FPV Booster App DOUBLE Vision+ FPV Range

Re: Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster DOUBLE FPV Range

srandall25 said:
Perhaps this was addressed already in the 115 message thread... Is there any chance on a software update making this a permanent boost to the wifi of the phantom or is that simply physically impossible?
From technical standpoint, making permanent change on P2V+ aircraft is a lot easier. We did not go that path mainly due to some reliability concerns below.
- It may incur conflict during future Wifi firmware update, as we don't know what DJI will change.
- In case you send back your bird to DJI for repair/replacement, there is no trace left and should not affect your warranty.
- It's easier for troubleshooting by isolating the booster, while there are some common well known Wifi issues, such as complete black out screen, telemetry only without FPV, connection broken, etc.
- It's easier & safer for future booster app upgrade.

I like flying with the Moverio glasses, and have the iPhone booster app. I connected with the iPhone tonight and ran the app, then decided to change to the Moverio glasses. They won't load the android version of the app, at least not yet, But can I connect and run the app from the iPhone and then switch over to the glasses? Nothing's rebooted in the process, so was wondering if it keeps the settings from the iPhone version. . Hope there's a compatible version for them soon !

Tails_Up said:
I like flying with the Moverio glasses, and have the iPhone booster app. I connected with the iPhone tonight and ran the app, then decided to change to the Moverio glasses. They won't load the android version of the app, at least not yet, But can I connect and run the app from the iPhone and then switch over to the glasses? Nothing's rebooted in the process, so was wondering if it keeps the settings from the iPhone version. . Hope there's a compatible version for them soon !
Yes, you can run the booster app on iPhone and fly with Moverio glasses. You may refer to the FAQ in the OP (page 1) "Q9. Can I boost P2V+ from one device and fly FPV with another device (including Epson Moverio BT-200)?" for details.

Bought the app today, got out 2150 feet on my first attempt in a wifi heavy area.

Had full signal until i turned the Phantom against me to have a look around, but then it lost signal and it enter RTH mode. Is this because of the angel of antennas on the phantom it self ?

Tnx

Crank3d said:
Bought the app today, got out 2150 feet on my first attempt in a wifi heavy area.

Had full signal until i turned the Phantom against me to have a look around, but then it lost signal and it enter RTH mode. Is this because of the angel of antennas on the phantom it self ?

Tnx

If it entered RTH mode by itself wouldn't that mean you lost control on the TX, not the WIFI?

Crank3d said:

Tnx
Lost control link and RTH is due to lost 5.8G control link. If you see Coming Home and/or FPV flying on screen, then the 2.4G FPV signal is maintained.

You should point the 5.8G rubber ducky antenna AWAY from the aircraft (green tick) and do NOT point antenna toward the aircraft (red cross) as shown below.

Attachments

• Antenna_Aiming.jpg
    Antenna_Aiming.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 313

PVFlyer, I have secured my Phantom by changing the root password, as I prefer security over the use of the Vision+ Booster.

As changing the root password now does not allow your app to function, could the app please accept a user-specified root password to allow continued functionality?

DJI has not implemented security very well, which is what is allowing the Vision+ Booster app work. The app is basically logging in using a known password and making runtime changes to the WiFi settings.

HunterSK said:
PVFlyer, I have secured my Phantom by changing the root password, as I prefer security over the use of the Vision+ Booster.

As changing the root password now does not allow your app to function, could the app please accept a user-specified root password to allow continued functionality.

DJI has not implemented security very well, which is what is making the Vision+ Booster app work. It is basically logging in using a known password and making runtime changes to the WiFi settings.
I don't think changing root password is the proper way of implementing security as I mentioned earlier (several pages back). We may introduce WPA/WPA2 to secure the repeater.

Why is everyone worried about security ? Do you really think someone's going to hack into it ?

Reinstall ... Re: Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster DOUBLE FPV Range

I purchased the "Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster".

I have to wipe my phone and would like to know how to reinstall the app without purchasing the app again.

thanks

Mori55 said:
Why is everyone worried about security ? Do you really think someone's going to hack into it ?

Considering you are only intermittently transmitting, I'd be shocked if someone happened to find your network, and have the tools and ability to do anything to the system before you were off-air (landed).

Re: Reinstall ... Re: Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster DOUBLE FPV Range

140623 said:

I have to wipe my phone and would like to know how to reinstall the app without purchasing the app again.

thanks

On iPhones, you can backup to PC and restore as needed. Also the App store keeps track and allows you to re-download the apps you have purchased. Occasionally I've had to delete an app and had no problem re-downloading them at no charge.

PVFlyer said:
I don't think changing root password is the proper way of implementing security as I mentioned earlier (several pages back). We may introduce WPA/WPA2 to secure the repeater.

Yes I agree.

On my Phantom I have implemented WPA2 encryption on both the Phantom aircraft and Repeater devices. in addition I have changed the Root password on the Phantom and Repeater (only the FC200 camera is left which we don't know the password for it).

For me it is the root password change that prevents your app from working, so if the app could have a user-specified password setting that would be great.

I take responsibility for my devices that I own, this includes taking some basic security precautions. This how I secure up my personal WiFi devices (if I can). I don't need an app to make such changes, and in my opinion such change should not be done by your app as a matter of trustworthiness of third party app (no offence intended) and encryption settings wouldn't be forgotten after reboot.

As for the value of security, do people realise that all it takes for someone to wipe the WiFi software and Repeater of a operating Phantom is to simply run a SSH Client on a phone around a Phantom Vision/Vision+ pilot flying and type in a few commands? A kid at a park could EASILY damage the system by watching you. They would simply log in on the open network, get into your Phantom or repeater, erase the file system and shut down the WiFi. Since the Phantom Vision is one of the most commercially successful drones out there, there is a much greater opportunity to do this compared to other drones. That is why I'm taking responsibility to mitigate that risk.

In the future I think DJI will put out updated software for both the Phantom WiFi and the WiFi repeater which will close the root security hole without the user having to know about how their Phantom system actually works. In this case the Vision+ Boost app will likely not work because it won't be able to log in. So that is something to consider if this happens.

Re: Reinstall ... Re: Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster DOUBLE FPV Range

140623 said:

thanks

If you purchased an app through the Apple or Android market, your account already knows you purchased the app and you can reinstall it anytime you like.

PVFlyer said:
Mori55 said:
Well if you can get channel 7 working , you'll be my hero ! Have made any progress at all with it. ?
We are working hard on channel 7 hack.

My buddy ordered a P2V+ and hope to get it in a few days. He also ordered a second hand P2V camera (egg) from eBay for P2V booster development and I gave him my RE500 repeater as well. He should now get all equipment for development and testing.

Are you guys having any luck getting the 7th channel to work?
I am getting ready to spend money at Dronexpert.nl But they are very expensive and if you can do it with an app I would not even hesitate.

ResevorDG said:
PVFlyer said:
Mori55 said:
Well if you can get channel 7 working , you'll be my hero ! Have made any progress at all with it. ?
We are working hard on channel 7 hack.

My buddy ordered a P2V+ and hope to get it in a few days. He also ordered a second hand P2V camera (egg) from eBay for P2V booster development and I gave him my RE500 repeater as well. He should now get all equipment for development and testing.

Are you guys having any luck getting the 7th channel to work?
I am getting ready to spend money at Dronexpert.nl But they are very expensive and if you can do it with an app I would not even hesitate.
Channel 7 enabler should be doable by software app. We are working on a safety way to implement it. It takes time to do development and testing. Please be patient. ;)

PVFlyer said:
Channel 7 enabler should be doable by software app. We are working on a safety way to implement it. It takes time to do development and testing. Please be patient. ;)

Awesome! I will wait on buying from Dronexpert.nl
I have your booster app and it works well for me.
Out of curiosity, do you have any idea on when you think you will have a working prototype app?

HunterSK said:
PVFlyer said:

Yes I agree.

On my Phantom I have implemented WPA2 encryption on both the Phantom aircraft and Repeater devices. in addition I have changed the Root password on the Phantom and Repeater (only the FC200 camera is left which we don't know the password for it).

For me it is the root password change that prevents your app from working, so if the app could have a user-specified password setting that would be great.

I take responsibility for my devices that I own, this includes taking some basic security precautions. This how I secure up my personal WiFi devices (if I can). I don't need an app to make such changes, and in my opinion such change should not be done by your app as a matter of trustworthiness of third party app (no offence intended) and encryption settings wouldn't be forgotten after reboot.

As for the value of security, do people realise that all it takes for someone to wipe the WiFi software and Repeater of a operating Phantom is to simply run a SSH Client on a phone around a Phantom Vision/Vision+ pilot flying and type in a few commands? A kid at a park could EASILY damage the system by watching you. They would simply log in on the open network, get into your Phantom or repeater, erase the file system and shut down the WiFi. Since the Phantom Vision is one of the most commercially successful drones out there, there is a much greater opportunity to do this compared to other drones. That is why I'm taking responsibility to mitigate that risk.

In the future I think DJI will put out updated software for both the Phantom WiFi and the WiFi repeater which will close the root security hole without the user having to know about how their Phantom system actually works. In this case the Vision+ Boost app will likely not work because it won't be able to log in. So that is something to consider if this happens.
I think enabling WPA2 on the repeater end is secure enough to protect 99.9% of unauthorized access. Please tell me HOW a kid at a park can damage your system once WPA2 enabled. Don't tell me you are against DoS/DDoS attack, like Facebook encountered several days ago.

FYI, there are multiple other ways to access P2V+ Wifi even you change the root password. Hence, you would not get 100% secured anyway. Changing root password would also break some functions of VISION app though FPV camera work.

PVFlyer said:
I think enabling WPA2 on the repeater end is secure enough to protect 99.9% of unauthorized access. Please tell me HOW a kid at a park can damage your system once WPA2 enabled. Don't tell me you are against DoS/DDoS attack, like Facebook encountered several days ago.

FYI, there are multiple other ways to access P2V+ Wifi even you change the root password. Hence, you would not get 100% secured anyway. Changing root password would also break some functions of VISION app though FPV camera work.

Yes enabling WPA2 encryption is likely sufficient, I agree with you there and I'm not disputing that. The reality is that enabling WPA2 encryption requires quite a lot more work to set up (editing configuration files, and setting up encryption setting and pass key on two ends on two platforms: the Phantom and Repeater). When I started I simply changed my root password as a start and then enabled encryption later thanks to Linuxkidd's excellent guides on this forum.

My own experience have not revealed any issue with the change of the root password. I did not find any issue with FPV live stream, Telemetry, I could even access and download photos and videos from the Phantom. Everything works as normal, as expected because the DJI Vision+ does not log in as root to access this type of data. Please enlighten me if I'm in error.

My point is that IF the root password is changed, could future versions of the Vision+ Boost app please be able to have a user-specified password?

I'm posting this on this thread by asking politely and with respect to the developer as a customer.

cougar said:
Mori55 said:
Plus when the ground station becomes available I'm sure you'll have to update.

This is very possible, but it would take a HUGE benefit before I leave 1.08. I do know most people are on newer firmware but the 1.08 is SO much nimbler and fun to fly.

Have two P2V+ in the family and the other is on 3.04, flown them side by side and in my view 1.08 is the best.
As far as restrictions, don't have any problem with the no-fly areas that some people object to but like the nimbleness of 1.08 :)

I take it you fly no further then the eye can see? I know you wont like to hear this......I flew with 1.08 for a week, 6 weeks ago. At first I thought I was in heaven with the v1.08 installed. I soon realized it was the most unstable version of all. Version 3.0 is the best for both applications the Vision and the vPlus. The v3.04 as we know has a major issue directed at a mystery heating problem. They also messed up in leading users on a turd hunt with the Gain's settings. I never did figure out why dji was putting so much attention into the adjust ability into the stability when adding additional weight. I'm being sarcastic, but it's almost like they want the working man to pull his Phantom out of his vehicle and it be able to transport a flat tire to the closest service shop for repair. LOL! At any rate stay away from upgrading to v3.04, at least until numerous others have given it the good-to-go approval.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164