for it.
I agree with a vest. I think it can be accomplished without the potentially misleading FAA in huge block letters (and the unverified license claim). These actually might, in some cases, give a negative impression. Not the vest itself. And I also wonder if a bonafide FAA person might not take too kindly to it.

The good news is, that everybody knows you are a FAA Licensed Drone Pilot. The bad news is, they don't know that you can get that license without ever having even seen a drone.

I guess I’m going to get into a fight here. :)

To start with I think the big huge FAA lettering followed by the much smaller lettering completing the sentencing appears to be a little bit buffy. ;-). Like trying to look a little too official.

The do not disturb part isn’t a bad idea. But does one really need to advertise that they are licensed? These are just my opinions. I know people will disagree but hopefully not take offense. But my personal style wouldn’t feel the need to brag that I’m licensed. Maybe I’m missing a good reason to put that on your back. But as someone else pointed out, there is no validation that it’s true. It just feels to me like a dose of self importance. Doesn’t make the wearer a bad person. But different things strike different people funny.

Unless this vest covers some type of legal liability issue then its just braggadocios. I would think it would attract attention, not avoid it.

Reactions: flockshot
Unless this vest covers some type of legal liability issue then its just braggadocios. I would think it would attract attention, not avoid it.
Braggadocios. That’s the word I was searching for. Thank you.

Reactions: flockshot
the faa recommends wearing a vest as described..

"The vests should have wording such as “Drone Pilot Please Do Not Disturb”, “Drone Pilot Stand Clear”, “Drone Pilot”, “Designated Visual Observer” or similar for purposes of identification and to caution against distraction."

You'll notice they don't include 'FAA Licensed' in their suggested wording, but it's almost impossible to find one on the internet without 'FAA Licensed' designation on it.

What are the benefits of becoming a licensed commercial pilot?
If you became a "licensed" commercial pilot you'd be the first one since 1958 as since the Aviation Act of 1958 all FAA pilots in the USA are FAA "Cerificated" Pilots. FAA Licensed Pilots don't exist in the USA!
What are the benefits of becoming a licensed commercial pilot?

If you became a "licensed" commercial pilot you'd be the first one since 1958 as since the Aviation Act of 1958 all FAA pilots in the USA are FAA "Cerificated" Pilots. FAA Licensed Pilots don't exist in the USA!

another good reason to avoid the "FAA Licensed" version of the safety vest

Reactions: bsartist
In my business I use this vest 90% of time, a bright yellow "landing disc", orange cones, a hard hat and boots (normally I wear flip flops 99.9% of my time) - This as mentioned above is the requirement if you want on job site... I use the vest when flying for fun if I am near people... and I clip my FAA license to the front. I have had cops hang out with me and observe, with nary a hint of obstruction. But then again I live/work in Hawaii where we all try to live/work with Aloha.

...You'll notice they don't include 'FAA Licensed' in their suggested wording, but it's almost impossible to find one on the internet without 'FAA Licensed' designation on it.
Because people want to buff and brag. ;-)

In my business I use this vest 90% of time, a bright yellow "landing disc", orange cones, a hard hat and boots (normally I wear flip flops 99.9% of my time) - This as mentioned above is the requirement if you want on job site... I use the vest when flying for fun if I am near people... and I clip my FAA license to the front. I have had cops hang out with me and observe, with nary a hint of obstruction. But then again I live/work in Hawaii where we all try to live/work with Aloha.
It’s the wording. The wording. Not the vest.

All of our crew use the vest when working close to people or cars. It really does affect the PUBLIC PERCEPTION of us. They see us like Men at Work and they slow down and pay attention. They respect us too. Our vests says nothing but we are noticeable at least. The vest we are talking about on this topic seems a bit cocky to me but it's just my opinion. If we had anything written our ours, it would definitely be "UAV Crew on Duty", period.
I also have my portable VHF strapped on me and they can hear the manned aircraft traffic around and realize we are part of it. We don't look like the kids and their Walmart drone but professionals at work. This is where I love our white hair, haha!
When working on or near a construction site, we all have the vest, the boots and the hard hat. It boils down to: if you want to be seen and treated like a pilot, look and act like a pilot.
Also, we make sure we have all the paperwork handy, along with the Operational flight plan, the I.D.'s, proof of insurance. crew licenses, owner or city's authorization and Certificate number. Cops are more than welcome.

Last edited:
All of our crew use the vest when working close to people or cars. It really does affect the PUBLIC PERCEPTION of us. They see us like Men at Work and they slow down and pay attention. They respect us too. Our vests says nothing but we are noticeable at least. The vest we are talking about on this topic seems a bit cocky to me but it's just my opinion. If we had anything written our ours, it would definitely be "UAV Crew on Duty", period.
I also have my portable VHF strapped on me and they can hear the manned aircraft traffic around and realize we are part of it. We don't look like the kids and their Walmart drone but professionals at work. This is where I love our white hair, haha!
When working on or near a construction site, we all have the vest, the boots and the hard hat. It boils down to: if you want to be seen and treated like a pilot, look and act like a pilot.
Also, we make sure we have all the paperwork handy, along with the Operational flight plan, the I.D.'s, proof of insurance. crew licenses, owner or city's authorization and Certificate number. Cops are more than welcome.
As the OP, I couldn’t agree more.

Reactions: Rudder Bug
As the OP, I couldn’t agree more.

Or just "Crew on Duty" because they don't know what UAV or UAS means and Drone is a scary word. The orange vest obviously means "Caution, something happening right now".

I personally don't like the bells and whistles, the big FAA CERTIFIED DRONE PILOT writing. It reminds me something I saw in downtown Toronto in a shopping mall while sipping my coffee. I big young guy walked by, with a wonderful lady. There was an embroidery on the back of his leather jacket, in huge capital letters "Commercial Pilot". He wanted everyone around to see he made the grade. A pilot in the big city.
I am a bush pilot working with people who's seen more airplanes than city buses or subways and over there, a pilot is just another one in the gang. There is no pride in being a pilot in my world, it's just another job like everybody else. Same thing with my drone.
Be visible when you do something weird and hazardous.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndrewCCM
I call it a "Dork Vest," and I wear a regular cheapo vest I probably got from Harbor Freight in areas where lookie-loos might have a bunch of questions. It's amazingly effective. No syntax, credentials or warnings required.
Thats right, people react differently with you. They come and ask questions about our work. They realize we are working for them, not against them.

never seen one that said "UAV Crew On Duty", unless you get one customized.
i have seen one on amazon that says "DRONE FLIGHT IN PROGRESS DO NOT DISTRACT". i think that's more in line with what the faa is wanting without seeming too braggadocio or dorky.
the 6 buck plain one is fine for me.

never seen one that said "UAV Crew On Duty", unless you get one customized.
i have seen one on amazon that says "DRONE FLIGHT IN PROGRESS DO NOT DISTRACT". i think that's more in line with what the faa is wanting without seeming too braggadocio or dorky.
the 6 buck plain one is fine for me.
I agree, plain fluo is good enough. Not only that: where I am, French is the first language and our vests would have to be bilingual, go figure. There is no room for all that text on one vest. We have plastified, bilingual signs telling the whole story and ribbons if needed. In Canada we can’t operate within a hundred feet from people or a moving vehicle once ceritified. Otherwise it is 500 hundred feet and 3 nm from any town or built up area, which means anything more than a farm. Pretty sketchy for a hobbyist in here. But yes, a fluo vest is a good idea!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18