French teenager with UAV charged with endangering lives

The number of "flyaway" and "battery failure" threads on this board ought to be enough to convince any responsible person that flying in a populated area is risky bordering on dangerous. I don't buy for a minute the argument that "I'm in complete control of my craft" because there's always the possibility that no matter what your flying skills, you may lose control of your craft at any time.

Take, for example, this recent video someone posted testing our their new Dronexpert gimbal:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB-PbMYb9BE[/youtube]

They're flying in a heavily urban area (San Francisco near the Giants ballpark) and even though it's in a small-ish park, if "all of a sudden I lost control and my Phantom shot straight left at a high rate of speed" it's very likely to smash into the window of an overpriced condominium. Likely not much harm there but still a risk. My problem is around the 0:24 mark where he flies right out over The Embaracadero (one of the main streets in SF). If he experienced one of the well-documented Phantom battery problems and "my drone just fell straight from the sky like a rock" it would most likely have caused an accident as startled drivers reacted.

If the drones were much more reliable than they are it would be one thing but to have known, well documented problems that cause these types of adverse situations at unpredictable times means every time you're flying in a populated area you're taking a risk. Maybe not a high risk, but certainly a risk. How reliable do the Phantoms need to be before you'd consider it "safe" to fly over a crowd of people? One crash per thousand flights? Are we at that point with DJI's quality control?

As beautiful as some of these videos are, my skin crawls every time I see a drone pass over a major highway with cars and trucks whizzing by - I think "how irresponsible of that Phantom owner!"

Erroneous007 said:
I don't think we should have irresponsible flying, but I also don't think things should be trumped into irresponsible flying if it is not. I don't under stand the argument about "chasing wildlife". I've seen numerous videos on PBS or National Geographic where helicopter were obviously "chasing" herds of wildlife during filming. How is that any less harassing? (Especially when you can't really even hear a phantom up at 200 feet. Or maybe that's just me because I'm old...)

I agree. I assume that dig was directed toward a video i posted. I posted a video following a flock of Canadian Geese so that's probably what they're talking about. I mistakenly labeled it "chasing" and apparently that equates to "harassing" in their mind. I was at least 100' higher than them and just following them. I had no impact on them whatsoever and they even ignored my machine. I have friends who hunt the geese for fun (with a hunting license). Want their contact info? Lol.

FYI I'm an animal lover so I would never do something if I felt it harmed the animal.

Scottrod said:
I agree. I assume that dig was directed toward a video i posted. I posted a video following a flock of Canadian Geese so that's probably what they're talking about. I mistakenly labeled it "chasing" and apparently that equates to "harassing" in their mind. I was at least 100' higher than them and just following them. I had no impact on them whatsoever and they even ignored my machine. I have friends who hunt the geese for fun (with a hunting license). Want their contact info? Lol.

FYI I'm an animal lover so I would never do something if I felt it harmed the animal.
I'm guessing it was probably in reference to an earlier video posted here, where someone was chasing/filming a herd of antelope from field to field. It seemed obvious the animals were trying to run from the Phantom.

jimre said:
Scottrod said:

I'm guessing it was probably in reference to an earlier video posted here, where someone was chasing/filming a herd of antelope from field to field. It seemed obvious the animals were trying to run from the Phantom.

Gotcha. Yeah that's not cool. Never funny to harass an animal. Although as mentioned earlier National Geographic would just do the same thing with a helicopter to get the shot.

…"Nancy"… What sort of a name is that for a city??

Agreed people need to be careful… Any misstep(s) now will have super serious repercussions for our flying future!!

goldcoastkiwi said:
…"Nancy"… What sort of a name is that for a city?

Seems a much nicer name than, say, Diapur, Victoria, or Tightwad, Mo, or Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch in North Wales

;)

Wow, some of you need to get over yourself with the 'irresponsible flying' and 'harassing animals' bits. What if? If you leave your house I can 'what if' you into a death. Even if you fly your drone in a field it could still fly off and hurt someone else. What are you going to do, make sure you're more than 15 miles from any other person before you fly? What about animals, are you going to make sure you aren't near any before you fly? Because if you aren't, get off your high horse. At what point does a possible scenario become irresponsible operation?
Every single time I drive my car there are people doing irresponsible things around me that endanger my life. We all know about them but they still continue to happen every single time. Maybe I should pull them over chastise them? I bet that will make them think twice next time. :roll:

It's about reducing risk, not removing risk - you can't realistically do the latter. You reduce the risks of driving by requiring road users to have passed some form of standardised test of competence, by requiring they carry a minimum of third party liability insurance and by requiring the vehicle to comply with minimum safety and maintenance standards. Not all of them do so, but most do and hence the overall risks are reduced

At the moment we are fortunate to be able to fly in most countries with a relatively light burden of regulation. If people self-police on risk reduction then we are going to be able to enjoy that freedom for longer. The alternative is that the authorities will see these risky behaviours and rather than impose a "light touch" regulation such as "fly within a range that allows you to have unaided visual contact, don't do stupid stuff, keep a few hundred feet away from densely populated areas" (a paraphrase of what we have in the UK for example) they will go for the heavier restrictions like specifying a max height, max down range, requirements for pilot or aircraft certification or even limited to AMA/BMFA registered flying fields.

I can understand reducing risk but let's not make it so sterile it's not worth having one. We have to be careful who's definition of irresponsible we use. What one person considers slightly risky another may consider irresponsible. If we're going to say don't do something because these things occasionally drop out of the sky we wouldn't fly at all except maybe out over open water. How many flights have taken place that didn't result in a fly away or a crash? What are the percentages of a complete fly away or a battery failure that resulted in a straight drop? I'm not saying flying at 8ft near a huge crowd isn't irresponsible, but I don't consider flying near buildings, near busy landmarks, over busy roads, or near animals irresponsible. Being able to do that is partly why I bought my drone.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl