GoPro, Timelapse + Video and Card Speed

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has addressed this issue. I'm flying a Phantom 2 with a GoPro and FPV. I have the 5.8 Immersion transmitter. I'm trying to do a 5 second timelapse along with 1080p @ 30fps writing to an Ultra 32gb card. I seem to have the following issues:

Sometimes no FPV and the GoPro is not recording - still get all the flight information but on a black screen with a yellow triangle and "file repaired" showing. Pulling the battery on the GoPro will reset everything. Eventually. But the same problem can reoccur or I get my usual FPV image and I assume all is normal. However, once I download the card, I have only my stills and about a minute or so of video. My initial flight trying this mode didn't have any problems and I have no idea why now...

Not sure if the card speed is at fault here. The Ultras are rated at 30 MB/s. Is the write speed an issue here? I have an Extreme Pro on order which is rated at 95 MB/s. Any thoughts?

I did a non flying test with the timelapse/video but at 24 fps instead of 30fps and it seemed to work.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Cheers

Known problems with the gopro using the sandisk ULTRA cards. Should be fine with the EXTREME that you ordered, thats what I have.

Stills AND video? No haven't tried that yet but loads of people had problems with the ultra cards just using 1080p video.

Yes - I have a Hero 3+ Black and it has the option of being able to do time lapse (5 seconds or longer) simultaneously with some video settings. But seeing that people are having issues with Ultra cards doing 1080p alone, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that I'm having trouble doing them both. Again, thanks for letting me know. I've only had my set up for a week so far. There's still a lot for me to learn.

Cheers

Yep I know it can do it, I just haven't yet. I have a 3 black+ too. Done a few time lapses and a bit of 1080p 60fps video, all good so far.
Also worth noting is I think when using both stills and video it will only take the stills at 5mp. Not 100% on this but may be worth asking the question or finding the answer on a gopro forum.

MrC said:
Yep I know it can do it, I just haven't yet. I have a 3 black+ too. Done a few time lapses and a bit of 1080p 60fps video, all good so far.
Also worth noting is I think when using both stills and video it will only take the stills at 5mp. Not 100% on this but may be worth asking the question or finding the answer on a gopro forum.

You are correct. According to GoPro's FAQ page, stills will only be 5mp when combined with video.

I just looked it up and saw it at 8mp stills with 1080p. My new Extreme Pro card just arrived so hopefully this will work out. Are the Ultras too slow for the 3+ in general, irregardless of the shooting mode? I tried a time lapse only today, and either I didn't set the camera correctly, or the card was at fault. Wouldn't discount my setting something incorrectly... The FPV was fine, just nothing on the card. Really a shame as the view was something else. The Phantom developed a mind of its own on the way down - at about 40m started pitching violently from side to side and dropped really fast. Wouldn't respond to any input and hit hard. Thankfully, only a single broken prop.

Ah ok 8mp is a bit better. Are you sure you started the time-lapse using the shutter button? Can't you see it taking the first few pics by looking at its screen while sitting there? Usually the ultra card probs are with higher vid resolutions 1080p+.

The pro card should def be able to handle some time lapse, its the high bitrate of the higher res video modes that causes the prob it needs up to 45mbps. The fpv works all the time even when not shooting anything.

Was todays test with the pro card or the extreme you just got? Pro card could just be totally dead - have you used the gopro to format it at all? Or maybe the gopro is at fault, have you had any success using it away from the phantom? The file repair thing does sound like a bad card mind you.

The pitching violently and dropping sounds like vortex ring state - were you coming straight down? Keep power full up and it may recover, not always though. Hasn't happened to me yet but im sure it will. Move forward or back etc while descending fast to avoid it.

There are actually two types of Sandisk Extreme cards too, one is rated at 45mb/s write and read, the other is rated at 50mb/s write and 80mb/s read. Difference in price is around $10. Check the specs before buying, in some areas the higher rated one is now called Extreme Plus. The Extreme Pro is the crème de la crème, but has a hefty price tag.

Hi
The advise I was given early on is always use a class 10, which it sounds like you are and I was also advised to format my card after each outing.

This I now do everytime with no issues.
Cheers

I use both Sandisk Extreme and Ultra cards and have never experienced any difficulties, even when shooting 2.7k Protune with the slower Ultra. I have not tried shooting video + stills simultaneously, however.

I went out with the Extreme Pro yesterday and had no issues at all. So hopefully the problem is now solved. I'll try a few more outings with it before I will assume that all is well. The video and stills feature is important to me. I may have to get involved with this on a commercial level (after insurance and permits are in place!) at some point, and having both stills and video available will be a must.

As for the Ultra - I did format it after each outing, so I'm not sure. I guess I'll use them as back-up for emergencies.

Good advice on trying to regain control on the descent. As I recall, I was just coming straight down very slowly - no other movement. But when is started to go nuts, I did try and climb as fast as I could, but no luck. At that point panic took over... Didn't take long to drop the rest of the way down...

Cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl