FPV Booster App DOUBLE Vision+ FPV Range

Re: Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster DOUBLE FPV Range

I used a Nexus 5, then a Note 2. Different locations. Same thing.. 1.0.40

Vortex66 said:
Why does it keep stucking on my Nexus 5 at 640x480@15fps?:(

Because (read my post, just 2/3 days ago) the DJI app have some incompatibility with Nexus5 at 640x480@(every)fps.
And not only with Nexus5.

Finally I was able to get my bird I the air today and try FPVFlyer awesome beta. I am in a very urban area, with apartments all aroundme and retail 1/2 mile from me. Using my Droid DNA iI was able to fly a little over 1200ft before lost signal, I got control back and "boosted" up then got all the way to 2000ft distance at 400ft high. It also was very humid today and I think that effected my distance some. I have gotten it 1400ft in the country before this. The software works and is amazing, I need to plan a trip to rural area as soon as I can.

Great work!

Bought the app today. Been getting 1100 foot usable range in my suburban neighborhood at 250'-300'. Today, I was over 1400' and still had fairly good FPV control when I intermittently started losing actual control of the bird itself. I had no visual contact and had multiple houses in between me and the Phantom. I was able to nudge it into better controllable range and flew it home.

I had never flown it that far away before because when flying from my home, I can't keep good line of sight from that distance due to the houses and would lose video between 1000' and 1100'.

So, in my initial test, I'd say I had a pretty good experience at an apparent 30%-40% improvement in video signal range. I need to get to a more open area where I can really get a good distance test.

I've never posted on here before, just read a lot of info. I purchased the android app and can't tell a noticeable difference in flight distance. I consistently get between 4900 and 5100 feet just as I did before the app purchase.

Zachsw said:
I've never posted on here before, just read a lot of info. I purchased the android app and can't tell a noticeable difference in flight distance. I consistently get between 4900 and 5100 feet just as I did before the app purchase.

Wow, that is still good distance. Maybe you got lucky and yours came pre-boosted??? :lol:

I installed the Android booster app yesterday and tried a few things today to test it out. I made a few flights from home that I know where i usually lost FPV. I am using the stock wifi extender and the only thing not stock that I use is a 11db panel antenna for the 5.8. Everything was fully charged. I am using 1.0.39 on a Galaxy Tab 3. Naza M 640 x 480 x 15fps

The first flight I boosted first, then ran the Vision app and took off to an area where I generally lose FPV within about a 100 feet area. I lost FPV about the same place that I always do. I brought it back towards home and then sent it back to the same area with the same result. I was at 350' altitude and LOS. Lost FPV at around 1300 ft.
A while later I went back out and took it from home to another area that I am very familiar with where I lose FPV, and usually control signal about the same time. I sent it up and took it slowly toward the area that I start to lose FPV, again around 350 ft. and LOS. When the video started getting choppy I stopped and let it hover while I got out of the Vision app and ran the Booster app. Re-started Vision app and at first it was OK. I started to move forward again and within less than 5 seconds I lost FPV altogether. I brought it back home, cycled power in everything and sent it back up. This time I boosted before takeoff and still only got about 100 feet further than before. About 1500 ft the first flight and 1600 the second.
I know this is very preliminary and anecdotal but so far I am not seeing any distance gains. Tomorrow I may get a chance to take it out where there is not so much wifi.
I also see where the app says it is boosted, then about 5 seconds later it goes back to "boost up". Does the iphone app do the same ? Is it possible it is losing the boost ? Just curious...

Yea...The only reason I get such good range is because there is literally nothing where I live... no hills, no trees....just miles and miles of precision leveled farm ground.

I do have a question though... I'm completely new to this hobby. When I get out to 5100 feet why does it say distance limit and have a pic of a plane?

Zachsw said:
I do have a question though... I'm completely new to this hobby. When I get out to 5100 feet why does it say distance limit and have a pic of a plane?

that is the max default distance (geofence) set in the phantom assistant software. you can change it by hooking up your phantom to the usb port on your computer..you may want to have another read of your manual.

sidenote: if you are getting 5000ft stock, you are doing pretty good..i had to do some minor modifications to get that distance.

I read a lot of positive chatter about this software. Yet, today when I went to purchase the program for my Nexus tablet there was only one product review shown. I am wondering if in fact PV2+ flyers are really satisfied with this software? If they are liking it, I suggest writing positive reviews for all to see. It would have given me more confidence that I was making a wise choice.

Yaw Master said:
I read a lot of positive chatter about this software. Yet, today when I went to purchase the program for my Nexus tablet there was only one product review shown. I am wondering if in fact PV2+ flyers are really satisfied with this software? If they are liking it, I suggest writing positive reviews for all to see. It would have given me more confidence that I was making a wise choice.

That's because the Android version just went online a day ago. The IOS version on itunes has been out longer, you might want to check the reviews on there, also read this entire thread. I am a android beta tester, I was out of town when I got it without my bird, but I went out today to test and got over 65 percent boost in range and I am in wifi nightmare urban apartment area. It's the real deal and pretty easy to understand what the app does; it writes to the bird to up the fpv power level around 50percent and off you go.

Zycor

Yaw Master said:
+1. I strongly encourage you ALL using the iOS/Android booster app to write a review and rate it.

Bought the App for iPhone.... I LOVE IT !! Just tonight 500' at a 1700' distance.. I just didn't have the stones to keep flying out...

I read somewhere that PVFlyer was considering an app to take the telemetry data and get it onto the video without a flytrex system.... Just saying that would be an amazing add on to the system....

Thanks for your efforts !!

guaranteed at least 30% range increase consistently. i've gotten 50% more often then not.
whats best for me is being able to use 640x480 15fps preview quality. i've been stuck on the lowest one 320x240 15fps since i got my drone. prior to this booster app using 640 i couldn't get past 200 feet out by 100 feet up without loosing picture. now thats pretty pathetic considering i could get over a mile easy stock at 320 15fps. 640 is soooo much more clearer.
boosted i got 3100 feet today. but i have to note that I have a 8dbi antenna on my wifi box now. but on this exact flight path i've been stopped at 3200 feet randomly with my stock and modded drone at 320 15fps countless times. i can't pinpoint why, but this path is tricky. i'll get stopped at 3200 feet, rth activated, then i take control and head back out and get 4800 feet.

I tried out the Android booster on a Verizon Samsung S3 running 4.3 today with a stock P2V+. I only had 11 flights on it and hadn't tried any distance flights before. Previously with my P2V, I added antennas to the repeater and have had FPV out past 7000' with it and once out to 9500' with telemetry but no video). I use Flytrex for tracking on the P2V - have a new one on order for the +.

Today on the P2V+, first I set preview to 640x480@15, tested RTH from close by, then flew out in an area with no interference at 395', unboosted. I lost control around 4000' still with nearly perfect FPV. I took control back and flew a little further a couple of times, getting to 4200'. Not bad and much further than the advertised 800m. The weather was perfect - light wind under 5mph, no humidity, temp maybe 75F. I played around with ATTI mode on the return, cruising at 56-58mph.

Then on the next battery, I tried it boosted, also at 395', and it went further, but again ended in RTH with steady FPV, this time at 5400' or so. Pretty awesome with no hardware mods flying out over a mile, using 640x480! The video didn't glitch at all - amazing.

I played around on the 3rd flight, starting with 640x480@30 unboosted and flew out to 3500' with FPV working (slight lag but still fine in any orientation). I switched down to 320x240@15 and flew to 4800', then successfully remotely boosted and flew out to about 6200' (I had to climb to 550' to avoid some high power lines). I was surprised to have control out that far since on the first two flights I always lost control much closer in. In the end, I lost control but still had full FPV.

So I don't have a definitive answer on how much improvement there is. I will have to add a better 5.8 antenna to get the control range further than the FPV range. Even without the booster app, the P2V+ is phenomenal compared to a stock P2V. I am blown away. I LOVE being able to fly in any orientation too. Even with my best pair of antennas on the P2V I had to fly sideways after about 6000' to maintain FPV and it was shakey beyond 7000'. I would always lose FPV during RTH. Not anymore! I can't wait for my Flytrex 2 to arrive so I have actual data rather than quoting numbers from memory or doing screenshots. I took one screenshot of the 320x240 flight just after losing control.

Thanks very much for the app. I'll buy the P2V version when it comes out too! Please make sure both apps can co-exist on the same device.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-29-19-19-50.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-29-19-19-50.png
    418 KB · Views: 423

nhoover said:
I tried out the Android booster on a Verizon Samsung S3 running 4.3 today with a stock P2V+. I only had 11 flights on it and hadn't tried any distance flights before. Previously with my P2V, I added antennas to the repeater and have had FPV out past 7000' with it and once out to 9500' with telemetry but no video). I use Flytrex for tracking on the P2V - have a new one on order for the +.

Today on the P2V+, first I set preview to 640x480@15, tested RTH from close by, then flew out in an area with no interference at 395', unboosted. I lost control around 4000' still with nearly perfect FPV. I took control back and flew a little further a couple of times, getting to 4200'. Not bad and much further than the advertised 800m. The weather was perfect - light wind under 5mph, no humidity, temp maybe 75F. I played around with ATTI mode on the return, cruising at 56-58mph.

Then on the next battery, I tried it boosted, also at 395', and it went further, but again ended in RTH with steady FPV, this time at 5400' or so. Pretty awesome with no hardware mods flying out over a mile, using 640x480! The video didn't glitch at all - amazing.

I played around on the 3rd flight, starting with 640x480@30 unboosted and flew out to 3500' with FPV working (slight lag but still fine in any orientation). I switched down to 320x240@15 and flew to 4800', then successfully remotely boosted and flew out to about 6200' (I had to climb to 550' to avoid some high power lines). I was surprised to have control out that far since on the first two flights I always lost control much closer in. In the end, I lost control but still had full FPV.

So I don't have a definitive answer on how much improvement there is. I will have to add a better 5.8 antenna to get the control range further than the FPV range. Even without the booster app, the P2V+ is phenomenal compared to a stock P2V. I am blown away. I LOVE being able to fly in any orientation too. Even with my best pair of antennas on the P2V I had to fly sideways after about 6000' to maintain FPV and it was shakey beyond 7000'. I would always lose FPV during RTH. Not anymore! I can't wait for my Flytrex 2 to arrive so I have actual data rather than quoting numbers from memory or doing screenshots. I took one screenshot of the 320x240 flight just after losing control.

Thanks very much for the app. I'll buy the P2V version when it comes out too! Please make sure both apps can co-exist on the same device.
Thanks for the great review. :D The 5.8G control seems the weaker link to really test FPV gain of the booster app. It would be helpful if you can post a review to Google Play store and share your experience.

Zycor said:
Finally I was able to get my bird I the air today and try FPVFlyer awesome beta. I am in a very urban area, with apartments all aroundme and retail 1/2 mile from me. Using my Droid DNA iI was able to fly a little over 1200ft before lost signal, I got control back and "boosted" up then got all the way to 2000ft distance at 400ft high. It also was very humid today and I think that effected my distance some. I have gotten it 1400ft in the country before this. The software works and is amazing, I need to plan a trip to rural area as soon as I can.

Great work!
Thanks for sharing the result. Can you post a review to Google Play store?

PhantomPhyler said:
Bought the app today. Been getting 1100 foot usable range in my suburban neighborhood at 250'-300'. Today, I was over 1400' and still had fairly good FPV control when I intermittently started losing actual control of the bird itself. I had no visual contact and had multiple houses in between me and the Phantom. I was able to nudge it into better controllable range and flew it home.

I had never flown it that far away before because when flying from my home, I can't keep good line of sight from that distance due to the houses and would lose video between 1000' and 1100'.

So, in my initial test, I'd say I had a pretty good experience at an apparent 30%-40% improvement in video signal range. I need to get to a more open area where I can really get a good distance test.
Glad to know your improvement. The booster app is not magic, if you can maintain LOS, I'm pretty sure you can fly a lot longer range.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor