Gimbal idea / question

Reaction score
So all these gimbals popping up and none a a available got me thinking. DJI released a new 3 axis that plugs in. Why not use that? Cut the gopro mount away, drill a hole in the vision camera case and bolt it on. No covering of the wi-fi antennas and no need to wait on a $600 mount.

myvrodrocks said:
So all these gimbals popping up and none a a available got me thinking. DJI released a new 3 axis that plugs in. Why not use that? Cut the gopro mount away, drill a hole in the vision camera case and bolt it on. No covering of the wi-fi antennas and no need to wait on a $600 mount.
I just received this reply back from DJI :)

Attachments

• 2014-03-25 08_36_32-Inbox.jpg
    2014-03-25 08_36_32-Inbox.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 418
The zenmuse gimbals are factory balanced for the camera unit they are designed to work with. Stick something different on them and they won't be happy and may fail.

Add to that the fact that the Vision camera cable is rather stiff and designed for a single axis gimbal - I think it would drag against the zenmuse and cause jitter at best.

The tilt control is dealt with internally on a P2Z, whereas the Vision uses that external servo line to send tilt instructions via the app - not sure how you'd tie that up.

These are some of the reasons I don't think any future Vision gimbal will be retro-fittable - my guess is that it will come as part of this rumoured Vision 3 or Vision+ - hopefully with a better quality camera as part of the deal...

It's officially out dji announced yesterday. It actually has an external controller per dji. I honestly don't see why this wouldn't work even if you duct taped the vision camera. (As long as you don't use too much tape)

I think that if a brushless motor that is 1/4" in diameter can spin my blade 130x head at 3000 rpm then a 1" brushless motor can handle the 20oz weight difference of an inbalanced camera.

myvrodrocks said:
I think that if a brushless motor that is 1/4" in diameter can spin my blade 130x head at 3000 rpm then a 1" brushless motor can handle the 20oz weight difference of an inbalanced camera.

But a brushless gimbal motor is different to a brushless flight motor. I'm banging my head firmly against the ceiling of my technical pay grade, but as far as I understand it gimbal motors are internally wound in a completely different way to flight motors to get the smooth slow movement and required torque for the application we're talking about here.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl