Garmin GTU 10 or Any Other GPS Locator Added

Reaction score
I've read some posts about that it's a good idea to add something like a Garmin GTU 10 to locate the Phantom if it flys away.

I supposed that that's only good if the Phantom is lost in the woods or something like that. Otherwise, someone finding it will have the Phantom loaded, the GoPro, and the Garmin. And who is to say that once the Phantom is tracked if they keep the Garmin with it in their house/apt. that they will say... "Yes, I found the Phantom" or, "No, I have no idea what you're talking about." Then what does one do... call the police and tell them that you know that the Phantom is in that person's house?

Although that's a possible scenario, I would like to think that with the Garmin, one can locate it faster when it's flown away and recovered in a short period of time. So, I'm going to hedge on the latter.
garmin_gtu_10.jpg

Yes, if it gets away you know where it is at right away. I have one on my dog also. Best investment for $99. Now that was refurbished and 1 year warranty free service. I have temp legs until I extend them for the gimbal
null_zpse9bf7cf6.jpg
null_zps9166667f.jpg

I am a big fan of the GTU10 personally. Be careful about cell coverage. The GTU10 works via GPS but its communication to the user whether it be the app or website is done via Cell (GPS doesn't transmit). Likewise if GPS can't be seen but cell can, it uses triangulation to get you close enough.

If you live in the middle of nowhere it may not be a guarenteed that you will have full use.

Personally I have never had an issue with it and it seems to only need a very weak cell signal to transmit. GPS is strong on it and can penetrate mose things. I am just finishing my mount which hooks it to the legs.... theory being it maximises the chance of a toppled over phantom having clear line of site to the sky. It is also cause the underbelly gets kinda crowded! Not perfect yet but the prototype is working well for me.

Nice work Dewey. My concern with the GPS and the mount is weight. I've already got the gimbal/camera/headlight/skid extension/battery door strap/bigger battery. How much more weight can I handle without a flight time of two minutes of ugly performance? And that's without FPV and the extra battery/tx for it, or iOSD. I'm thinking F450 for the next replacement.

Roadkilt said:
Nice work Dewey. My concern with the GPS and the mount is weight. I've already got the gimbal/camera/headlight/skid extension/battery door strap/bigger battery. How much more weight can I handle without a flight time of two minutes of ugly performance? And that's without FPV and the extra battery/tx for it, or iOSD. I'm thinking F450 for the next replacement.

Yeah I can understand the weight worry. 50g for the Garmin is a bit steep. The pototype of that mount was 16g but the final version should be about 10g.
I am getting 12 mins on a dual batt setup weighing 1330g - That is using too big *** Turnigy Nanotech 2250's. With a single batt it is about 8 mins currently. That is 226g lighter (207g for the batt, 19g for the paralel cable) which is similar to a brushless gimbal. That doesn't compensate for gimbal power draw of course.

Garmin is no longer making the GTU 10, so the $99 price is long gone. Many places are listing whatever is remaining for $180+ with the cheapest I've seen after a search something like $165.

I do photography and should have snagged one a while back, if even just for my camera bag.

mblitch said:
Garmin is no longer making the GTU 10, so the $99 price is long gone. Many places are listing whatever is remaining for $180+ with the cheapest I've seen after a search something like $165.

I do photography and should have snagged one a while back, if even just for my camera bag.
Garmin still sells the GTU10. Garmin does not have the refurbished but will in time.

Skylane765 said:
mblitch said:

Garmin still sells the GTU10. Garmin does not have the refurbished but will in time.

I just received an email from Garmin, they are no longer making this unit. You can not buy from Garmin.

You could get the Garmin dog tracker. I recommend staying away from shock dispensing training model. :lol:

There are a lot of these trackers on the market, they just are not made by Garmin. Just do a search and let us know what you find.

rampage42 said:
I just received an email from Garmin, they are no longer making this unit. You can not buy from Garmin.

Did you get that after trying to order of there site? Still available to buy on the Garmin site under UK.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/outdoor ... 67686.html

No hidden page or anything I just went to shop, products, tracker/locators. Its not to say of course that if you actually make the purchase they won't just say it is out of stock/discontinued.

Looks like a few still available at Maplin too if you are UK based: http://www.maplin.co.uk/garmin-gtu-10-g ... ker-531361

Strange for a company like Garmin to pull a product without having a new alternative.

Hard to find a GTU 10 here in usa.

I need to find something ASAP as it took me 5 hours walking thru 8 foot corn fields today to find my phantom

I found a Refurbished Garmin GTU 10 after lots of searching online. I am amazed how small it is. Testing it and it seems to work really well.

Fdnyfish said:
I found a Refurbished Garmin GTU 10 after lots of searching online. I am amazed how small it is. Testing it and it seems to work really well.

Good man! Glad you managed to find one. Long may it and its support last via Garmin I say! Havn't managed to finalise my holder just yet for public use but soon (been a busy week!).

I use the www.pettracker.com

I tape it to the top of the phantom for now... I ordered some new clips and will get it a more permanently attached. (also use it on my for tracking my dog)

Works great and cheap.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl