FPV Booster App DOUBLE Vision+ FPV Range

Re: Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster DOUBLE FPV Range

HarleyRed said:
PVFlyer said:
HarleyRed said:
After around 8 flights over two days with virtually no improvement in FPV distance, today I also tried the in-house testing using a wifi signal strength app. From about 15 ' away I initially was getting pre-boost readings of -60 dbi. I then activated the boost and saw no difference, still - 60 dbi. One time it dropped to - 58dbi, but it also went to -66 dbi. I uninstalled the booster app and re-installed it with the same results. I really want this to work, but so far it is a no-go with this bird. I am going to continue to test it.
It's weird there is no signal strength improvement. Did you see "Your Vision+ is boosted" message when you activated the app? I guess you are boosting P2V+ instead of P2V, while this app does not work for P2V.

Yes, I see the "your vision is boosted" message, and it is on a P2V+.
I just came in from another test. I flew it out unboosted until I lost the fpv. (only about 1200 ft and still LOS) then I flew it out for probably another 300 ft. and still had no connection. I then got out of vision app and went to booster app. I hit "boost" and got the message "your vision plus is boosted". My question is: Does the app actually communicate with the bird and is reporting back that is it indeed boosted, or is it just sending a command, and does not really know if it is actually boosted ? I assume it is using the 2.4ghz signal to transmit the command to the P2V+, so how does it do that when the connection is broken ?
I have tried just about every combination of things I can think of, and am still getting no increase. I also think the stock configuration is a little weak too as I would think I should be getting better than 1200 ft LOS.

I do have some TP Link omni antennas ordered that are supposed to come today. I will be installing at least one on the wifi extender and hopefully that will get me a little more distance.
Stock 1200ft FPV seems a bit weak, but FPV range may vary.

The booster app communicates to P2V+ aircraft via the repeater. If the Wifi connection broken (say turn off either repeater or aircraft), it won't connect and show an error. You may easily test this out.

You mentioned "testing using a wifi signal strength app", may I know which SSID are you testing (Phantom_XXXXXX or the hidden SSID)? Did you test and fly in other open area?

HarleyRed said:
In the one regular flight scenario that I have been using to test the app it does not matter what I do, I get right around 1200 ft. and lose FPV.
I have tried it stock setup, stock setup boosted, 1.0.39 & 1.0.40, 6dbi add on antenna on the wifi extender - boosted and unboosted, re-bind on the wifi and P2V+. You name it and I have tried it. Still gets choppy and stops right around 1200 feet. This is all at 350 ft. and LOS. No trees, wires, etc. between me and the bird. Strange.
I suggest to try in another open field or direction. There could be a 2.4G interference at such 1200ft point. Please report back.

I was testing the Phantom SSID. I suppose the hidden SSID is the one from the bird itself. Is there anyway to access that one ?

I will probably be able to test tomorrow in a new location. I will keep testing and re-testing and report back.

HarleyRed said:
I was testing the Phantom SSID. I suppose the hidden SSID is the one from the bird itself. Is there anyway to access that one ?

I will probably be able to test tomorrow in a new location. I will keep testing and re-testing and report back.
No wonder you did not see any signal strength boosted. Phantom_XXXXXX SSID is from the repeater, and the aircraft SSID is a hidden one. This version of V+ Booster app only boosts the aircraft end. I use Wifi Analyzer running on Nexus 7 to check the Wifi signal.

Attachments

• P2V+ CH-11.png
    P2V+ CH-11.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 411

Thanks PVF. I have been using the same Wifi Analyzer.

The signal from the aircraft is intermittent. It appears and disappears on the analyzer. I was just able to check it boosted and unboosted. It was around -58 without boost and -53 with boost. So the app is doing something. I just haven't had it work to get me any more distance in actual use and about three scenarios.
I will keep trying it in different places and report back.

I also checked the wifi extender after adding the single 6dbi omni antenna, and it seems to have helped quite a bit. Now I just need to try and get some real world results.
Thanks again !

I got 1.5 km of amazing fpv today down at the twelve apostles on the great ocean road. I reached the limit that was set in the assistant and the the video didn't even look like breaking up. Fantastic app, highly recomended.

Kelvo1984 said:
I got 1.5 km of amazing fpv today down at the twelve apostles on the great ocean road. I reached the limit that was set in the assistant and the the video didn't even look like breaking up. Fantastic app, highly recomended.
Glad to know you like the app! Can you post the review to Google Play or App Store?

I haven't tried it for FPV distance yet, but in test through walls and metal doors at home it's working for me. Left a (+) positive review on the Playstore. My Epson glasses arrive this coming week. I hope it will work well with them, but I need to sideload the app, since it doesn't have Playstore. How can this be done, since it's a protected app?

dannytroy said:
I haven't tried it for FPV distance yet, but in test through walls and metal doors at home it's working for me. Left a (+) positive review on the Playstore. My Epson glasses arrive this coming week. I hope it will work well with them, but I need to sideload the app, since it doesn't have Playstore. How can this be done, since it's a protected app?
Thanks a lot for your positive review. You are probably the first one to test with walls and metal doors. :lol:

I'm unsure how the Android of Epson glasses work, but the worst case is to boost Vision+ aircraft with your Android phone/tablet and fly with Epson glasses.

The Epson BT-200 glasses are basically running Android 4.0, so the app should work. The problem is there is no Play Store on the device, so any app has to be sideloaded (using memory card, or USB cable). I'm hoping someone can figure out how to load Play Store and get it working, but so far I don't think it's possible.

If the Phantom is boosted, and the cell phone or tablet (I can use either) is disconnected so that the Epson glasses can be connected, with the Phantom still retain the boost? I know the Phantom software prevents two devices from being connected at the same time.

dannytroy said:
The Epson BT-200 glasses are basically running Android 4.0, so the app should work. The problem is there is no Play Store on the device, so any app has to be sideloaded (using memory card, or USB cable). I'm hoping someone can figure out how to load Play Store and get it working, but so far I don't think it's possible.

If the Phantom is boosted, and the cell phone or tablet (I can use either) is disconnected so that the Epson glasses can be connected, with the Phantom still retain the boost? I know the Phantom software prevents two devices from being connected at the same time.
I bet you can install Google Play Store app to Epson glasses Android.

Anyhow, you can connect 2 or more iOS/Android devices (including Epson glasses) to Phantom network at the same time, and run the booster app on any device. You could only open Vision app CAMERA on 1 device concurrently though. You may easily test this out with 2 devices.

dannytroy said:

Yes, once boosted, the model stays boosted until powered down.

Thanks guys. Easy enough to do, since I'm always carrying the cell phone anyway. Boost with the cell phone and fly with the Epson glasses. I'll report back on my progress this coming week.

reached my 10,000 ft goal today..i think im done. lol

Attachments

• RTH.jpg
    RTH.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 355
  • 10000FT.jpg
    10000FT.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 350

PVFlyer said:
zryall3 said:
I purchased the wifi booster and tried it out with my new Vision 2 + and wasn't sure if it was doing better or not. A previously non boosted flight had the wifi cutting out around 800 feet altitude, with the actual controller losing contact intermittently around 1,000 feet. With the range booster turned on, shouldn't I be getting much better video link range? I tried turning off the booster app and still got about the same. How do I tell if the app is actually connected and boosting. It said " now you're connected" when I turned it on (both range extender and Phantom already turned on), but I'm not sure I actually saw any improvement. I'm not in a heavy interference area that i know of but I am using the stock batteries that came with the new Phantom. What type of range should I expect to get with the Booster app engaged? Unrelated to the booster and the wifi, in terms on just controlling the Phanom, what kind of range do any of you find to be typical before it enters come home mode? The 5.8 mhz controller I thought would be good for a couple thousand feet line of site at least.Thanks
I suggest you to read the FAQ section in the first post of this thread. Where did you get " now you're connected" message?

I got tmake sure I understand after looking at the original post on the thread, do I need any special antenna to modify my transmitter or range extender to take advantage of the booster app? Thanks

Any good instructions around for using the 12 dbi dual Antenna setup mentioned? I watched one YouTube video of modifying your range extender for one antenna but don't recall which antenna it was.

zryall3 said:
Any good instructions around for using the 12 dbi dual Antenna setup mentioned? I watched one YouTube video of modifying your range extender for one antenna but don't recall which antenna it was.
If you hold up the extender with the two antenna connectors at the bottom, the one on the left is the one you want. Just did the mod last night.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl