General question about the controller.

Reaction score
I am a fixed wing aircraft pilot. To me, pushing forward on the stick will make the aircraft go down, and pulling back on the stick with make the aircraft go up. The P3S left control stick is opposite, and goes against my natural instincts. I know you can customize the controls. But has anyone customized theirs to be more like an airplane? If so, how do I do it? I know there is a custom menu in the app, but I don't want to fool around with it until I know for sure.

GD

In the remote control settings/stick mode, you can customize the sticks the way you want.
That said, I wouldn't change them. The norm for drones, up for up and down for down will soon become second nature for you.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
This has come up before. I suspect it's possible that real manned helicopters have controls more like our RC (I really have no idea, I'm guessing). That's because they fly completely differently than fixed wing crafts. Down stick is elevator down. It's not forward down as it would be in a plane.

Anyway, I agree with BV - it would probably be best to get used to the way the RC was designed to work.

I am a fixed wing aircraft pilot. To me, pushing forward on the stick will make the aircraft go down, and pulling back on the stick with make the aircraft go up. The P3S left control stick is opposite, and goes against my natural instincts. I know you can customize the controls. But has anyone customized theirs to be more like an airplane? If so, how do I do it? I know there is a custom menu in the app, but I don't want to fool around with it until I know for sure.

GD

As an ATP, I struggled with the concept too. But like a yoke or a stick, it's still push,pull, left, right. (And don't even think about rudder, that will be nothing like a tail rotor)

I suggest you practice in an open area where you can make mistakes without dire consequences. There are labels available for your R/C if you need visual help too, available all over, but I found mine on eBay. Don't look at them much anymore, but they are there for reference.

Practicing pattern work will help too. Flying square, rectangular or even circling will help develop stick coordination. After a while it will become second nature. Blue skies and calm winds my friend.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl