FPV Booster App DOUBLE Vision+ FPV Range

I do think it's possible to set it permanently but that would require to change some of the default stuff in the Phantom. IIRC this has been discussed in the past and I believe this was also mentioned by dci.

I own this app since the start and it does NOTHING !

we could ask the guy modifying the Android app to check on these changes. He's already removed all the limits from groundstation (distance + waypoint)

cadsii said:

Stop with this ********: this application since the first version has AT LEAST increased the output decibels, anyone can check with a wifi analyzer, so anyone who insists on saying that "do nothing" is clearly a boring troll without much imagination.

WebMaximus said:
I think we are getting close to the point where we should all say thank you to dci for opening our eyes.

Maybe if we're in real luck dci might be the guy who actually could come up with a real improvement of this app. Of course that would be in the form of a new app and we would have to pay again but personally I would be happy to pay for an app developed by someone who really knows what he's doing.

I don't know what to think about all this. PVFlyer did a lot of early Vision antenna/range testing well before his app. He seems to know RF very well and has improved the Phantom experience. If he has sold "several thousand" apps as he claims, we are talking 10's of thousands of dollars for his trouble.

The newer versions with WiFi security password added are helpful. So I'm torn, the performance seems better, I was happy to pay my money. I have a strong moral compass and if this "algorithm" is hot air and double talk, I'm very disappointed by principle.

Does the app in fact auto adjust anything in flight?
Does the app in fact re-connect much faster with signal loss in flight?

If some of these things are true, I'm still happy with the improvement.

I wish DCI would analyze the other app's for the Vision and give an educated 3rd party opinion.

cadsii said:

That's actually patently false and ignorant. The app, logs into the camera and alters transmit power, which has been proven to be effective In the vast majority of cases; it's capable of increasing 2.4ghz range dramatically. If you're contesting that, then I've got a bridge to sell you. Bottom line, this and similar apps make this process easier than trying to do it manually via a console. No magic, and the basic functions being performed are quite well documented in other topics related to the wifi interface. If you still dont understand that, then you're way out of your league and clearly haven't been reading.

The DECEPTION is that the author straight-up lied about additional "functionality" which was purported to be present in the second version of the app in an attempt to justify charging more money for what amounts to the same static function.

varmint said:
The DECEPTION is that the author straight-up lied about additional "functionality" which was purported to be present in the second version of the app in an attempt to justify charging more money for what amounts to the same static function.

Gotta agree...his posts are written here for history ....he lied to make a buck...can't get away with that **** on the internet these days...too many eyes... :mrgreen:

Wow, I should have taken a break a time ago as this discussion goes way more productive without me. :)
I'm currently in a middle of a short travel and I don't have a laptop, so I'll answer without properly quoting previous pages.

Can the distance really be further improved? A have an idea implementing parameter "wiggler" with build-in signal monitor (RSSI and friends can be read on both sides) and throughput tester. It may lead to something or it may not. Definitely there's no point in trying to somehow alter camera protocol (it's already one-way udp, thus almost no contention).
Can changes be permanent? Yes, a small and absolutely harmless patch is needed on the shell script applying wireless config to provide "fixed" tx power setting, after that all parameters may be saved in on-board config. There no problem in creating client application that'll apply the patch and update parameters in the config (but please don't count this as a promise).
This is a little risky during development, however, because of wifi being the only straightforward way to talk to the device, so broken configuration data may "lock" it. Repeater wireless configuration may be reset by holding pairing button, but there is no such an option for the phantom itself.

RemE said:
Does the app in fact auto adjust anything in flight?
It ensures the power stays at 13dBm during the flight, that's all. I believe this doesn't count as adjusting.

RemE said:
I wish DCI would analyze the other app's for the Vision and give an educated 3rd party opinion.
I do in fact have the apk, but I don't have a tools with me. I'll try to find a time slot to do it tomorrow.

varmint said:
The app, logs into the camera and alters transmit power
Just a small correction, it logs in to the phantom access point, not the camera. These are two different devices (phantom AP has ip 192.168.1.1, runs openwrt and works basically as a wifi ap and a telemetry forwarder, while camera is 192.168.1.10 and runs some texas instruments-flavoured linux with custom tools to encode and tx video stream).

cadsii said:

we could ask the guy modifying the Android app to check on these changes. He's already removed all the limits from groundstation (distance + waypoint)

The first app worked as advertised. Nobody can say it didn't, it was only when he couldn't just update the version 2 app (which I've never seen happen on any android app and have been using android since 2010 with many paid apps) and made all of us want the advancements that they made so we paid for it again. That's where people may get a bit chapped.

WebMaximus said:
Very exciting to see where this is going now with a "real" developer on board :)
DCI, may be worth creating a new thread to discuss these interesting ideas you have? I would be very interested in a semi-permanent method to set power without having to do it each time the Phantom boots.

allemtura said:
DCI, may be worth creating a new thread to discuss these interesting ideas you have? I would be very interested in a semi-permanent method to set power without having to do it each time the Phantom boots.
I'll do a few more posts here first. Secrets of the new and shiny booster for vision are not uncovered (I bet there's nothing new though) and sources for everything are not published yet.

Dear DJI Phantom Vision 2+ friends,

Fortunately I discovered the simple booster code very early from this topic:
viewtopic.php?t=17704&p=162170
Thanks to linuxkidd I did not buy the misleading and overly expensive FPV booster App.
I am using a simple ssh app ( that I already owned ) on my iPhone and a quick shortcut to launch the 2 commands:
"iw phy phy0 set txpower fixed 1300" and "iw phy phy0 set distance 1000".
Works every time and didn't cost me anything.

Kindest regards.

set distance line is only published in this topic :)
anyway it's better to issue these two commands as single with && because ssh connection usually gets dropped after changing tx power and the second command likely has no chance to execute.

Update on the booster for vision (non-plus):
  1. App shares a lot of code with v+ and uses the very same concept, but now it also changes tx power on the repeater. :)
  2. Phantom-side binary is now called 'fpvmonitor'. It's the same 'fpvbooster' from v+, it has the same size and checksum, but now its second (tx power) invocation parameter is set to 20 in the phone-side app.
  3. Repeater-side binary is called 'fpvbooster'. It's a brand new binary that just executes a batch of console commands and exits. That's all. Commands are also encrypted with the same lame code shift, they are:
    Code:
    iw reg set BO
    iw phy phy0 set txpower fixed 2000
    iw phy phy0 set distance 1000
    We have the same commented-out-not-used-distance, the same txpower to 20 dBm as in old new phantom-side binary, but the first line is interesting. I've remembered someone setting phantom's country regulations to Bolivia before and it was not PVFlyer, so I've googled and found that post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st28534486 also there's funny PVFlyers' reply to this guy on the next page of the same topic: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st28788070

So basically booster for vision is old good booster for v+, but now with 20dBm and repeater-side involvement.

It's worth noting that Google Play description for booster for vision doesn't mention any of advanced algorithms or anything similar, however you may find a lot of this bs on forums (like in the post linked above).

All the time I wasted looking at this thread for channel 7 for iOS , probally all BS too. Kind of strange he had this Dev buddy supposedly working on this.
When this happens It kinda of makes you doubt everything they said!

Well, a lot of people knew it almost from the beginning.
Rediculous to pay 7,99 Euro for 2 lines. Some thieves have a good disguise shall we say.

WebMaximus said:
Someone else noticed how awfully quiet it has become in here from PVFlyer? I wonder why...

I think most readers and posters have noticed.....it is a shame PVFlyer has not responded to DCI's code analysis and proven the claims regarding the app. And furthermore, there have been some very direct questions asked where simple yes or no responses would have sufficed, but PVFlyer, when he did respond, it was with indirect statements supporting his claims. Typically I have found when someone fails to answer a yes or no question with a one word answer, then you already have your answer. His silence now speaks volumes.

Why aren't people just installing WebUI on their repeater and Phantom and changing the TX power using that? It sticks and you never have to do it again while at the same time you can play with securing your wifi and changing the FPV wifi channel? Why use an app at all? It take minutes to do and good instructions are provided at phantommods.info

Still haven't received any reply to my personal message where I asked him about the difference between version 1 and 2 so I guess there's none and the upgrade cost only gave you a new icon for the app.

Oh well, life goes on :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka