Flying through narrow canyons or over tall hills.

Near Socorro, NM and San Mateo and Magdalena mountains.

Oh nice!! I love that area... dated a girl from Datil... my son just got accepted to NM TECH... love camping down in San Lorenzo canyon... that might be a cool place to go get some shots of Mr. OP

This is true, however you were contradicting what Meta4 said in his post #7, which was correct. This is what I was asking.
I told you before I wasn't good with expressing myself in written text. Lol
The last sentence was in reference to the first #1 post.
My fault for the confusion. My brain thinks one thing and my hands don't write it all down.

[QUOTE="Javiejav, post: 1415665, member: 63718" love camping down in San Lorenzo canyon... that might be a cool place to go get some shots of Mr. OP[/QUOTE]

Actually, I live on west side of I-25 near Polvadera and just south of San Lorenzo arroyo and canyon. Nice country on the ground or in the air. Only place I almost crashed my P3S in that narrow canyon when 4 sats suddenly disappeared! Learned to take off in ATTI, get above the canyon, then to P-GPS. Behind the Lemitar truck stop is nearly hidden Corkscrew canyon, another interesting very narrow canyon. Good flying.

Just exactly how do you interpret VLOS when it comes to drone flying? How exactly do you interpret your statement "as permitted of course" and then say you don't intend to adhere to the FAA VLOS requirement?

Just exactly how do you interpret VLOS when it comes to drone flying? How exactly do you interpret your statement "as permitted of course" and then say you don't intend to adhere to the FAA VLOS requirement?

Permitted means that an area is not off limits to drone flying. Unlike a national park. VLOS is something we all do even though in reality we may not be able to actually see our drone every second of the flight. I do not see that well, especially a white drone against a bright sky and a few hundred feet up and hundreds of feet away. Do you? That's why we navigate through the lens. It comes back into view soon enough and I can sometimes get a visual by hearing it's sound. Maybe it's above trees that partially block my view for a minute. Is that illegal? If it is then I'm a criminal, along with most of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Javiejav
[QUOTE="Javiejav, post: 1415665, member: 63718" love camping down in San Lorenzo canyon... that might be a cool place to go get some shots of Mr. OP

Actually, I live on west side of I-25 near Polvadera and just south of San Lorenzo arroyo and canyon. Nice country on the ground or in the air. Only place I almost crashed my P3S in that narrow canyon when 4 sats suddenly disappeared! Learned to take off in ATTI, get above the canyon, then to P-GPS. Behind the Lemitar truck stop is nearly hidden Corkscrew canyon, another interesting very narrow canyon. Good flying.[/QUOTE]

I’m gonna have to check out the canyon you speak of behind the truck stop. Sounds interesting!!

Not bad video but it is flying over a canyon, and not a narrow canyon, so it doesn't address the question asked by the OP. It would be more relevant if it were flying down near the river and the canyon were more twisty.

Hahaaaaa I wasn’t about to fly any lower!! The winds were treacherous at the height I was at!!

It would be more relevant if it were flying down near the river and the canyon were more twisty.

Been to that Rio Grande Gorge and bridge many times, once with the drone. The river (Rio Grande) is 800-900 feet below the bridge. Always quite windy there and you can feel the strong gusty updrafts standing on the bridge - enough to scare you from sending your drone down into the canyon. No roads to the bottom of the canyon either to retrieve your crashed drone! Actually, javiejav showed more nerve than my flight. Unfortunately, that bridge is a popular spot for suicide jumpers. I was there once when they recovered a body. Traffic was halted for an hour as they maneuvered a huge crane on the bridge and lowered a bucket down to the river to retrieve the body. Only way down there. Unsettling sight.

Been to that Rio Grande Gorge and bridge many times, once with the drone. The river (Rio Grande) is 800-900 feet below the bridge. Always quite windy there and you can feel the strong gusty updrafts standing on the bridge - enough to scare you from sending your drone down into the canyon. No roads to the bottom of the canyon either to retrieve your crashed drone! Actually, javiejav showed more nerve than my flight. Unfortunately, that bridge is a popular spot for suicide jumpers. I was there once when they recovered a body. Traffic was halted for an hour as they maneuvered a huge crane on the bridge and lowered a bucket down to the river to retrieve the body. Only way down there. Unsettling sight.
Roughly 600’ above the Rio Grande, it is the tenth highest bridge in the United States.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka