FPV Booster App DOUBLE Vision+ FPV Range

Re: Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster DOUBLE FPV Range

PVFlyer said:
cougar said:
My 2 cents worth.

Tony, can't say but have a feeling this is coming from 2 camps. Either from competitors trying to discredit you or people that might have problems with their own devises. Since many people like to "tinker" and download all kinds of things on their phones and tablets, do they have the necessary hardware to deal with the transmission at great distance? Also had a look at your ratings in the iTunes app store and seems to be great so this must be on Goggle app store? Worth mentioning is also that many Android devises (not all) have inferior hardware to be used with this.

I am not writing this to start a war with Android users just my personal experience with my iPad Mini (retina) is great and have 0 problems and a 50% increase with your app.
Keep up the good work!
Thanks for your good words. In fact, all 3 poor reviews are from iTunes/iOS App Store (2 from USA and 1 from Australia). You may not see the rating if your iTunes account is not in that country.

I don't really care about the poor rating and discredit, though posting more positive reviews will average it out. I just want to help people out if any problem encountered with the booster app.

One other big factor I forgot to mention would be weather conditions/satellite reception when flying.
Always check http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com for available satellites as well as http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/k-index.html
K-Index before flying and you be good to go.

PVFlyer said:
Smb said:
Today I was on the beach so I could check the range. Only 750 meters (altitude 38). After, I lost the connection with the radio but not with the video. It's a bit cheap?
Sorry, I don't follow what you meant. Can you be more specific on your questions or issues?

Sorry for my bad english. I was asking how can people fly 2000 meters if I do only 750 meters in totally open space (on the sea).

Smb said:
PVFlyer said:
Smb said:
Today I was on the beach so I could check the range. Only 750 meters (altitude 38). After, I lost the connection with the radio but not with the video. It's a bit cheap?
Sorry, I don't follow what you meant. Can you be more specific on your questions or issues?

Sorry for my bad english. I was asking how can people fly 2000 meters if I do only 750 meters in totally open space (on the sea).

I believe some people replace the TX control antenna with something like the popular 11dB patch antenna to increase range.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=3383

Smb said:
PVFlyer said:
Smb said:

It seems you lost 5.8G control signal around 750m while 2.4G FPV video was still good. The booster app is only improving 2.4G FPV video. If you want to enhance your 5.8G control link, you may consider 11dBi or 14dBi patch panel. I can easily reach >3km (no 5.8G amplifier required) with those panels and I list both of them in the thread "Stock Vision+ 3KM Range Test" under my signature or viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13016

Smb said:
RemE said:
I believe some people replace the TX control antenna with something like the popular 11dB patch antenna to increase range.

But several people here have posted screenshoots of flights farther than 750 meters with 100% stock hardware.

Yep, I'm one of them. Everything I have is completely stock, and I've flown well over 1,000 meters in a congested, wifi neighborhood of Orlando, FL. This is the wrong conversation for this thread however, since this thread solely deals with increasing the FPV (video view) and NOT the actual flight distance.

Smb said:
RemE said:

But several people here have posted screenshoots of flights farther than 750 meters with 100% stock hardware.

In my experience I get better controll range at altitude, not at 40 feet high. Try goin up to 200 feet or so.

I was at 38meters=125feets. Thanks for the hint.

All stock 1616 meter (5300 feet). Alt: 134 meter (443 feet)
Only with booster app :mrgreen:

I run software business for almost 20 years. Software product development is an art (of course also a science) with comprehensive consideration to balance features, security, safety, performance, ongoing maintenance & upgrade as well as easy to use/deploy. It's not a matter of how to do that from technical stand (user-specified password is real simple), it's a matter of what's the most appropriate way to achieve it. If you look a few pages back of stage-2 booster screen captures, we will implement WPA2 Password on repeater end by a single click of "Apply" button to streamline all the required configurations.

Your approach (or whoever Linuxkidd's excellent guides) has certain drawbacks deploying on P2V+. Changing root password would break some VISION app function, such as Rename SSID. Encrypting aircraft end will definitely lower the bitrate/bandwidth and increase the processor loading, which is likely to affect FPV range especially on a moving (unstable) Wifi network. You can easily test this out by flying your bird. Can you try and report back your results?

You've brought up something I've wondered. With an encrypted feed, if you lose signal, won't it make a reconnection longer, since the secure connection will have to re-sync? Isn't the video feed just a UDP stream like a streaming internet source?

PVFlyer said:
------------------------------
Vaporware Warning!! ★
by PXLpainter - Version 1.1 - Jun 22, 2014

The only thing that got boosted by this purchase was my wallet! Side by side tests with toe identical craft got exact same range/results. We tested 3 consecutive runs in wide open line of sight conditions in the desert.
No change- or worse ★
by skulltronix - Version 1.1 - Jun 21, 2014

My experience is little or no change. Perhaps even less distance, if it does anything at all. Could just be a scam. I was getting 1700' without. With the boost I lost control at 1300'. But this was not a scientific test. The publisher should explain exactly what he is doing to boost the signal and show some proof that it works.
Can't recommend ★★
by PlayingWithMatches - Version 1.1 - Jun 24, 2014

I purchased this app and found out later that the app works by taking advantage if a security vulnerability on the Phantom 2 Vision+ (Google: Phantom Vision+ root password). While the app does increase the Transmitter on the Phantom aircraft to ~19dBm (although I did not get the range boost expected), it is overpriced for what is basically a script that is executed through a known security issue with the Vision+. If DJI patches the system through future software update to fix the root security issue, this app may not work.

Interesting...

Tails_Up said:
I run software business for almost 20 years. Software product development is an art (of course also a science) with comprehensive consideration to balance features, security, safety, performance, ongoing maintenance & upgrade as well as easy to use/deploy. It's not a matter of how to do that from technical stand (user-specified password is real simple), it's a matter of what's the most appropriate way to achieve it. If you look a few pages back of stage-2 booster screen captures, we will implement WPA2 Password on repeater end by a single click of "Apply" button to streamline all the required configurations.

Your approach (or whoever Linuxkidd's excellent guides) has certain drawbacks deploying on P2V+. Changing root password would break some VISION app function, such as Rename SSID. Encrypting aircraft end will definitely lower the bitrate/bandwidth and increase the processor loading, which is likely to affect FPV range especially on a moving (unstable) Wifi network. You can easily test this out by flying your bird. Can you try and report back your results?

You've brought up something I've wondered. With an encrypted feed, if you lose signal, won't it make a reconnection longer, since the secure connection will have to re-sync? Isn't the video feed just a UDP stream like a streaming internet source?
That's why I never propose any encryption on aircraft end, and we don't ever bother to test something unlikely to work. FYI, streaming from P2V/P2V+ is TCP not UDP.

If you change root password for whatever reason, I can almost guarantee this will break the new released waypoint VISION app. "HunterSK" please take note.

Just wanted to share my initial results with the app. Before the app I would turn my v2+ on upstairs and would loose wifi connectivity when going downstairs. With the booster I can now get 4 bars downstairs with perfect fpv video. Can't wait to take my bird out tomorrow to put it to a real test. Works great on latest firmware as well. Thx

I have no technical knowledge to even attempt to give any kind of opinion to the apps validity but I know since I have been using it I havent had a single drop out of fpv at distances where it had dropped out before, so this is either a great "placebo" app, or something is really happening to my aircraft. My interest is not flying silly distances, but quality of signal without drop outs and im getting that.

Thats all I wanted to say really ! Does it work ?....no idea, do I get much better fpv at distance now....yes I do. That will do for me.

;)

Stage-2 Booster App Beta

Alright guys, the stage-2 booster for iOS is ready for beta testing. We might add more features to it, depending on the feedback of the first round beta testing. As we are running low of UDID quota, the first round beta testing is only for those iDevices participated in the previous iOS beta. Please PM me if you are interested and you don't need to send UDID again, I will send you the download link.

There are 6 levels of interference. The higher interference level (highest is 6 - Urban), the better FPV range in urban area but worse in open area. The lower interference level (lowest is 1 - Open), the better FPV range in open area but worse in urban area.

Attachments

• IMG_0749.PNG
    IMG_0749.PNG
    348.6 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_0748.PNG
    IMG_0748.PNG
    243.2 KB · Views: 358
Re: Stage-2 Booster App Beta

PVFlyer said:
Alright guys, the stage-2 booster for iOS is ready for beta testing. We might add more features to it, depending on the feedback of the first round beta testing. As we are running low of UDID quota, the first round beta testing is only for those iDevices participated in the previous iOS beta. Please PM me if you are interested and you don't need to send UDID again, I will send you the download link.

There are 6 levels of interference. The higher interference level (highest is 6 - Urban), the better FPV range in urban area but worse in open area. The lower interference level (lowest is 1 - Open), the better FPV range in open area but worse in urban area.

sign me up! sending pm now..i was just about to go out and fly before work tonight!

PVFlyer said:

Looking good!

So is the Range Extender only getting password option, no boost??

Also will these settings be just trial and error in any particular area?

RemE said:
PVFlyer said:

Looking good!

So is the Range Extender only getting password option, no boost??

Also will these settings be just trial and error in any particular area?

reme, did you install it yet? im getting an error.

here is the error message.

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 387

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member