Guess DJI has told us to buy new tablets?

I tried my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone. Couldn't see all I wanted on that small screen. Switched to Samsung Galaxy 10.5 Tab S. So much easier to see all the data. Must use extender and a lanyard though...very heavy. Had problems with lag, so turned off caching video. That took care of the lag. Am I missing something? Why would I need the video cache stored on my tablet? It's only 720p and I use what is on my card, not stored.
The 720p video can be stored on your tablet should you wish to edit your video and post right from the tablet. Might be handy if your on vacation and want to post right away. That being said, I turn off video caching also.

I use the iPad Air2. $259 from Verizon. Love it. Only issue was overheating when standing in direct sunlight (Florida) for long periods of time. (like on battery 5 or 6)

I have an LTE iPad Mini 4 that I've been using since I got my P4P, and I too have had issues after the last App update. I have a glitchy video stream back to the tablet that is choppy and gives me an occasional intermittent green screen, taking pictures often times results in a long delay between me pressing the button and the picture actually being taken, sometimes there will be a long delay with a spinning circle around the shutter button on the app after I've taken a picture, and if I try to start a video it may or may not actually start recording. I had to hover in place for nearly 5 minutes yesterday trying to take a single photo of a bridge. I have received the "CPU overloaded" message many times after the update as well. I've killed all other apps running on the tablet and run 3 different 32GB memory cards (and the 16GB that came with the AC), etc, etc etc.

DJI needs to kill all the other bloat in the app. Have one slim and stable app that's used for flying and give us the option to download the rest of the crap separately.

I use a Samsung 10.5 & a Nvidia Shield. Use the DJI sun screen for the Nvidia & made one out of light weight poster board for the Samsung. Both tablets work great for video and they both seem to have the power to crunch the software. However the 10.5 is heavy so you definitely need a neck strap. I put a little padding on mine as it helps with the neck fatigue. I own a Standard and an Advanced and often have them flying at the same time. The standard is the wife's. (BTW she is an outstanding operator)

Tried the iPad after the reset. Works OK sometimes, other times not. I tried 4 different locations to make sure it wasn't an issue with interference. I've got 4 days left to decide to return it or keep it. I definitely like the iOS version of the app over the Android version.

I totally LOVE my goggles!
So.... The newest Go 4 update has pretty much made my drone dedicated ipad mini2 useless and the processor cant keep up with the video requirements (Thanks DJI) I am now thinking about picking up a mini 4. I know I can use litchi, but would like to use go 4 as well.
Those that own the mini 4. How is the screen in sunlight? The mini 2 sucks! But I battle through. What are other good choices in the 200-250 range used? This is a dedicated tablet used only for droning for my Mavic and P4 and FB live stream on occasion.

I know I can still fly and record just fine, but cutting out mid flight is not acceptable to me. Sucks with these updates, suddenly I am forced to purchase more hardware to fly just how I could just a week ago![/QUOT

I have a mini 4, I've loved it. But lately I am having problems, I get broken image, flickering video. It happened a couple of times before. I shoot action film and loosing video for just a second is bad. Today it happened all the time. I was fit to be tied. When I got home the video is perfect. But during the bad images I couldn't see what I was shooting. I have came to the reason of over heating. I live in Florida, it was cloudy all day but humid. I use a shield that I love but, but it has a kind of a rubber back with little suction cups. Any idea how to keep it cool?

I have no idea.

We fly on average 2hrs a day during the week and on the weekends it's not uncommon to fly for 6+ hours a day during the busy season and all from a single iPad 2017. I only have Flight Aps and UAS Aps on my tablet but I have several of each.

DJI Go
Litchi
DronePan
AutoPilot

Hover
KittyHawk
UAV Forecast

Maybe it's a faulty tablet?

I do have a Mini iPad as a backup as well as iPhone but we mainly use the iPad 2017 for everything.

Have you turned off bluetooth on the ipad

I have a mini 4, I've loved it. But lately I am having problems, I get broken image, flickering video. It happened a couple of times before. I shoot action film and loosing video for just a second is bad. Today it happened all the time. I was fit to be tied. When I got home the video is perfect. But during the bad images I couldn't see what I was shooting. I have came to the reason of over heating. I live in Florida, it was cloudy all day but humid. I use a shield that I love but, but it has a kind of a rubber back with little suction cups. Any idea how to keep it cool?

as other posters have suggested , have you tried turning off video caching and alternatively using 5.8ghz which should improve lag and image quality on Mini 4 at the expense of range

Last edited:
Reactions: James Whenman
Have you turned off bluetooth on the ipad
Negative. I don't turn anything off and don't have it in Airplane mode. I just launch the ap and go fly.

