Flying Phantom 4 Over 1,600 Feet

I am lost - can someone..ANYONE explain to me where there is an advantage or benefit to operating a drone at the altitudes discussed here ?

Reactions: benthinking08
I am lost - can someone..ANYONE explain to me where there is an advantage or benefit to operating a drone at the altitudes discussed here ?

Certainly! I shoot mountain videos of waterfalls and canyons. It's as simple as that, and all perfectly legal.

Last edited:
Reactions: benthinking08
I would like to know why 1640' was selected as the hard limit? I mean, why not set the limit at 2000', or 1500'? Is there an FAA law in the USA or a similar law in another country that says 1640' is the maximum altitude for UAV aircraft? Is there a functional limitation that could impact drone performance or communication? Or was it some DJI employee in Japan throwing a dart at a dartboard? I think the consumer has a right to know why the hard limit was set!

I would like to know why 1640' was selected as the hard limit? I mean, why not set the limit at 2000', or 1500'? Is there an FAA law in the USA or a similar law in another country that says 1640' is the maximum altitude for UAV aircraft? Is there a functional limitation that could impact drone performance or communication? Or was it some DJI employee in Japan throwing a dart at a dartboard? I think the consumer has a right to know why the hard limit was set!

The limit is 500m. It just happens to be equal to 1640'.

Reactions: Pharm
DJI have never explained this but it's obviously not about any law or regulation.
There are no regs about exceeding 500 metres above home.
There are no regs anywhere about any height above your launch point. - All regs are about height above ground level.

It's pretty obvious that DJI had to consider a number of points when they set an upper limit of 500 metres.
To have no limit would cause many problems and many lost Phantoms.
They would have picked 500 metres as a reasonable compromise between a height limitation that would allow most users to do what they want or need to do in most flying environments and a height that would help keep Phantoms from endangering planes.
Other factors they may have been considering is a height that doesn't create risks of getting into stronger upper level winds and blowing away or having battery problems with people climbing too high and not having enough battery for the long, slow descent.

Although I don't advocate crossing the lines and/or disregarding the "suggestions/recommendations" set forth by the various authorities, I believe I can provide at least one answer to your question...EXPLORATION.

Our souls want to see and do things we've never seen and done before. It's the very basis of why we hobbyists fly camera-equipped quads. We're not flying for any commercial benefit. We're flying because we want to experience the little corner-of-the-world we live in from a different perspective.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Reactions: Les Davidson
At the moment we do have the hack and DJI is already trying to shut us down by doing an over the air update. So far nothing had been done. I haven't modded my one yet but the guys in London have done it with great results

Reactions: Les Davidson
Sorry to interrupt guys but...

ianzone... just curious is that a Tab 9.7 and if so, what type of case/folio are you using to carry it around before attaching to R/C for flight? I'm having a heck of a time finding a "good" solution that protects fairly well, but let's me break it out quickly/easily for flight.

Thanks!
If you're referring to a sun shade, this is what I use and love it:

Welcome to AerialDroneAccessories.com

1499528480152.jpg
1499528483317.jpg

As you can see I won't revel the group but it has been hacked

Reactions: srosen

I think there is a bit of confusion here. We have "AGL" Above Ground Level and "MSL" Mean Sea Level. We could be in the mountains at 2500' MSL and the fly at 400' AGL and that would be fine. Now, if we were at 600' MSL and flying at 1200' AGL we have a problem. Manned Aircraft is not supposed to go below 500' AGL except during take off and landing and that is why we are not supposed to fly near an Airport. This is why we are limited to the 400' AGL. The only reason for flying at 12-1500' AGL would be for an Inspection of a structure and in that case you need the FAA Remote Pilot License, and you would have to be within 400' of that structure and no more than 400' above the structure which in my opinion is way to high and could cause a problem with manned flight. At 400' above a structure you are not going to accomplish anything useful. I feel that 200' would be a better and safer height limit. Bear in mind if you were doing an inspection of a tower at those heights there is another ruling that states that you must stay 2500' away from a Tower due to the possibility of Guy Wires therefore making the 400' ruling null and void. Keep in mind that you must have your Aircraft within sight at all times. I lose sight of my white Phantom looking straight up on a day with a bit of overcast sky at around 250' never mind the 400'. Not only due to the ruling, I am very uncomfortable not being able to see my Phantom at all times while it is in the air. Now that I have drifted from your original question why you would want to fly at 12 to 2000' AGL I have no idea and you will never see me up there.

I'm still trying to figure out why my P4P shows I'm either IN a NoFlyZone or I will be passing through a NOFLYZONE on my return. I have/will never fly in a NFZ, but something in my system seems to think I am.

Now that I have drifted from your original question why you would want to fly at 12 to 2000' AGL I have no idea and you will never see me up there.

As I stated in a previous post.

To get to the top of THIS
84bb996aac8f9ca40584ca4d9960eca6.jpg

That is out in the middle of THIS
787bada0223ff17737737e21a60972c8.jpg

I plan on flying straight up the center of this mountain. This is legal and within the altitude restrictions of North America. The world is more than man-made structures.

EDIT: During the flight I may break the AGL maximum, but not on purpose.

Last edited:
So...don't quote me on this but I heard a white rabbit does exist. From what I have not been able to find available on the internet (because of suppression) is an .apk of an earlier version of DJIgo that did not have the 500m altitude limit. I have been looking since I bought my P3p but have settled on vs. 2.4.3 and have not allowed any updates. And for a matter of fact, I was updating Litchi on a regular basis, but they were also starting to give me problems so I now keep it at 3.10.5 (all on Android).

So look around....and if you find it let me know.

BTW....my apps still cap a ceiling at 500m, but not at 400 feet.....I really want to try the shop vac and the drone in a box mod!

Cheers

So...don't quote me on this but I heard a white rabbit does exist. From what I have not been able to find available on the internet (because of suppression) is an .apk of an earlier version of DJIgo that did not have the 500m altitude limit. I have been looking since I bought my P3p but have settled on vs. 2.4.3 and have not allowed any updates. And for a matter of fact, I was updating Litchi on a regular basis, but they were also starting to give me problems so I now keep it at 3.10.5 (all on Android).

So look around....and if you find it let me know.

BTW....my apps still cap a ceiling at 500m, but not at 400 feet.....I really want to try the shop vac and the drone in a box mod!

Cheers

I don't know of any apps that have 400' cap. FAA & TC maximums are a different story.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94