GPS frustration

Reaction score
I live in AZ in a community with approximately 600 homes.
empty lots surround the development.
So I have clear spots to hover around 399ft and film hot air balloons that evade our area on the weekends!
If I get 9-10 satellites locked it's a good day.
I'm frustrated because I lose GPS signal around 700-800 ft away!!!
WTH I see some people getting 1,2,3,4 miles (not that that's what I'm looking for) but 700ft that's aggravating as hell!!! I adjust my antennas every which way possible and once made it 1400ft (oh what a record breaker there)
Anyways I'm frustrated as hell because there's some great videos I could shoot where there a golf course that's surrounded by water at ever hole but I can't seem to make it far enough to film it do to the fact the only place to take off is 1/2 mile away!
But 700ft c'mon!!!!
Any ideas?

GPS do you have another GPS unit you can compare to?
Try that line could be location.
Sources of GPS signal errors
Factors that can degrade the GPS signal and thus affect accuracy include the following:

• Ionosphere and troposphere delays - The satellite signal slows as it passes through the atmosphere. The GPS system uses a built-in model that calculates an average amount of delay to partially correct for this type of error.
  • Signal 6multipath - This occurs when the GPS signal is reflected off objects such as tall buildings or large rock surfaces before it reaches the receiver. This increases the travel time of the signal, thereby causing errors.
  • Receiver clock errors - A receiver's built-in clock is not as accurate as the atomic clocks onboard the GPS satellites. Therefore, it may have very slight timing errors.
  • Orbital errors - Also known as ephemeris errors, these are inaccuracies of the satellite's reported location.
  • Number of satellites visible - The more satellites a GPS receiver can "see," the better the accuracy. Buildings, terrain, electronic interference, or sometimes even dense foliage can block signal reception, causing position errors or possibly no position reading at all. GPS units typically will not work indoors, underwater or underground.
  • Satellite geometry/shading - This refers to the relative position of the satellites at any given time. Ideal satellite geometry exists when the satellites are located at wide angles relative to each other. Poor geometry results when the satellites are located in a line or in a tight grouping.
  • Intentional degradation of the satellite signal - Selective Availability (SA) is an intentional degradation of the signal once imposed by the U.S. Department of Defense. SA was intended to prevent military adversaries from using the highly accurate GPS signals. The government turned off SA in May 2000, which significantly improved the accuracy of civilian GPS receivers.
There are some very good apps that show GPS satellite llocation's above the location you are in.

Last edited:
You say you lose GPS signal. Is that what you really mean, or do you mean video or control signal? Adjusting your antenna will not help GPS signal since it is in the craft. Plus, you could fly without it. You should not be losing GPS unless you are under something. But because of all the homes you could get interference on the video feed. Most of these long distance flights have been over water or open land. There is not interference there. I would suggest a better antenna. Like a DBS antenna.

Reactions: N017RW
You say you lose GPS signal. Is that what you really mean, or do you mean video or control signal? Adjusting your antenna will not help GPS signal since it is in the craft. Plus, you could fly without it. You should not be losing GPS unless you are under something. But because of all the homes you could get interference on the video feed. Most of these long distance flights have been over water or open land. There is not interference there. I would suggest a better antenna. Like a DBS antenna.

My thoughts as well

+1

Seems there must by a terminology issue here.

I fly out beyond 2km frequently... over a city of over 150k. 600 homes is NOT going to be a factor! There might be some interference, but not that 600 meters out would see. You need to start over and tell us what is actually happening. As has been stated, satellites have nothing to do with signal distance. And video signal range has nothing to do with remote control-ability. So what is actually happening?

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440874072.169149.jpg
this is the message that keeps popping up on my screen. 1800ft is like a record for me!
I received this message probably 10 while getting to that 1800ft. First one was around 350ft

That has nothing to do with GPS. You have plenty of satellites. I have never seen transmitter signed get lost before video. Something is not right there. Sorry I can't help.

I'm going to our big park tmrw where I fly my P2V+ and have never had an issue what so ever
I'll screen shoot the issues as they pop up and maybe we can figure this out.

View attachment 28996this is the message that keeps popping up on my screen. 1800ft is like a record for me!
I received this message probably 10 while getting to that 1800ft. First one was around 350ft
Maybe it's the way you have your antennas pointed. make sure the flat sides are pointed at the copter and not the tips. (just a suggestion) Hope it helps.

I wish I had open space, I have to climb a mountain just to get above the trees. I am close to the ocean, have not tried that area yet. Waiting for fall time.

I wish I had open space, I have to climb a mountain just to get above the trees. I am close to the ocean, have not tried that area yet. Waiting for fall time.
I wish I has mountains! The middle of Kansas is BORING!! But surrounded by 50 foot trees

III% Streve
I'm not sure what you're asking me.
I'm using the DJI go
I was going to try the FPV app but haven't just yet

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94