Gimbals and smooth video questions

Reaction score
I have a P1 Phantom with a Walkera G2D gimbal. I have issues at times with getting video with no jitters in it. Now winds aloft will make a difference. Mainly , it's the gusts. I know my Walkera is a cheap gimbal. It does better on calm days as opposed to gusty days. Here's my question. Is the P2 and P3 birds that much more stable in gusty air? Let's say they are but flying in gusty air can have an effect on multimillion dollar aircraft. Now, is it because my gimbal is only 2D? I see videos of Phantom 2 Visions and P3s and wonder how the video can be so stable flying in unstable air. I think it's amazing at some video that is so stable. I really don't care so much about long distance flying, way points, etc. But I would like to have better video. My videos are just for me so I'm just wondering if I have to step up to a more expensive quad just to get decent video. Mine is ok but but not as good as I would like it. So, what is the real difference between a P1 with a 2D gimbal and a P3 video?

I have a P1 with Aeroxcraft 2 axis gimbal and never could get really good smooth footage. When I changed to the DYS smart 3 axis gimbal the results were better but still not as good as other flyers. When I upgraded to a P2 with a Zenmuse 3 axis gimbal the results are so much better. I still need an ND filter on bright/sunny days to combat jello- but the overall results are a World apart in quality! So I believe that getting a zenmuse gimbal is the best option. But of course with a P1 you also need to fit the upgrade motherboard. And I found it best to just use a 3rd party gimbal which needed less soldering. So for you it might need upgrading the P1 and fitting a zenmuse gimbal. Or getting a P3 at the current lower prices. I just feel that 3rd party gimbals never quite match zenmuse or P3/P4 gimbals- even with endless tweaking!

I can't comment from an exerience standpoint with previous models of any other drone/camera platform. But I am so extremely pleased with what this Phantom 3 Pro' can and does produce. Again, not an avid wind pilot, as I much prefer a calmer milder day or evening to fly. But I have tempted fate a few times, with flying in extremely windy conditions, I have actually seen my Phantom practically stall in mid flight, out at the RC heli' field with a head wind directly face on. But it always seemed to power through and complete the mission. Perhaps flying directly against the wind is a mistake, unless it's mild, and you plan on utilizing it to help bring you back to a home point easier and a little faster. I would also tend to believe, flying directly into a gusting wind, must be harder on the battery and them brushless electric motors, & as well and perhaps more importantly the gimbal motors themselves. Wouldn't mind some clarification on that thought, if any one has an opinion or idea, love to hear it.

RedHotPoker

I've a G2D gimbal and a P1 as well. stabilizing the yaw axis makes a huge difference so it can't compare to the stability of my P3's gimbal. but even the best gimbal isn't fast enough to smooth out every disturbance on a breezy day.

I've a G2D gimbal and a P1 as well. stabilizing the yaw axis makes a huge difference so it can't compare to the stability of my P3's gimbal. but even the best gimbal isn't fast enough to smooth out every disturbance on a breezy day.
How would I stabilize the yaw axis on a G2D..or do you mean it would need to be a 3 axis gimbal

im not saying there's a way to add yaw axis stabilizing on the 2D, I'm just throwing out a comparison on the effectiveness of 2 vs 3 axis stabilization in general. you also have to keep in mind that the P3's gimbal is exclusively calibrated for the weight and balance of the built in camera whereas the G2D is meant to stabilize a few different "hero 3-sized" cameras. it has to cope with more variables.

im not saying there's a way to add yaw axis stabilizing on the 2D, I'm just throwing out a comparison on the effectiveness of 2 vs 3 axis stabilization in general. you also have to keep in mind that the P3's gimbal is exclusively calibrated for the weight and balance of the built in camera whereas the G2D is meant to stabilize a few different "hero 3-sized" cameras. it has to cope with more variables.
I do have my camera pretty well balanced in the gimbal. The problem is quick jitter at times. It's not the Phanton as it could not move that fast. I also doubt a 3D gimbal could correct that fast of a jitter. Maybe it being made of plastic and flexing a bit is the problem. It's worse on windy gusty days which I normally don't fly in. Even calm air I can get this at times. My props are balanced. It seems like it might be related to going through certain rpm ranges. I also notice it more on descents .I have played with the rubber mounts every way I can. From soft to firmer by stuffing foam inside them. I have also wondered if it's the air around the gimbal doing this. I have thought of trying a shield around the entire gimbal to see if that helps.

My P3P stability is gusty winds boggles my mind. Don't forget that the wind 100' up, might be WAY less gusty than on the ground. It probably will be stonger up there, but a lot of turbulence is caused by trees, house, and other obstructions, that cause turbulence and gusts.

Even in the worst of it though, the P3P is incredible. Yes, if the winds are bowling and gusty, you'll use power WAY faster. Make SURE you go out against and come back with it. Or, just be really close to what you're talking a picture of. LOL

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl