Gimbal smash

Reaction score
Well it finally happened, a vertical crash. The phantom still flies as normal except that the gimbal is nonresponsive, and you can see from the attached photo why. The azimuth movement seems to be locked and there is a dent in the case. The green indicator light does not come on and the software says that there is no phantom connection.
I have a horrible feeling what this means, but I just thought I'd post it to see what people think I ought to do.

Attachments

• Phantom Gimbal.jpg
    Phantom Gimbal.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 262
Man
Well it finally happened, a vertical crash. The phantom still flies as normal except that the gimbal is nonresponsive, and you can see from the attached photo why. The azimuth movement seems to be locked and there is a dent in the case. The green indicator light does not come on and the software says that there is no phantom connection.
I have a horrible feeling what this means, but I just thought I'd post it to see what people think I ought to do.
if your anywhere near mechanically inclined you could take her apart and verify what we know probably happened the board is smashed.. or at least part of it. But idk know much about the internals either. Maybe but a new board for a for a fraction of the price of a new drone and a new gimbal cover shield thing and maybe see what happens. Find a cheapo on ebay. But ive heard people saybthe visions are worth some money. Dont know if thats true so parts may be expensive. I know its nothing similar but ive to actually got the courage to try replacing my yaw arm on my p3ps camera today kit came in the mail all new aluminum parts for 20 bucks. Doing the shell in a few days when that comes. Hopefully all goes well. I watched alot of videos on YouTube ?‍♂️ famous quote.. lol. May even be able to find the whole gimbal and camera set up for sale somewhere. Anywho. Good luck let us know what you find.

Well, I am a mechanical engineer, so I'll give it a try. I have seen parts on eBay, and videos on YouTube, but it looked pretty intimidating, all kinds of bits and delicate cables.so I'll report back in a day or two!
Thanks for being interested.
GG

Well, I am a mechanical engineer, so I'll give it a try. I have seen parts on eBay, and videos on YouTube, but it looked pretty intimidating, all kinds of bits and delicate cables.so I'll report back in a day or two!
Thanks for being interested.
GG
Sounds like youll be alright then. Props on the degree. Man i was sketched out at first too. But like i said i found a cheap kit for 20 bucks. If nothing else you might spend a little more getting a ribbon kit. But just put on some classical music.. lol helps with the stress and anxiety. Or some metal.. whatever helps. But im literally sitting down tondonmy camera arm now. I called a repair shop. They wanted like 400 to fix my bent yaw arm and replace my shell. I told them they are insane.. its a p3p not a inspire jeez. So i figured with a bit of patience and really light fingers i can hopefully pull it off and so can you. Sorry for my long replies. I ramble. Just really look for the parts you will prob find some cheap if ya look hard enough that will make it worthwhile.

Reactions: dronesky
Sounds like youll be alright then. Props on the degree. Man i was sketched out at first too. But like i said i found a cheap kit for 20 bucks. If nothing else you might spend a little more getting a ribbon kit. But just put on some classical music.. lol helps with the stress and anxiety. Or some metal.. whatever helps. But im literally sitting down tondonmy camera arm now. I called a repair shop. They wanted like 400 to fix my bent yaw arm and replace my shell. I told them they are insane.. its a p3p not a inspire jeez. So i figured with a bit of patience and really light fingers i can hopefully pull it off and so can you. Sorry for my long replies. I ramble. Just really look for the parts you will prob find some cheap if ya look hard enough that will make it worthwhile.

Well, I got looking at it and the yaw arm is bent right over and jammed, the ribbon cable is dented, and I haven't even got to the board cover. I have not found a yaw arm on eBay, but will keep looking. If I can't fix it, my options appear to be to buy a complete camera assembly, or a used drone, or, sell the sucker and buy up! Stay tuned.
GG

All I could find under $100.00

Reactions: PhoenixOne
Dont look like too bad a deal there.. amd it says they test the cameras fully so that's good news. Man what a day. I. Replace my yaw arm today to only have more issues. Apparently some other parts are still a little bent are out of whack but things did not want to lineup with the new arm and I think it's just cheap made parts because they were just barely off and I had to do some machining with a file and file some of the parts down to get it to fit in move and roll like it should then I got it back together and it would not lean left and right so I had to take it all apart again and again and do some more filing and figure out what was going on I think there was too much pressure on it and it was binding the motor up. I also read that somebody said on here try turning the motor around So I did that and all in all after a long day of a lot of stress and taking a long long break I just finished it and everything works good and a records video and takes pictures and it was well worth doing it myself because it only cost me 20 bucks

Reactions: dronesky
Dont look like too bad a deal there.. amd it says they test the cameras fully so that's good news. Man what a day. I. Replace my yaw arm today to only have more issues. Apparently some other parts are still a little bent are out of whack but things did not want to lineup with the new arm and I think it's just cheap made parts because they were just barely off and I had to do some machining with a file and file some of the parts down to get it to fit in move and roll like it should then I got it back together and it would not lean left and right so I had to take it all apart again and again and do some more filing and figure out what was going on I think there was too much pressure on it and it was binding the motor up. I also read that somebody said on here try turning the motor around So I did that and all in all after a long day of a lot of stress and taking a long long break I just finished it and everything works good and a records video and takes pictures and it was well worth doing it myself because it only cost me 20 bucks
Great news ?

Great news ?
It really is. I waa really stressing all day. I love this bird. I cant afford to do much to it or buy another one it but i try to take care of it. The bent arm and cracked shell was from the previous owner as i have never wrecked her and dont plan on it. But thanks for the good vibes

All I could find under $100.00
Man ive been looking for an arm too but the prices.. i seen guys 3d print the yaw arm and thought it was silly but then i seen the 100 dollar price tag for one yaw arm forna vision 2 plus. Im not disrespecting your craft at all but why in the world are they that expensive ?

Man ive been looking for an arm too but the prices.. i seen guys 3d print the yaw arm and thought it was silly but then i seen the 100 dollar price tag for one yaw arm forna vision 2 plus. Im not disrespecting your craft at all but why in the world are they that expensive ?
Some are way overpriced just have to shop around for best deal & since DJI is not making them anymore the spare parts are getting more scarce

Some are way overpriced just have to shop around for best deal & since DJI is not making them anymore the spare parts are getting more scarce
Yeah i mean it wasnt just ebay. I expect that on ebay but this was a shop. Just crazy..Hopefully my p3p will be a classic someday.

Dronesky- thanks for that. I saw that second listing, and would buy it but I'm worried that it might still be defective. 'm going to check with the seller - "used" doesn't say much

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72