Friend of a Friend Fined $1800 no registration on drone..i have questions

From the FAA page that singer referenced:

"Before you fly outside you must:

• Register your UAS if it weighs more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds
  • Label your UAS with your registration number
  • Read and understand all safety guidelines"

The second bullet seems pretty plan english to me.

Curious, what city, state and airport were the aviation police from?

OR....
  1. How do I mark my unmanned aircraft with my unique registration number?
    If you complete registration using the web-based registration process and satisfy the registration requirements, you may use a permanent marker, label, or engraving, as long as the number remains affixed to the aircraft during routine handling and all operating conditions and is readily accessible and legible upon close visual inspection. The number may also be enclosed in a compartment that is readily accessible, such as a battery compartment.

Requirements for marking unmanned aircraft registered in accordance with the legacy registration system can be found in 14 CFR Part 45, subpart C. Guidance material on aircraft marking requirements in Part 45 can be found in Advisory Circular No. 45-2E Identification and Registration Marking.

My friend got reported by a citizen who lives on the water at Ponce Inlet, Fla. for flying in the vicinity of him home stating it was illegal due to a small ATC airport in the vicinity. The police approached my friend demanding he return his drone and that he was illegally flying it. After their assertion of his guilt he produced his FAA license, his commercial pilots license and where he had contacted the ATC to advise them of his flight. Get use to people who are not drone fans challenging you by flying adhering to FAA regs...there out there!

Yep, but that is a perfect example of how to respond in that situation. To be 100% legal. But as always, there are those who choose not to fly legally. Hopefully the publics' view of drones and their pilots will change to a more positive view with instances like this. Bravo to your friend for doing it right. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Kenton and spryte
But keep in mind, cops–state, county or city–can't arrest or cite for an FAA offense.

SB
This is absolutely untrue.

LEOs can, and do, enforce all laws at every government level. It is not their job, per se, to investigate and take enforcement actions for government entities they are not directly in the command chain of, but a Law Enforcement Officer is authorized to arrest or cite someone for any unlawful behavior if the circumstances warrant.

A US Marshall doesn't stand by and witness battery occurring because it's a state crime, not federal. They will arrest the person with their full authorized use of force, and then turn them over to local cops for processing.

Some neighbor turned him in. The aviation police from the airport came to his house and wanted to throw him in jail. This is where it gets foggy. My friend said he got the fine because he didn't have registration on drone. But I think it's because he wasn't registered period. Because the only way i found out about taping the number to your drone was from this site. I could not find it any where on the faa site that you have to tape the number to your drone.

Here are my questions. Do you have to put the faa number on your drone?
If yes, why isn't on their website instucting people to do it?

I don't believe that this happened. It is just an Urban Legend. You guys are getting yourselves worked up over fake news.

But, yes, you need to register (for EITHER hobby or commercial flying), and yes, you need to mark your UAV as others have indicated. You have to put license plates on your car and motorcycle, numbers on your boat, and even tags on your dogs.

You don't have to use tape, however; you can use a marking pen and put the number in the battery compartment.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 7.42.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 7.42.10 AM.png
    144.3 KB · Views: 222
The airport does not have "police". The FAA is a regulating agency, not a police agency. The FAA cannot "arrest" anyone. Local law enforcement can arrest for "reckless endangerment", privacy violation or trespassing. Local law enforcement can collect information such as registration and identification and provide it to the Department of Transportation (FAA) for investigation with regard to and limited to fines and/or license suspension.

Regulatory agencies operate under restrictions and at the direction of legislation. That's basic Civics 101, which unfortunately has not been taught in schools for a long time.

Registration applies to all "drones" between .55 and 55 pounds, commercial or hobby. (Where have some of you been for the last few years?) If you think the $5 ("greedy government") registration fee covers the cost of this process you are clearly from another planet.

The story that initiated this thread amounts to propaganda at best. I've seen Swiss cheese with fewer holes than that premise. To what end and purpose I can only guess. I smell troll.

Last edited:
Unless a jurisdiction passed its own law / ordinance there is no way to fine an operator for registration violation. That falls under the authority of the FAA. I doubt his charges are valid and / or enforceable. He needs an attorney to defend him. Something about this story doesn't smell right!

Reactions: The Drone Professor

LEOs can, and do, enforce all laws at every government level. It is not their job, per se, to investigate and take enforcement actions for government entities they are not directly in the command chain of, but a Law Enforcement Officer is authorized to arrest or cite someone for any unlawful behavior if the circumstances warrant.

A US Marshall doesn't stand by and witness battery occurring because it's a state crime, not federal. They will arrest the person with their full authorized use of force, and then turn them over to local cops for processing.

There is a 'guidance' document for LEOs re FAA drone guidelines.
http://gtra.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/LEOGuidanceCard.pdf

Since these are civil violations it's unlikely LLEO will arrest for no registration, etc. unless the operator is violating local jurisdictional laws or otherwise escalates the situation due to lack of cooperation or something similar.

Some neighbor turned him in. The aviation police from the airport came to his house and wanted to throw him in jail. This is where it gets foggy. My friend said he got the fine because he didn't have registration on drone. But I think it's because he wasn't registered period. Because the only way i found out about taping the number to your drone was from this site. I could not find it any where on the faa site that you have to tape the number to your drone.

Here are my questions. Do you have to put the faa number on your drone?
If yes, why isn't on their website instucting people to do it?

When you register your drone, the FAA website clearly states that you must have your registration number written on your drone. It further says that you can write it inside the battery compartment, so it does not have to be visible at all times, but must be on the drone somewhere.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
There is a 'guidance' document for LEOs re FAA drone guidelines.
http://gtra.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/LEOGuidanceCard.pdf

Since these are civil violations it's unlikely LLEO will arrest for no registration, etc. unless the operator is violating local jurisdictional laws or otherwise escalates the situation due to lack of cooperation or something similar.
I agree with everything you say. My dispute was over the authority that LEOs actually have.

While it is of course true that it is "unlikely", should a local cop want to cite someone for an FAA violation, technically they can. It will then be sorted out in the courtroom.

The guide seems to contradict you.

"5. Take action based on local Laws, Ordinances, Directives"

The airport does not have "police". The FAA is a regulating agency, not a police agency. The FAA cannot "arrest" anyone. Local law enforcement can arrest for "reckless endangerment", privacy violation or trespassing. Local law enforcement can collect information such as registration and identification and provide it to the Department of Transportation (FAA) for investigation with regard to and limited to fines and/or license suspension.

Regulatory agencies operate under restrictions and at the direction of legislation. That's basic Civics 101, which unfortunately has not been taught in schools for a long time.

Registration applies to all "drones" between .55 and 55 pounds, commercial or hobby. (Where have some of you been for the last few years?) If you think the $5 ("greedy government") registration fee covers the cost of this process you are clearly from another planet.

The story that initiated this thread amounts to propaganda at best. I've seen Swiss cheese with fewer holes than that premise. To what end and purpose I can only guess. I smell troll.

Several airports have police.

Reactions: Falcon900
The guide seems to contradict you.

"5. Take action based on local Laws, Ordinances, Directives"
No it doesn't.

If so, city cops would not have the authority to enforce state laws, for instance.

Or immigration laws (federal).

All LEOs have the authority to enforce any law. Otherwise, law-enforcement would be unworkable.

In practice, LEOs pretty much stick to their jurisdictions, but that's not the point: They are not without authority to arrest and cite you for any law on the books, at any government level. Again, as I said, it will then be sorted out in court.

For the record, I have been cited by a local Santa Cruz Sheriff Deputy for violating EPA regs about disposing motor oil, a Federal Law. I lost and had to pay a $275 fine.

Cop was a major A-hole.

"Cops" can respond to drone "complaints" but any enforcement action is limited to specific laws within their specific (local or state) jurisdiction (eg. flying a drone to deliver contraband into a prison where the drone is incidental to the crime). State "registration" (eg., North Carolina) comes into the area of federal preemption, which is the invalidation of a U.S. state law where Federal law prevails. North Carolina may arrest someone for not having a state drone registration but it can't hold up in court.

8 pages!
Does anyone else think the rules regarding UAV's should be written with a little more clarlty.
The fact that they can be interpreted so many ways, seems to be up to the reader to decide the meaning.

Several airports have police.
Yes, but they are not "FAA police" and "airport police" do not have jurisdiction for drone registration. In the description from the initial post it was implied that "airport police" were sent to "arrest" for failure to have registration. The "neighbor" would not know if the operator and drone were carrying a registration. "Airport police" cannot "fine $1800".

Like I said: Swiss cheese and troll propaganda.

I'm retired law enforcement and disagree. There isn't a city cop in the U.S. that has the authority to cite a person into federal court.

A federal agent making a physical arrest over a violation of state law that occurs in their presence is beyond the scope of this thread.

SB

Registration of a drone in Romania, may it be 50 grams or 10 kilos, is around 100$. And you also have to go in to the capital city and they will put a chip on your drone as well as a registration number... But the story doesn't end here. Even with a registered drone, you are still not allowed to go out and freely fly. You have to call them or send them a request on email and tell them when you want to fly, where you want to fly, how high you plan to fly and for how long you plan to fly. If you do not ask for permission, you are illegally flying the drone even with a registration and you can be fined if caught. It really sucks to be honest, especially if you have malicious neighbors like I do. I envy you guys for your incredibly generous drone legislations.

If you do not ask for permission, you are illegally flying the drone even with a registration and you can be fined if caught. It really sucks to be honest, especially if you have malicious neighbors like I do. I envy you guys for your incredibly generous drone legislations.

Wow that is very strict and hardly worth the effort to fly your drone. Are they able to track you then with that "chip" on board the drone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka