Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

GPS 4mm Upgrade Modification

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Mods' started by Duke, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Duke

I received my new Phantom today and being this will be my Video Quad out of the many mods that I did, I am happy with the 4mm GPS Copper Foil Shielding upgrade. Before the modification I set the P2 in my living room and it was able to lock on between 7 and sometimes 8 Birds. After installing the 4mm GPS and the Copper Foil Shielding Upgrade I was locked on 10 and sometimes 11 Birds. I have never seen 11 Birds outside in the clear and only a couple times have I seen 10 briefly. I am convinced this modification helps.

I am pretty good with an Iron but I was nervous as a dog chitting peach pits when I was Soldering in the new 4mm puck onto the board, but obviously I made it through ok! ;) Just thought I would give this report.

~Duke

2. dirtybum

Have a v-3 that locks 12 sat in my area and a v-2 that would dance 5-7 . I did the 4mm puck & copper tape shield, immediately locks 9-12(6-7 indoors) cost for parts on e-bay
    $5

3. Duke

Hey Bum ya have some links of those E-bay Parts? Thanks Duke

4. kenjancef

Any link to a good video tutorial for the install??

5. dirtybum

6. kenjancef

Thanks! I'm still new to my bird, but gathering all of the info I can to keep me busy during the winter... :)

7. dirtybum

This is the one i watched, i had an extra gps module to practice on and it worked like a charm. If your soldering attempts are hit and miss like mine i would not risk screwing up you one good one. That being said it only took 10 minutes and went well this time. The copper tape shielding is pretty self explanatory, i tried to only leave barely enough gps cable exposed to get fingers in and connect

8. kenjancef

Well I intend to practice soldering a bit before I attempt it. I'd be VERY sad if I fudged up my bird...

Not to get too much off-topic, but is there a preferred style of iron to get? I'm not all too familiar with soldering (yet).

9. dirtybum

Admittedly i have a lot to learn but i've had best luck so far with mini butane,small tip,& small soldier wire

10. kenjancef

I watched the video, seems very simple. The only soldering is the pin holing the chip to the board, so it seems very simple.

Where do you put the foil though?

I also followed the ebay links. Being that both items are from China, how long did it take for you to get them?

11. dirtybum

12. dirtybum

After you do that step cover that existing shielding with the copper tape. It seems most anything I order from Hong Kong takes three weeks

13. Duke

http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...w-it-gives-yellow-blinking.49937/#post-474803

Read this thread near the bottom I give a bunch of links, Bum has some good links on parts but I used a copper foil sheet. Since I have a 4000.00 Vinyl Cutter I made a Vinyl shield to cover the copper to prevent shorts. After I applied the Vinyl directly to the copper foil sheet I trimmed it out.

Good Luck ~Duke