GPS

Reaction score
I use the same home location all of the time for launching. Lately, I am having difficulty keeping GPS lock. Error messages like Interference, magnetic field, etc....keeps moving over to Atti mode....any ideas? Same thing happens after Calibrating the Compass.

I had this problem when launching in my backyard. I am near power lines, trees, and other houses. I sometimes get those messages and sometimes dont. I just updated to the latest firmware last night, and flew in my backyard for 2 minutes and didn't get any errors. Who knows what will happen when I try again.

It could be a bad compass calibration on your end? Where are you launching from? What's around you?

I am launching from my driveway and have before with no problems. We do have trees and other houses, but never a problems before. The power lines are not very near me and I don't fly around them. I still fly the XK380 and no problems,,,just got the Standard and I like it....no problems the first 10 flights out....Maybe you're right and I need to re-calibrate. Thanks.

When I launch from my driveway, I get compass calibration warnings depending on where I place the drone - rebar in the concrete, I suppose. I use a large cardboard box now and I have no problems. I don't land on the box but that doesn't seem to be a problem as far as the compass is concerned

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

When I launch from my driveway, I get compass calibration warnings depending on where I place the drone - rebar in the concrete, I suppose. I use a large cardboard box now and I have no problems. I don't land on the box but that doesn't seem to be a problem as far as the compass is concerned

Question, when you do a compass calibration, aren't you picking the drone up and then spinning it? Does it do something when its on the ground, before you pick it up? Just wondering, maybe thats why I have some compass errors at times, because I have no idea what's under my brick patio when I calibrate it.

Question, when you do a compass calibration, aren't you picking the drone up and then spinning it? Does it do something when its on the ground, before you pick it up? Just wondering, maybe thats why I have some compass errors at times, because I have no idea what's under my brick patio when I calibrate it.
I'm not sure what you mean by "do something when it's on the ground." You may know this but you do the calibration by first either being told to do it via DJI GO 4 or by finding the place in the GO 4 app that leads you through the calibration process. I calibrate my P4P indoors well away from magnetic interference. I would do it outside away from interference, but I live in South Dakota and it is very, very cold and because of snow, I can't easily stand anywhere but my driveway.

Incidentally, I brick or paving stone patio shouldn't pose a problem as there is likely no metal in the structure.

Reactions: vikassi
I'm not sure what you mean by "do something when it's on the ground." You may know this but you do the calibration by first either being told to do it via DJI GO 4 or by finding the place in the GO 4 app that leads you through the calibration process. I calibrate my P4P indoors well away from magnetic interference. I would do it outside away from interference, but I live in South Dakota and it is very, very cold and because of snow, I can't easily stand anywhere but my driveway.

Incidentally, I brick or paving stone patio shouldn't pose a problem as there is likely no metal in the structure.
Do you initiate your compass calibration while holding the drone or do you place it on the ground first, and then initiate the compass calibration. I know you pick it up to do the spin, lol. I set mine on the ground first, then initiate the compass calibration, then pick up and spin. I was wondering if having it on the ground while initiating the calibration could affect the drone, considering the unknown under a brick patio.

FYI - You are NOT supposed to calibrate the compass indoors for any reason.

Doing compass calibration indoors is wrong.

It does not take much to create magnetic influence.

If its too cold outside to do calibration - then you aren't flying anyway !

Nigel

I appreciate the good advice from all the experienced pilots here but describing calibrating indoors as being "wrong" strikes me as an interesting characterization. The DJI manual says nothing about going outside - just to avoid ferromagnetic interference, which I have done. Also, doing so "inside" has resulted in accurate calibrations. Finally, while it may be cold and snowy where I live, it hasn't kept me from flying. And the machine, and it's compass, have worked brilliantly.

I am certainly open minded and am wondering if those with experience here can offer evidence of a consistent inability to get an accurate calibration indoors? What am I missing?

As a trained navigator and compasses being an important part of that - makes me extremely aware of likely errors.

Indoors - you have AC current via cables .... as well as metal work in the house.

I would suggest that you are extremely lucky if you have calibrated indoors and had no problems.

Nigel

As a trained navigator and compasses beung an important part of that - makes me extremely aware of likely errors.

Indoors - you have AC current via cables .... as well as metal work in the house.

I would suggest that tiu are extremely lucky if you have calibrated indoors and had no problems.

Nigel

Thanks, Nigel. I'll be more careful. But if I tried to fly with a poorly calibrated compass, wouldn't I get the "needs calibration" message? And even if I didn't and took off, then what happens?

If your compass is calibrated wrongly then your poor drone has no idea where in the Universe it is and that's when you get the famous flyway situation. Although where the drone thinks it's going I have no idea.

Do you initiate your compass calibration while holding the drone or do you place it on the ground first, and then initiate the compass calibration. I know you pick it up to do the spin, lol. I set mine on the ground first, then initiate the compass calibration, then pick up and spin. I was wondering if having it on the ground while initiating the calibration could affect the drone, considering the unknown under a brick patio.
You can have it sitting on the ground while you initiate calibration as the actually calibration doesn't happen until the drone starts changing it's position ie. when you pick it up and do the little dance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak