Greetings from the arctic north

Reaction score
Phantom 3SE,-iPAD Air 2.

Hello all.
Newbie at flying drones. Taking it step by step. First flight last night was spendt learning auto take-off, auto landing and RTH. In november the sun will dissappear for 3 months and a week before that happens the sky is incredibly beautiful with colors you just won't believe is possible. I hope I'll be able to shoot some videos during those short days.

Reactions: KentA and dirkclod
Be careful. Did you read in the manual about trying to fly too far north? It is not supposed to work well if you are too far north. I hope it does well for you. I would love to see some of your videos.

It has worked well in GPS mode so far. Very stable,-it keeps it's position when I let go of the sticks. Let's hope it doesn't decide to visit the north pole . . . .

Yes - it's the risk with the compass. Obviously the compass won't work at or too close to true magnetic north, and since true magnetic north is actually somewhere not precisely on the poles, and since you likely don't know exactly where true magnetic north is in the arctic, if you're flying up there, there is a risk of major issues.

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in DJI quadcopters.

Yes - it's the risk with the compass. Obviously the compass won't work at or too close to true magnetic north, and since true magnetic north is actually somewhere not precisely on the poles, and since you likely don't know exactly where true magnetic north is in the arctic, if you're flying up there, there is a risk of major issues.

The magnetic pole is in northern Canada at Ellesmere Island, west of Greenland which is very far from my location. But had I flown in Ellesmere Island the compass would be spinning wildly. Another thing to be concerned with are mountains containing magnetic iron-ore. There are a few of those in Norway but they're at a safe distance from here.

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

This site has been very helpful already. As for photos/videos I'm located in a place with stunning scenery and light conditions and since I'm living in the very center of the county I'm no more than three hours away from anywhere else.
Please google "photos finnmark norway" and see what kind of footage that can be expected up here.

Reactions: KentA and dirkclod
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in DJI quadcopters.

A workmate of mine told me yesterday that her son took his bird out for the first flight and lost it. That's what happens when safety knowledge is absent.

This site has been very helpful already. As for photos/videos I'm located in a place with stunning scenery and light conditions and since I'm living in the very center of the county I'm no more than three hours away from anywhere else.
Please google "photos finnmark norway" and see what kind of footage that can be expected up here.
What might be common to you, may be beautiful to us. Presentation can make common beautiful also.

I just looked. You have some nice scenery. What are all those “y” looking concrete things?

What might be common to you, may be beautiful to us. Presentation can make common beautiful also.

I just looked. You have some nice scenery. What are all those “y” looking concrete things?

I can't find any pic with "Y" shaped concrete things in it. If you post the link to the image I'll be happy to explain what they might be.

Yes,-there's plenty of wow-factor in this part of the world, but making good footage even here will take skill and plenty of patience and preparing . . . and the ability to tolerate very cold temperatures and wind for a long time.

Reactions: KentA
I'm anxious to know what you learn so I'm glad you're posting here.

I can't find any pic with "Y" shaped concrete things in it. If you post the link to the image I'll be happy to explain what they might be.
I looked again, but couldn’t find it. It had 3 legs and 1 upper leg all the same length, made from concrete. There were many of them in a row. I was looking at pictures for a long time when I first looked. I found your area very interesting. I love nature. You have some nice minerals ( kyanite ). I love people’s culture. I love food( crab, fish). I would like to set quietly and observe nature and take pictures.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94