I was using the mini 4 OS11 devoted only to flying. It works flawlessly... until I turn on the new OS11 built in screen recorder. Then I get the stuttering, green screen, etc. My though that the mini4 is just about maxed out by the go4 app. It just can't handle the additional demands that the screen recorded adds. I fly frequently using the screen recorder and the glitches, green screen were simply not acceptable. Doing some research I noticed that the iPad Pro uses an A10X processor while the mini uses the A8. According to Apple the A10x's cpu is 2.5 times faster than the A8, and graphics are produced 4.3 faster !! So I purchased the iPad Pro and it works great... The only issue I have is even the smaller of the the pro's is still too large and heavy. As I posted elsewhere, hard to hold the controller and pro in one hand while you swat away the insects that come out at dusk.

have you tired turning off video caching and alternatively using 5.6ghz

Try a hood and turn the brightness down on the Mini 4
I was using the mini 4 OS11 devoted only to flying. It works flawlessly... until I turn on the new OS11 built in screen recorder. Then I get the stuttering, green screen, etc. My though that the mini4 is just about maxed out by the go4 app. It just can't handle the additional demands that the screen recorded adds. I fly frequently using the screen recorder and the glitches, green screen were simply not acceptable. Doing some research I noticed that the iPad Pro uses an A10X processor while the mini uses the A8. According to Apple the A10x's cpu is 2.5 times faster than the A8, and graphics are produced 4.3 faster !! So I purchased the iPad Pro and it works great... The only issue I have is even the smaller of the the pro's is still too large and heavy. As I posted elsewhere, hard to hold the controller and pro in one hand while you swat away the insects that come out at dusk.

It's a pity, as the Mini 4 is a better form factor for the Mavic and Spark RC's, I myself use the Ipad Pro 10.5in as well but more so with the P4P as it fits in the controller without any modifications.
I suspect the cheaper Ipad 2017 has just as good performance

It's a pity, as the Mini 4 is a better form factor for the Mavic and Spark RC's, I myself use the Ipad Pro 10.5in as well but more so with the P4P as it fits in the controller without any modifications.
Thanks for your suggestions...I do have video caching off... also I do use 5.8. It is a pity as the mini 4 size is perfect for me... not too small, not to big... the weight also... good. Actually I use the mini 4 with the screen recorder with my P3P and it works perfectly... Not so with the P4P previously mentioned.

The Ipad 2017 has the A9 chip, so not on par with the Pro models.

I've decided to keep mine, I can deal with occasional video glitches I guess.

The Ipad 2017 has the A9 chip, so not on par with the Pro models.

I've decided to keep mine, I can deal with occasional video glitches I guess.
I'm not sure if you need the A10x cpu of the Ipad Pro 10.5, I haven't seen much difference in performance, I have both the Ipad pro 10.5 and the Ipad 2017 and have used both with the latest version of DJI Go4 which is 4.1.12, both Ipads are running IOS 11.02

I'm not sure if you need the A10x cpu of the Ipad Pro 10.5, I haven't seen much difference in performance, I have both the Ipad pro 10.5 and the Ipad 2017 and have used both with the latest version of DJI Go4 which is 4.1.12, both Ipads are running IOS 11.02

I have no experience with other Apple products, but I'm impressed with how fast apps open and work. Since I have the standard I'm using the other app. I bet the on screen quality is better since you're not depending on the quality of the wifi signal?

I have no experience with other Apple products, but I'm impressed with how fast apps open and work. Since I have the standard I'm using the other app. I bet the on screen quality is better since you're not depending on the quality of the wifi signal?

Both the Ipad 2017 and the Ipad Pro 10.5 have retina resolution screens with the same 264 pixel per in, the Pro has some small screen improvements, but as your just using it as a wired display it's pretty much the same

What is the other app your using with the standard ?

Both the Ipad 2017 and the Ipad Pro 10.5 have retina resolution screens with the same 264 pixel per in, the Pro has some small screen improvements, but as your just using it as a wired display it's pretty much the same

What is the other app your using with the standard ?

The other app I was referring to is the DJI Go before 4 rather than the DJI Go4 app. I believe the fpv video with the 4 app is 720, not sure what it is with the before 4 app, certainly not 720, at least not in my experience. 240 is more like it.

I have an LTE iPad Mini 4 that I've been using since I got my P4P, and I too have had issues after the last App update. I have a glitchy video stream back to the tablet that is choppy and gives me an occasional intermittent green screen, taking pictures often times results in a long delay between me pressing the button and the picture actually being taken, sometimes there will be a long delay with a spinning circle around the shutter button on the app after I've taken a picture, and if I try to start a video it may or may not actually start recording. I had to hover in place for nearly 5 minutes yesterday trying to take a single photo of a bridge. I have received the "CPU overloaded" message many times after the update as well. I've killed all other apps running on the tablet and run 3 different 32GB memory cards (and the 16GB that came with the AC), etc, etc etc.

DJI needs to kill all the other bloat in the app. Have one slim and stable app that's used for flying and give us the option to download the rest of the crap separately.

That sounds like some of the issues I was having. Except I just got a P4pro and new iPad Mini 4 with iOS 11 after using a P3pro and older iPad Mini. I wasn't sure if the P4Pro was "supposed" have slower right speeds than I was used to. But after a few flights it didn't seem right. I tried using my iPhone 6 and none of the symptoms occurred. So I uninstalled the GO4 app on my iPad Mini, did a hard reset, then reinstalled it. Now it seems to be working normally. Maybe try that?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka