Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Flying without the GoPro

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by 3rdCultureKid, May 19, 2014.

1. 3rdCultureKid

Hi All,

I have a Phantom 2 with HD-3D Gimbal, flew with the Gimbal / GoPro for the first time this weekend with great results but it did make make think about something which I wondered what other people did / thought about it.

So I thought that I dont always want to fly with a GoPro on. There's gonna be some days where I just want to fly around for fun / practice. Do you guys do that? If so do you remove the Gimbal, I read that you shouldnt power the phantom on without a GoPro in the Gimbal as it goes mad and can damage it.

I was thinking of making something the same weight and shape as a GoPro as like a dummy camera but if Im honest I'd rather just take the gimbal off? I'd love some sort of quick release system for example.

What do you reckon?

Patrick

2. 750r

I take it off 4 screws and a ribbon cable .

3. 3rdCultureKid

Doh! Of course.. I was thinking I'd have to detach the lower part of the Gimbal from the top bit thats screwed to the phantom... feel a bit stupid now hahaha!

Thank you

Patrick

4. QYV

QYV

yea you'll notice you get quite a bit more flight time without the gimbal and gopro attached. As long as you aren't careless with the ribbon cable you shouldn't have any trouble removing it and it's just 4 phillips head screws so once you have the gimbal+gopro assembled you should be able to get the gimbal on and off within 1 minute.
    you're correct that you don't want to power up the gimbal (much less fly) without the gopro, so just removing the whole assembled thing seems a lot easier than jumping through all those hoops to try to "trick" the gimbal into thinking it has a gopro attached, weight, etc.