Friend of a Friend Fined $1800 no registration on drone..i have questions

Having had an extensive portion of my life spent in courthouses and dealing with crime, it would be my best guess that the entire story is bull do do....

22 years of the same and it' a no brainer. This is bull.

Anybody got a number for the Troll Police?

SB

its all good! this thread prompted me to finish my least favorite thing, paperwork, and get registered... done in under five, dl'd a b4u fly app, and hid a copy of the faa paperwork in the pelican as well. now i can legally launch the bird and patrol my property for rogue aviation police activity. many thanks!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: loonie01 and Budman
More skechy
Well after reading my way through this story I have come to some conclusions.
That's a real big fine but seems like it could of so easily of been avoided.
Like any new sport, knowledge is the key. Before I started flying here in the UK I did as much research as I could so I knew the relevant laws. Over here we don't have to be registered for your hobby but do have to be for commercial work and yes there are weight classifications.
Just how exactly did the neighbour's know if he and the drone registered or not? I would of thought the police could not of entered his house with out a warrant. If you haven't before registered a drone then how would they know you hade one. Sounds like, with neighbour's like that who needs enemies.
I am only guessing but if you knew your current countries laws on drones then surely you would of registered it and your self before the neighbour's had seen the drone.
If you had only just received the drone and you then got reported then surely you could use that as evidence and you were just about to register. To be honest, the whole thing sounds a bit too fishy by a long way.

I wish i didn't even post this since I am getting info second handed from my friend. He was flying when the feds showed up. The neighbor I am sure had no idea it didn't have the faa # on the drone. He probably just called and said he was flying it in his backyard and he got pissed and called.(this is speculation on my part) The govt employees I think it might be the Naval base cops not sure again. Still trying to get ahold of the guy to get a a copy of citation.

I disagree with one post that says what cops power is and this is from experience on my gixxer that people here commented on. I have been busted riding a wheelie on the freeway. A cop chose to let me go free even after i as in teh back of the car with cuffs on(wow I almost kissed the ground) He also could have written me a ticket for reckless driving. So cops do have some lattitude.

Second, the only reason I posted this was help some other new flyer that didn't know all these freak'n rules and laws. I mean they could have picked up a phantom 3 at Best Buy and started flying the **** thing and not know about all this stuff. I think the rules should be on the box in red from DJI not everybody goes on message boards.

So, looking at that link, can I use the same registration number for multiple Drones? I'm planning on buying a second drone - will I need a separate registration for it. If I sell a drone or gift one to my son, will the new owner need a new registration?

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

The registration is for YOU, not the bird. The registration is in essence a license to operate. It says that you have read the rules, understand the limits for flying etc. If you buy 20 drones, all of them under 55 lbs (I think), you do not need to register more than once. Think of your registration as a driver's license. Edit: Apparently some users had to provide the Serial Number(s) of their drones. I do not recall this when I did my registration.

Now, there are some 'plusses' to having a sticker attached to your drone:

1. You're complying with the law
2. If your bird gets lost and someone finds it, they can trace you back based on the registration number. Here, I added my phone number and email next to the registration number.
3. Most importantly: If your drone crashes and breaks someone's window or causes a traffic accident, they will be able to find who the culprit is (You). Now, some might see this as a negative but I do see it as a positive: If I'm traceable, it's an incentive for me to fly responsibly.

So, in summary (1-4 are a must):

1. You must register on the FAA site (read the document that came with your drone, or download it from the DJI webpage)
2. Print Your FAA registration number and affix it to your drone (outside, or inside, near the battery)
3. Also include your email and phone number in case you lose the drone
4. Read the manual that came with your drone, and whatever you can download for DJI
5. Put a TXT file on the micro-SD card, that includes your registration ad contact information as well, again, just in case you lose the drone and need to recover those precious memories on the SD card.
6. If you're really 'scared' of losing your drone (especially if it's an expensive one), buy and attach a GPS tracker to it. Very optional, of course.

I hope this is helpful. What else do we need to clarify/discuss/debate?

Last edited:
I wish i didn't even post this since I am getting info second handed from my friend ...

Worry not about whether some believe your story while others do not. This is the internet, and you'll never be able to please anyone. However, I like to focus on what we all hopefully have learned from your story (real or else). If anything at all, I hope many of us got to realize/appreciate the need for registering, and flying/operating responsibly.

Happy Flying / Safe Flights.

The registration is for YOU, not the bird. The registration is in essence a license to operate. It says that you have read the rules, understand the limits for flying etc. If you buy 20 drones, all of them under 55 lbs (I think), you do not need to register more than once. Thin of your registration as a driver's license.

Now, there are some 'plusses' to having a sticker attached to your drone:

1. You're complying with the law
2. If your bird gets lost and someone finds it, they can trace you back based on the registration number. Here, I added my phone number and email next to the registration number.
3. Most importantly: If your drone crashes and breaks someone's window or causes a traffic accident, they will be able to find who the culprit is (You). Now, some might see this as a negative but I do see it as a positive: If I'm traceable, it's an incentive for me to fly responsibly.

So, in summary (1-4 are a must):

1. You must register on the FAA site (read the document that came with your drone, or download it from the DJI webpage)
2. Print Your FAA registration number and affix it to your drone (outside, or inside, near the battery)
3. Also include your email and phone number in case you lose the drone
4. Read the manual that came with your drone, and whatever you can download for DJI
5. Put a TXT file on the micro-SD card, that includes your registration ad contact information as well, again, just in case you lose the drone and need to recover those precious memories on the SD card.
6. If you're really 'scared' of losing your drone (especially if it's an expensive one), buy and attach a GPS tracker to it. Very optional, of course.

I hope this is helpful. What else do we need to clarify/discuss/debate?

I have an FAA registration number specifically assigned to my drone and its serial number:)

Reactions: JB63
I have an FAA registration number specifically assigned to my drone and its serial number:)

Good for You. Maybe the rules have changed, but, when I did the FAA registration, I honestly do not recall if I had to provide the serial number of my drone. Maybe weight categories call for different requirements.

PS. I edited my post accordingly. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
Worry not about whether some believe your story while others do not. This is the internet, and you'll never be able to please anyone. However, I like to focus on what we all hopefully have learned from your story (real or else). If anything at all, I hope many of us got to realize/appreciate the need for registering, and flying/operating responsibly.

Happy Flying / Safe Flights.
thanks man that is all i was trying to do was help/warn others. I haven't even got my mavic yet. I have been flying my temporary fix a Hubson 501s and its a surprising good flying little drone. but I really want my mavic.

thanks man that is all i was trying to do was help/warn others. I haven't even got my mavic yet. I have been flying my temporary fix a Hubson 501s and its a surprising good flying little drone. but I really want my mavic.

Should be an interesting flight if your doing wheel stands up the freeway lol

If so then you registred as a commercial pilot and must register all individual drones separately. Had you registred as a hobbyist, then you are assigned a number and it is good for all aircraft you own and your number must be on each aircraft

I disagree with one post that says what cops power is and this is from experience on my gixxer that people here commented on. I have been busted riding a wheelie on the freeway. A cop chose to let me go free even after i as in teh back of the car with cuffs on(wow I almost kissed the ground) He also could have written me a ticket for reckless driving. So cops do have some lattitude.
Well, I think you misunderstood my post.

I was not saying that LEOs have no discretion -- they certainly do. But that discretion is limited to either arresting or citing you. And they must have probably cause to do so.

They can not decide that you are guilty of an alleged offense, and then decide what the penalty will be. That is the providence of juries and judges.

So, the fact that this friend of a friend claimed he was fined $1,800 in lieu of serving jail time for his offense just doesn't add up. The cops certainly might have used their discretion to cite him (to appear in court) instead of arresting him, which is routine.

Being arrested and taken to be held in custody until arraigned or bailed out certainly feels like punishment, but under the law that is not what it is. It is a guarantee you will appear to answer for criminal charges.

Reactions: Sagebrush
I have 4 drones and they all have the same number. Can't fly them all at once.:rolleyes:
They never even asked what brand I had.

I was just rockin your boat guys:). I have a commercial drone.

Talk about confusing regulations. It seems the FAA does not want to put ALL the necessary information in the many locations where it talks about pilot registration. I did not expect this reply to be so long but I wanted to include pertinent info for those n00bies (like me) to be able to follow along.

OK, I'm back. Over the last few days I've been adamant about my opinion that we (hobbyists) do NOT have to register with the FAA. I woke up this morning and said to myself "Hey it's only $5, so I'll find the website to register."
So I went to this site: Getting Started and looked around and went to this site: Fly for Fun.

What I found interesting is the very first sentence: "You don't need permission from the FAA to fly your UAS (aka drone) for fun or recreation, but you must always fly safely." IMHO "permission" should read certification or license.

As my next step (remember I'm trying to find the site to register as a pilot) I went to: Becoming a Pilot.

And then under Quick Links I found this: IACRA - Federal Aviation Administration. The charging statement reads: "IACRA is the web-based certification/rating application that guides the user through the FAA's airman application process." This site explains and has all sorts of links to where you can get licensed as a pilot. I'd like to point out that these links are all connected to "Unmanned Aircraft Systems" at Fun to Fly.

So moving onward on the IACRA website, there is a big highlighted box: (a direct copy from that page)
Remote Pilot Applicants - Please Read This First!
  • If you don't have an IACRA account, you must Register as an Applicant first before you can create a Remote Pilot application. For help registering, please read the 'Registering as an Applicant in IACRA' section in the New User Guide.
    PLEASE NOTE: You DO NOT need a Remote Pilot certificate if you are only operating your drone for hobby or recreational purposes...
And for those who think Part 107 has anything to do with this, here is the chart in it's entirety:
(I would suggest skipping to the last highlighted Section: Model Aircraft

Operational Limitations • Unmanned aircraft must weigh less than 55 lbs. (25 kg).
• Visual line-of-sight (VLOS) only; the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of the remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS. Alternatively, the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of the visual observer.
• At all times the small unmanned aircraft must remain close enough to the remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS for those people to be capable of seeing the aircraft with vision unaided by any device other than corrective lenses.
• Small unmanned aircraft may not operate over any persons not directly participating in the operation, not under a covered structure, and not inside a covered stationary vehicle.
• Daylight-only operations, or civil twilight (30 minutes before official sunrise to 30 minutes after official sunset, local time) with appropriate anti-collision lighting.
• Must yield right of way to other aircraft.
• May use visual observer (VO) but not required.
• First-person view camera cannot satisfy “see-and-avoid” requirement but can be used as long as requirement is satisfied in other ways.
• Maximum groundspeed of 100 mph (87 knots).
• Maximum altitude of 400 feet above ground level (AGL) or, if higher than 400 feet AGL, remain within 400 feet of a structure.
• Minimum weather visibility of 3 miles from control station.
• Operations in Class B, C, D and E airspace are allowed with the required ATC permission.
• Operations in Class G airspace are allowed without ATC permission.
• No person may act as a remote pilot in command or VO for more than one unmanned aircraft operation at one time.
• No operations from a moving aircraft.
• No operations from a moving vehicle unless the operation is over a sparsely populated area.
• No careless or reckless operations.
• No carriage of hazardous materials.
• Requires preflight inspection by the remote pilot in command.
• A person may not operate a small unmanned aircraft if he or she knows or has reason to know of any physical or mental condition that would interfere with the safe operation of a small UAS.
• Foreign-registered small unmanned aircraft are allowed to operate under part 107 if they satisfy the requirements of part 375.
• External load operations are allowed if the object being carried by the unmanned aircraft is securely attached and does not adversely affect the flight characteristics or controllability of the aircraft.
• Transportation of property for compensation or hire allowed provided thato The aircraft, including its attached systems, payload and cargo weigh less than 55 pounds total;
o The flight is conducted within visual line of sight and not from a moving vehicle or aircraft; and
o The flight occurs wholly within the bounds of a State and does not involve transport between (1) Hawaii and
another place in Hawaii through airspace outside Hawaii; (2) the District of Columbia and another place
in the District of Columbia; or (3) a territory or possession of the United States and another place in the same territory or possession.
• Most of the restrictions discussed above are waivable if the applicant demonstrates that his or her operation can safely be conducted under the terms of a certificate of waiver.
Remote Pilot in Command Certification and Responsibilities
• Establishes a remote pilot in command position.
• A person operating a small UAS must either hold a remote pilot airman certificate with a small UAS rating or be under the direct supervision of a person who does hold a remote pilot certificate (remote pilot in command).
• To qualify for a remote pilot certificate, a person must:
o Demonstrate aeronautical knowledge by either:
 Passing an initial aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center; or
 Hold a part 61 pilot certificate other than student pilot, complete a flight review within the previous 24 months, and complete a small UAS online training course provided by the FAA.
o Be vetted by the Transportation Security Administration.
o Be at least 16 years old.
• Part 61 pilot certificate holders may obtain a temporary remote pilot certificate immediately upon submission of their application for a permanent certificate. Other applicants will obtain a temporary remote pilot certificate upon successful completion of TSA security vetting. The FAA anticipates that it will be able to issue a temporary remote pilot certificate within 10 business days after receiving a completed remote pilot certificate application.
• Until international standards are developed, foreign- certificated UAS pilots will be required to obtain an FAAissued remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating.
A remote pilot in command must:
• Make available to the FAA, upon request, the small UAS for inspection or testing, and any associated documents/records required to be kept under the rule.
• Report to the FAA within 10 days of any operation that results in at least serious injury, loss of consciousness, or property damage of at least $500.
• Conduct a preflight inspection, to include specific aircraft and control station systems checks, to ensure the small UAS is in a condition for safe operation.
• Ensure that the small unmanned aircraft complies with the existing registration requirements specified in
§ 91.203(a)(2). A remote pilot in command may deviate from the requirements of this rule in response to an in-flight emergency.
Aircraft Requirements • FAA airworthiness certification is not required. However, the remote pilot in command must conduct a preflight check of the small UAS to ensure that it is in a condition for safe operation.
Model Aircraft • Part 107 does not apply to model aircraft that satisfy all of the criteria specified in section 336 of Public Law 112-95.
• The rule codifies the FAA’s enforcement authority in part 101 by prohibiting model aircraft operators from endangering the safety of the NAS.

Bottom line (no pun intended) Part 107 has nothing to do with us.

I fully understand that everyone has the prerogative to do what they think best. I am not going to register and even going to shrink the core FAA language to a 3 1/2 x 5 laminated card and keep it with my PreFlight cards.

Reactions: Kenton
The way I understand it this is for any UAV over .55 pounds. If you fly for money it is a very different and much more complicated (read expensive) proposition. I was looking at registering my P3S the other day and it appeared to me that they wanted $25 for registration. I will recheck that after reading so many posts quoting the rate at $5. Either way I will pay.

Tobby
Tobby, Thats a scam site, go directly to the faa.gov site and you will only pay 5 bucks...Watch out for anyone that wants to charge you for a registration that you can do yourself. Cheers

Tobby, Thats a scam site, go directly to the faa.gov site and you will only pay 5 bucks...Watch out for anyone that wants to charge you for a registration that you can do yourself. Cheers
I also registered on that site and paid $25 plus an added cost for them to send me stickers. I was really worried as I was reading this thread, but I went back and checked my emails and I received my registration and FA number from @faa.gov. yes, I got ripped off, but I'll write it off as a lesson learned.

There was a place to add your drones serial number, but if you selected "Hobbyist" from the pull down menu, the small print said to enter N/A instead of a S/N...

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Bottom line (no pun intended) Part 107 has nothing to do with us.

You're right. Part 107 covers commercial drone operations.

Hobbyists are covered by Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336).

I'd copy and paste the relevant text again, but you're still going to think the rules don't apply to you anyway.

Reactions: Meta4 and rumrunner

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119