go pro picture resolution

Reaction score
I realize this is a video forum, but I have a question about still pctures and this forum is the closest match. I have my GoPro
Hero Black set to the highest resolution (12 Megapixels) and am using it in my Phantom for individual pictures. The camera is set to shoot a picture every 1 second. I am using a Scandisk Ultra XC1 grade 10 card. The problem I am having is that the pictures are being recorded at no more than 4 megapixels. Does anyone have any ideas on how increase the sze of the recording.I was thinking of increasing the time between picture shots. I would appreciate all comments

the 12mp is the size of the sensor, the images will always be compressed depending on how much detail is in them, down to the sort of size you are seeing.

Thank you camelman. I guess the basis of my question comes down to detail. I assumed that if the images recorded
at a higher amount of megs, I would be able to obtain greater enlargements before pixilation occurred ?

GoPro Photo Sizes

WHITE Edition

5MP: 2592x1944 pixels

SILVER Edition

11MP Wide: 3840x2880 pixels
8MP Medium: 3200x2400 pixels
5MP Wide: 2592x1944 pixels
5MP Medium: 2592x1944 pixels

BLACK Edition

12MP Wide: 4000x3000 pixels
7MP Wide: 3000x2250 pixels
7MP Medium: 3000x2250 pixels
5MP Medium: 2560x1920 pixels

I think your confused by megapixels and megabytes as a megapixel figure is simply the number of pixels. If you shoot at 12mpx setting this is 4000x3000 pixel resolution which equals 12,000,000 pixels or 12mpx. There is no gopro that shoots at only 4mpx but in a compressed jpeg format there is no direct relationship between pixel count and file size.

The gopro is not the greatest still camera and its jpeg files are going to vary in size depending on the amount of detail in the image. The more detail and better light its shot in the higher the file size will be but the actual resolution should still be whatever you set it to in camera. File sizes will be larger with more resolution but compression will reduce quality and you have no option for raw images or higher quality compression with the camera.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl