Got a call from the local FAA - someone 'reported' me

A WORD TO THE WISE.
NEVER discuss anything with the FAA.
As a retired commercial pilot, I've had my share of encounters with the FAA. The one that come to mind is after a very serious discussion the FAA inspector said, You haven't admitted anything. When I asked what he meant, his reply was, people will deny doing one thing while admitting to doing something else. We then charge that person with the violation they admitted too.

You are not required to answer any questions asked by the FAA. Politely decline.

The burden of proof is on the FAA.

BE VERY CAREFUL, THE FAA IS NOT YOUR FRIEND.

Last edited:
I fly where ever I want. I am responsible and use common sense. I await "the call" if whoever feels the need to squawk does so. This world is getting to be too much filled with empty headed people that think they have the intelligence to make determinations that are far above their pay grade.
Interesting. How do you stop the "empty headed" people flying drones in controlled airspace and causing near misses with passenger airplanes of which you may a passenger on some day? Add the factor of drones not being 100% reliable and predictable (fly away's reported daily). I am certain your intention is to be responsible and wish there were more drone pilots like you but you ABSOLUTELY cannot guarantee no rouge drone flyaway. There continues to be manufacture and technology flaws that, in the wrong area or wrong airspace, could have a devastating impact. Better safe, legal than sorry in my book.

Reactions: Jody88
Interesting. How do you stop the "empty headed" people flying drones in controlled airspace and causing near misses with passenger airplanes of which you may a passenger on some day? Add the factor of drones not being 100% reliable and predictable (fly away's reported daily). I am certain your intention is to be responsible and wish there were more drone pilots like you but you ABSOLUTELY cannot guarantee no rouge drone flyaway. There continues to be manufacture and technology flaws that, in the wrong area or wrong airspace, could have a devastating impact. Better safe, legal than sorry in my book.
I don't fly commercial aircraft anymore (The dangers-needs aren't weighing in the positive), I don't stop the idiots, not my job description.Life is 100% unpredicatable.Fly aways... usually the operators fault... Bottom line: I'm not responsible for others inept or otherwise careless actions, I am however, responsible for my decisions. I've been flying for a good amount of time and to date, have had no incidents that required the assistance of 911 or officer responses. For the record when I say "I fly where ever I want" it's not a smart arsed comment intentionally, it's just a statement that common sensed flights don't require a long form or a squadron of supervisors. Do whats right and you won't be on the 11:00 news....

I have a friend that is selling a mountain cabin and has asked me to do some aerials of the cabin. I am doing this as a favor and will get no compensation. I am a registered but not licensed operator, how does this apply?

Reactions: sgeiger and macoman
I have a friend that is selling a mountain cabin and has asked me to do some aerials of the cabin. I am doing this as a favor and will get no compensation. I am a registered but not licensed operator, how does this apply?
Laughs... Take no sodas, cigarettes or pats on the back. Free to do so, as long as he doesn't sell it using your footage. (Although), a grey "Loophole"... I imagine the footage, if viewed in private with NO advertising or otherwise "Selling points" could be considered "Not commercial"....

Technically, the simple fact that you have been asked to do that means that it is not recreational in the eyes of the FAA. In reality, unless your friend uses the imagery in a way that identifies you as the source or you get caught/reported in the act, it's unlikely to be a problem.

I work for a large Architecture and Engineering firm. We have our own internal group and liability insurance and SFOC and equipment and everything else. We also developed very clear contracts that any consultant would need to show that they can meet and sign prior to doing any work for us. I would assume therefor that there is inherent liability for the person or corp acquiring the services, as there should be. This may not be written clearly but it is likely to find a precedent case which is all you really need, or you could also become a precedent case.

I fly in my neighborhood making sure to keep my drone within line of sight and not flying over people. I live in an area where most folks are retirees, so most of them don't live in their yards. What I do to try and build up my skill level is I fly only along the streets. I don't like flying over houses even though I know my home owners would cover anything that happened. I fly the streets to help me learn to fly a straight line and practice on making banking turns instead of the stop, turn, and then take off. It helps me toward my goal of making smoother video shots. As for someone calling the FAA, not yet but if it did happen, I would not be surprised. Not out of anger at me or anything, but out of fear of the unknown. As I stated, where I live at is mainly populated by retired folks that don't care about technology and/or don't like it. So based on that, they would call the police first if anyone. I am studying for my Part 107 license and I have my FAA number on both of my drones. I am extremely careful.

Flying over streets where folk driving is not safe. A falling object in front or beside of the car definitely will rattle the driver and may cause accident.

Even you don't charge him but he is going to use the picture for selling, that will qualify as commercial. You need 107 .

I saw a video like this, last year?, the town was deserted & so was the streets, as it flew down the street at what seemed like 6 feet. I thought it was a very nice video, well done.

Have to agree with the others someone who knows you well. I'm a Realtor now & was first in town with a Phantom. Both MLS systems in the area got complaints, when told they had no jurisdiction, the jerk(s) complained about the pictures. Now my company hires Shutterbug for aerials, my P3P is dusty.

I fly in my neighborhood making sure to keep my drone within line of sight and not flying over people. I live in an area where most folks are retirees, so most of them don't live in their yards. What I do to try and build up my skill level is I fly only along the streets. I don't like flying over houses even though I know my home owners would cover anything that happened. I fly the streets to help me learn to fly a straight line and practice on making banking turns instead of the stop, turn, and then take off. It helps me toward my goal of making smoother video shots. As for someone calling the FAA, not yet but if it did happen, I would not be surprised. Not out of anger at me or anything, but out of fear of the unknown. As I stated, where I live at is mainly populated by retired folks that don't care about technology and/or don't like it. So based on that, they would call the police first if anyone. I am studying for my Part 107 license and I have my FAA number on both of my drones. I am extremely careful.
You are not allowed to fly over streets. Your homeowners insurance doesn't cover you for public liability. Read up a bit. Why do you think us licensed operators have to pay $1200 a year for public liability?

Reactions: andy_k
So.. you fly up and down the streets to get your skill level up? Classic.. If you want to get your skill levels up you should be in a huge field away from anyone.

Reactions: andy_k
So.. you fly up and down the streets to get your skill level up? Classic.. If you want to get your skill levels up you should be in a huge field away from anyone.
Agreed, I never flight over people or neighborhood. I always choose a public park, Forrest or mountains. Abandoned places seen to be interesting drone places.

its seems funny that a person would fly over a populated area to practice his skills. I guess if they are old people then it doesn't matter if he crashes into them.? Maybe thats the way he thinks while claiming to be careful... lol. I fly commercially and when i practice i use witches hats and a big oval to keep my skills up.

Unless the person saw your FAA registration # or more likely, they know you personally. The FAA would have no idea who you were. I suspect this person knows who you are personally to provided the FAA with your information.
Or simply their name. The faa could pull the registration off that just as easy.

I am glad to hear the FAA is fair-minded when approaching drone pilots. I am a Commercially rated pilot and just passed the part 107 test. My question to anyone who knows is this. Is the any fine or charge placed against a person or company who hires a non-licensed UAV operator flying for commercial purposes? Those of us who have taken the time to become legal to fly for hire have to compete with non-licensed operators. For example if a real estate company hires a photographer to shoot a property and a UAV is part of that photo package, the photographer or his sub, should be Part 107 compliant. If there is such a provision in place that holds the client responsible to assure the operator is operating within the law, then great. I have not been able to find this regulation. About two years ago when the FAA was trying to get its arms around the whole drone thing, they did have fines in place to charge those who hired drone operators for commercial purposes. None of these stuck since the law was not approved by congress, if I recall. Anyone, know if such a rule exists?

No, but the pilot can be fined. It is not the responsibility of the client, but of the pilot to ensure they are following the rules. Just like when you buy a plane ticket. It isn't up to you to check the pilots credili tials or aircraft maintenance logs .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl