Go app reports restricted area but Airmap and B4UFLY do not

Reaction score
I had pre-checked the area I wanted to fly and when I tried to take off the Go app reported this was a restricted area. I was not in an area where I could re-check Airmap etc do to no internet or phone service so I packed up and went back to the hotel. When I checked again back at the hotel the area and for miles around it is was perfectly OK to fly. The location was

38 56' 19.27" N, 110 00' 29.29" W

So, this area is east by more than 10 miles of a small airport and north by a couple miles of a Restricted Special Use Airspace (R6414). Again, I checked the area with Airmap and B4UFLY and neither had a problem with my location. My intent was to video the arrival of the Amtrak Zephyr just before sunset with the mesa formations to the north as a background -- as it turns out the weather went south before the train arrived so I missed out anyway.

Anyone else have this happen and what can I do about it?

Brian

I had pre-checked the area I wanted to fly and when I tried to take off the Go app reported this was a restricted area. I was not in an area where I could re-check Airmap etc do to no internet or phone service so I packed up and went back to the hotel. When I checked again back at the hotel the area and for miles around it is was perfectly OK to fly. The location was

38 56' 19.27" N, 110 00' 29.29" W

So, this area is east by more than 10 miles of a small airport and north by a couple miles of a Restricted Special Use Airspace (R6414). Again, I checked the area with Airmap and B4UFLY and neither had a problem with my location. My intent was to video the arrival of the Amtrak Zephyr just before sunset with the mesa formations to the north as a background -- as it turns out the weather went south before the train arrived so I missed out anyway.

Anyone else have this happen and what can I do about it?

Brian
Was it telling you it was a restricted area, or was the wording that it was an "Authorization Required" area? That is another bug I ran into a couple weeks ago.

Was it telling you it was a restricted area, or was the wording that it was an "Authorization Required" area? That is another bug I ran into a couple weeks ago.

If I remember correctly the wording involved "restricted" and asked if I had permission or something like that. I did not write down the message so I'm going from memory but I think it mentioned restricted. There is restricted airspace a couple mile southwest of my location but I was at least 2 miles and probably closer to 3 miles away from the boundary of the restricted airspace.

Brian

I would assume it is the restricted air space... AirMap.io

Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 11.06.03 PM✨.png

Reactions: DronePilotOne
Brian I just went and looked up the Rant..er..post I made a couple weeks ago. What I was getting was a message that I was in an "Authorization Zone" and needed to log in to DJI to get permission blah blah blah...etc.
Long story, it was the GEO fencing in DJI Go which is buggy. You can turn it off in DJI Go.

Yes, to all the above--I have seen it, and gotten the "require permission". I live outside Class D airspace, and in the "green enhanced warning zone" -- get this [nearly] all the time. There is also a green warning zone (not enhanced), says no unlock required. Hard to figure it all out. When you zoom out over my N.Virginia area on the DJI map, the entire area is covered in overlapping "green zones". Only a couple of them make any real sense.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it thought I was within the restricted airspace R6414 but as you can see from the map the no part of R6414 extends north of I-70 and I was north and east of that on old US50 by 2-3 miles. Not sure why the Go app would inflate the size of R6414.

Brian

It is only a matter of time before somebody hacks these drones anyway. With rooted phones and Windows activation cracks easy peasy all the while big rich Microsoft and Verizon and others fighting it tooth and claw. Hackers always win.

You know what this might be ... perhaps DJI went cheap on the GEO fencing and use the furthest extent NSEW and set that as the four corners of the box. So, in my case, the north most point is north of my location and the east most point is east of my location so DJI puts me inside the box.

Brian

I think the DJI system is quite approximate. I.e. it always seems to be a circular area, i.e. a single point with a set radius. Hence if the actual restricted area is a square or similar, there will be significant differences with what the DJI system says.

Same here...
I was attempting to fly in an area that Airmap showed as a no flight restrictions area and DJI made me check off an I am authorized to fly here box before I could. Someone said that some of these annoying dialogs could be shut off in DJI Go. Could you walk me through it? Thanks!
zeldon050

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Same here...
I was attempting to fly in an area that Airmap showed as a no flight restrictions area and DJI made me check off an I am authorized to fly here box before I could. Someone said that some of these annoying dialogs could be shut off in DJI Go. Could you walk me through it? Thanks!
zeldon050

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
OK I am using an older version of DJI Go but it should be similar.
1 In the main Aircraft screen showing your camera's view in the very upper right hand corner is the traditional 'Hamburger'. Three small horiz lines. press
2. This brings up "General Settings" You will have Units of Measurement
below that Live Youtube streaming...scroll the screen up to reveal other items lower down
3. Waaay at the very bottom is GEO System..ON/OFF

Viola !

DJI had an outdared 2 month old temp nfz active in my local area since January. I had to email them every other day about it to finally get them to remove it. Here's the email address you use for such an issue.

[email protected]

B4UFly. Way off.
Said I was inside the 5 mile flight circle.
Called tower gave them my location and was informed I was 4.5 miles outside the flight zone.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan