GoPro Hero 4 and FPV

Reaction score
My set up is currently a FC40 with Tarot gimbal and I borrowed a Hero 3 (original, not plus) from a friend. I was originally hoping to pick up a cheap Hero 3+ when the new version came out, but they seemed to go out of stock pretty quickly. I've now had to give the camera back to my friend recently, so I need to look at my options.

The GoPro Hero 4 black is pretty expensive, but I was wondering what the wifi range and lag are like. I don't need to fly it totally FPV, but I could do with a usable wifi signal to line up shots. Sadly with the Hero 3 was pretty useless for this. Does anyone know how that lag and wifi range compare to the Hero 3 or 3+?

Failing that, perhaps I need to look at a proper FPV setup. Are there any reasonably priced (legal) options for me in the UK, or do I need to change the transmitter and receiver to 2.4GHz and buy some 5.8Ghz FPV kit?

I'm concerned that this is fast becoming a very expensive hobby, and am starting to wonder whether to stop now before it dents my wallet any more.

Hi
You do NOT want GoPro hero 4 for WIFI FPV . the range isnt more than 10meters.
Go for propper FPV instead, Just remember that your FC40 uses 5.8ghz for Remote control , so your FPV must be 2.4 or lower,
I dont know the law in the UK , but if here in Denmark 2.4ghz 10mw video is legal and 5.8ghz 25mw video is legal.

I have a friend that uses a digital Wireless rearview camera for a car , as FPV its ok as long its not more than 200meters away..

me i use the 2.4ghz 10mw FPV and i get the same meters as he does, though i do use the standard antennas witch suc... , in the new year i will buy some other biderectional antennas.

Happy New Year from S UK, I suffer the same problem with my Hero 3 Silver connection to iPad mini. Video tends to drop at 200ft or so you have no idea of the video content being recorded. I thought of a WiFi extender solution but this adds to the kit you lug around so also looking for a solution and as you say not to break the bank

Same boat here. I use the FC40 camera on the front for FPV but, as you say, no idea what is actually being filmed.

I was considering adding a Boscam to the video out on the GoPro (3 white) and doing away with the FC40.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl